Chinese TakeAway & Healthy

Options
In the same sentence?? I dont think so either personally

Whenever we have a take away from like a kebab house or pizza place, I will always go for a Chicken Kebab which I constantly discuss as I cannot understand how it can be unhealthy, im positive it is pretty damn good food!

The Chicken is raw and unmarinated, grilled.
Loads of salad
Pitta bread isnt the worst type of carb
The only bit of bad is the sauce really
So yeah Im a firm believer thats a healthy option

Question is, Saturday Night is always Chinese Takeaway Night....

I cannot think of anything at all from a Chinese Takeaway that isnt deep fat fried, covered in batter and just plain crap really...
Anyone know of anything at all from a Chinese that is healthy? Other wise I am going to do without tonight, make myself something to eat while everyone else is eating a very sugary high fat chinese

Thanks for reading

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Make your own Chinese meal! Stir fry some veg and chicken and eat with noodles :)
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've started ordering Mai Fun which is rice noodles (think super super thin spaghetti) mixed with all sorts of veggies and chicken. None of it is deep fried. It may or may not be sauteed in oil in a wok. Its a much healthier choice calorie wise than the general tsos chicken I used to get.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    When they order chinese at work for a company meeting or something I order steamed veggies with chicken or shrimp. Very low cal and low sodium but lacking flavor! LOL I have chinese once in a great while and get the good stuff :laugh:
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    And since we only eat out about once a month and its chinese food I don't feel too guilty about it.
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli or shrimp with chinese vegetables aren't fried. They still have a lot of sodium.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    just order something that has more veggies than rice (not the cantonese style chow mein), keep the portion small and also drink lots of water to account for the sodium. a treat meal is okay once in awhile :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,655 Member
    Options
    Beef with broccoli, or a prawn and vegetable stir fry, or Ma Po tofu with plain rice as a main. Soup as a starter--wonton or crab and sweetcorn. It's not all terrible. The typical chinese person is quite skinny. actually.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't believe Kung Pao is generally fried. Cashew chicken (or beef or shrimp) is not usually fried. Teriyaki is not usually fried. There are some options. Of course, everything is probably super high in sodium and pretty high calorie.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Well made Chinese food can definitely be healthy, Trouble is, that's not the things that are usually ordered. Consider steamed protein of your choice with vegetables, usually comes with sauce on the side. A huge order is under 400 calories. Brown rice is generally available for an additional charge or I pull some from the freezer. The soups are low in cals and filling. Beef and broccoli is low in fat and high in protein. Shrimp and mixed vegetables is also great. I expect you won't fall into the portion size trap that so many of us do.

But in the end, if it's not to your liking, or if the place isn't very good, then make your own meal. Or order in from the kebab place. I wish we had those here!
  • shapla79
    shapla79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I usually get steamed chicken with mixed vegetables and ask for the sauce on the side. They also offer brown rice for a little extra money.
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    traditional chinese food is good, but i think these chinese takeaways in uk is not the traditional chinese food, or not the way they cook it traditionally anyway

thank you for all the answers though people
  • motherofthree1974
    Options
    They have the diet part of the menu. Steam white rice with beef or chicken & broccoli. Well where i live they have that. Steam foods are always good.