Riding Horses To Burn Calories ... anyone else?

Options
Hi everyone! So I know this is not your typical "Gym" post but I was curious who else out there is riding horses to help burn calories? I have a hunter/jumper/equitation farm so riding horses is a part of my daily job but after recently having a c-section 4 months ago I am using riding my "schoolmaster" horses to get back in shape as well as Insanity. Anyone else using horses to build up core strength, balance, and endurance? Would love to meet other "horse people"!

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I wish I was! I couldn't fit horseback riding into my schedule this semester. It's something I've always meant to get back into
  • acm2789
    acm2789 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started riding again after 4 years about 6 weeks ago. Not really for the added cardio but because I love it. I do add it into here though and am using it to help with my core strength and balance like you said. I don't have my own horse but I've been riding a paint mare, who can be challenging at times. Since it's been so long since I've ridden I'd consider myself a little above a beginner but I love it and missed it.
  • paulamcampbell
    Options
    I wish!!! I miss the riding. I had a wonderful little grey mare when I was younger. She did absolutely anything I wanted her to do. She could have done the equestrian thing but she was also turning into a barrel racer before I had to sell her. I really like I said miss the whole thing!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Sort of the other way around these days. I am using other exercises to improve my riding! :)
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I actually started out getting back into shape and losing weight so I could ride better. But now I do use it as exercise also. I do a lot of long trotting, good for the butt! Plus it does help with balance. I have two horses that I am ride and am training to barrel race. It is nice to have something that mixes my workouts up. I still run, I figure if my horse has to so do I:)
  • kimberly6106
    Options
    Wish I could ride to loose weight, but my horses are gaited, so not much of a workout! I do ride bareback a lot and find it does work my legs more.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I just got my first horse, and want to start riding everyday or every other day.....I am still only at trotting :P We ride western and do back country in the sierras (camp out under the stars - trail work - cleanup and ride in deep woods) I am just getting my horse worked for that with some basic riding, and have yet to master my lope....Lord at this weight I feel I could topple off her. I never had horses of my own growing up, but have been on em and worked with them darn near my whole life, so I can ride some.....I have alot to lose yet (80lbs) hoping this will be that fun exercise that gets it done :P
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Me! I ride my sister's horse, and it's a great burn
  • AmazingTech
    Options
    im an instructor and rider so ride a lot in a day if your riding properly and well then your ab muscles should really work hard and become stronger, alsos great for legs and bum, on average I ride at least 3 horses a day along with mucking out etc, I notice a lot of difference in my weight when im riding regularly and when im not

I feel im a little large for one of my horses at the moment so im avoiding riding her I want to loose weight so I look better in the saddle when im out showing, and competing
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Yep! It's nice to see some fellow equestrians.
  • jvnoonway
    jvnoonway Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree! While I don't ride to burn, doing other exercises help! I am also a hunter/jumper, I do a lot of no stirrup work and really work my abs a lot. lots of posting, and lots of 2pt trying to work my inner thighs! Nice to see other EQ's on here!
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Riding more is my goal - my horse needs more training, so I need to be in better shape so that I'm not so easy to get rid of when I'm riding her. :) In the past, the best shape I've ever been in has been from riding a lot, and what a fun way to lose the weight!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I love it when my abs are sore from riding. At first I go "what the - ?" and then it's "oh, I must have been doing it right." :laugh:
  • woodsy0912
    woodsy0912 Posts: 323
    Options
    The more I lose, the more the saddle hurts my butt! :laugh:
  • Daisey1900
    Options
    I have several horses that I'm working with. Some more challenging than the rest! My personal mount has just gone through 'trauma' of changing pastures, and pasture mates. Lost way too much weight, but is gaining it back again, so we will be under saddle again by next week. Rain should stop enough to ride a couple of times a week, so we should be golden. I know that I can loose the weight if I can get back on the horses. I also have two that are in desperate need of training. Over 10 years old and never taught anything but - time to eat! Should be a challenge, but both are smart and willing. Lastly two Mustangs. Older one is near 20 and still very timid among people. Just now getting close to her, but only if I have food... never expect to ride this one. Her 'baby' is now 4 and I will be starting her training this week. By the way... the last 4 are ones that I have inherited! I didn't leave them this long without training!:love:
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I own a sweet little Palomino mare named "Annie" and she is my excuse to say that I exercise.

I am a western rider and if we stay on the ranch I prefer to ride bareback but this summer will be full of grand adventures off the property and I will need a saddle then.

Soo glad to share my love with other MFPals!! Friend me if you like :)
  • kategettingbuff
    Options
    it's the best way to stay fit!! I've been riding for almost 30yrs. I've taken the last year off due to personal reasons. I coach and train as well. Ready to get back into it. I miss it like crazy!!