Couch to 5K

Options
I would like to start the couch to 5k program, but when i run or walk on the treadmill my shins kill me, it doesnt matter the speed or incline and i even tried different shoes, would it be better to do this outside?

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You might want to just focus on losing weight before you begin a running program. I think you'll be surprised with how much easier it will be on your knees and shins when you're not carrying that extra weight.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Google "stretched for shin splints" or something like that. I'm bad at elaining, but there are certain stretches that can help.also, do you have a good walking base? Can you walk for 30 minutes at a brisk pace? If not, start there. Be sure to stretch, do your walking,a d as the walking gets easier, then start C25K. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting slow.
  • bakerh518
    bakerh518 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also had this problem at the beginning of getting back into running. Ive read that running on soft ground (vs pavement or the treadmill) will help to prevent shinsplints.

I found that although my shins were sore, if i spaced out my running workouts a bit more at the beginning i could ease back into it without injury. Also making sure I was good and warmed up BEFORE starting to run helped a lot.

Im also doing the couch to 5 K!

Good Luck!!!
  • huntncomfort
    Options
    my daughter ran cross country and if your shins are hurting it's a good chance you have shin splints as suggested above, this is something some of the girls would get who were new to running and a little heavier than the others, do not take this lightly, it is muscle damage, it heals but you should try diet first also cycling is what I am doing presently. Baby steps will still get you to your goal cycling causes less damage to your joints and is still good cardio.