Hallelujah! Half way there!

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
Today, I saw a number on the scale that has been my mini goal since November. I have lost more than 35 pounds in less than 4 months.

When my surgeon said that I would have to lose 70 pounds in order to qualify for double knee surgery, I thought that number was unattainable. I rejected the idea of gastric bypass surgery out of fear for the risks at my age and the thought of no way to reverse the procedure and the complications that would be for life.

For about 2 weeks, I just thought about the challenge of losing 70 pounds. I hadn't been near the 200 pound mark on the scale in more than 30 years. I still thought that it was impossible, when I finally made up my mind to 'diet'. That 4 letter word has always meant extreme food challenges for me. I remember living on radishes, watermelon and diet cola for a year and a half in my teens just to lose a total of 52 pounds and wind up in the hospital. Another time, I lived on one orange, a can of Slender and diet cola each day. Once per week, I supplemented that ridiculous diet with a meal of barbequed ribs at the local diner. Stupid? Yes, but that how I dieted in my youth.

I'm not in my youth anymore. At 68, I should know better. So, I started by giving up diet soda. That's a big change, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I just went to drinking tea...about a gallon of hot tea each day. I like tea, if you hadn't noticed. I then started drinking 3 meal supplement shakes and 1 meal supplement bar each day. It worked for a month, but my doctor recommended that I eat at least one meal of 'regular food' per day. That when I hooked up with MFP to start counting calories.

This hasn't been a perfect 'diet', and I still do a lot of things that most of you might question; but my doctor and nutritionist have kept a close watch on me and feel that I am healthy and pretty much on the right track with my food. The meal supplement shakes and bars are all gone now. I eat 3 meals and snacks of 'real food' each day, along with my gallon of tea.

I know many of you will want to make suggestions for changing my current food plan, but I will probably not change it too much. It is just about perfect for me, and I am content with my slow but steady weight loss.

I just wanted to share my joy at attaining 35 pounds of weight loss and reaching what seemed like an attainable goal.

I am shooting for 50 pounds of weight loss next. Now, I know that it is a very attainable goal. :)

Replies

• famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good on you! I love to hear stories about people taking responsibility for their own health and getting it done!! You going to test those new knees on a treadmill?? :wink:
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Good job!!!!
  • dfisher88
    dfisher88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep doing what works for you!
  • catsaunt
    catsaunt Posts: 5
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! You are doing wonderfully. I wish you all the best and continued success.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing. Congrats:flowerforyou:
  • marooned
    marooned Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    well done!!!
  • doublemum
    doublemum Posts: 10
    Options
    Well done!!
    Just wanted to add, I had both knees replaced, separately, 3 years ago when I was 40 (severe arthritis). Although I can't lie and tell you they were pleasant experiences, it was SO worth it.
  • Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I am glad to hear you added more real food to your doctor recommended calorie restriction.The most important thing is learning to love the foods you can still love without breaking your calorie bank for the day. It is so much harder when you are a picky eater or have food allergies or don't enjoy cooking to make progress and not get bored. You are an inspiration. I wish you continued success and hope for a fast recovery after your knee surgeries!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!