Working Out 7 Days A Week?

Options
I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on working out 7 days a week with no off day? I know your body needs to rest but I find that I can go just as long working out without one.

Replies

• time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Depends on your workout. If you doing anything that is really impacting your muscles they need time to rebuild. If your doing mostly light cardio its fine. HIIT your body needs to recover from too.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well I was working out 7 days a week until I was struck down with pneumonia 2 weeks ago. I think it's just a coincidence though. My feeling is, it's okay as long as you are mixing it up a bit, but if you do feel tired or warn out, then you should take a break.
  • BodyFreak
    BodyFreak Posts: 68
    Options
    You can train for as long as you want just make sure your getting the proper nutrition everyday and your not over working any muscle groups. You don't want to burn yourself out
  • red103112
    red103112 Posts: 20
    Options
    So what do you do if you have to take a break day and it drives you insane?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I take rest days. I still go out for a walk and do stuff on those days--I just don't lift or do any sort of cardio.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The body needs rest and even professional athletes take a rest day!!

Your workouts should be about quality not quantity!!
  • IliN82
    IliN82 Posts: 108
    Options
    I usually do even if it's just a half hour walk!
    My week goes like this:

Monday: Weight Training
    Tuesday: Cardio (either zumba or elliptical etc)
    Wednesday: Weight Training
    Thursday: Cardio
    Friday: Weight Training

On the weekend we try and go for walks or I go for a jog. I like to burn some calories so I can eat more lol!
  • red103112
    red103112 Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been doing a 3 mile hike every day this week, I just started back regularly exercising.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    The body needs rest and even professional athletes take a rest day!!

Your workouts should be about quality not quantity!!

@Topsking2010....Good Advice & I Agree :happy:
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    workout 7 days a week but it's finally caught up with me. tomorrow is a forced rest day for my muscles to recover.
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I do 7 days unless something else keeps me from it. I enjoy it, I am old and I need as much activity as I can get. Its not that I'm Arnold Swarz or anybody.
  • aumint
    aumint Posts: 19
    Options
    Your body does need rest from certain activities, that doesn't mean you have to have a day you don't work out. I am at the gym 7 days a week, but I rotate between Kickboxing, Zumba, interval training, and weight training. My "rest" day is actually a moderate session on an elliptical, enough to get my heart rate into a cardiovascular zone, or I just run a few miles. It all depends on the person and that person's fitness level. Your body will definitely give you warning signs as well, so listen to your body.
  • catsaunt
    catsaunt Posts: 5
    Options
    Believe me I'm no expert on this, but, I'm kind of old so I think I have an answer for you. I believe if you can exercise and move
    your body 7 days a week that is wonderful. Staying active is always good over not being active. I love the commercial they
    have out now that says "a body in motion stays in motion and a body at rest stays at rest." Those are some of the truest words
    I've ever heard. Believe me........keep moving. Always.
    Sincerely, Maureen
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Along with your responses, I did some searching online and found just what you all are saying...that you need a rest from strength training but it's fine to do at least light cardio every day. I only do strength training about 3 days a week and I let my muscles rest but I do elliptical or treadmill for 30-45 minutes every day so it seems I'm on the right track. I feel strong and energized and if I need a break, I will definitely take one.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    technically I work out 6 days a week. The 7th day is my stretch day and that lasts an hour. I don't burn much but I do log it just to keep track of my routine.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I stalled doing that!! Now I eat more and lift 3x a week and do cardio 1-2 times a week and am progressing better!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I workout atleast 6x a week.. there are plenty of folks out there that exercise daily, some take rest days more than others.

It's important to listen to your body. Do what works for you
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    1. I think you'll burn out
    2. If you're doing weight lifting, your muscles need time to grow… you should have at least one day off a week
    3. Set more reasonable goals because then you'll be consistent and that will give you success/results

BUT on the other hand,

It depends on what you call exercise, what volume you are doing, what intensity you are operating at, what level of fitness you are at for the task/s you are undertaking, what you are eating... its depends on so many other things
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Honestly, most people's workouts aren't a fraction of the 'work' that, say, a farmer does in a day.. most if not all days per week.

How can we adapt if we never struggle?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Persinally, i believe in wkg out 7 days a week. I dint think it hurts ur body to have 7 30-60 min training sessions in a row.