How Should I Work Out at the Gym?

Options
So I'm 19, male, 144 lbs, my goal is to get a tad bit more strength (not bulk up) and to lose the little amount of fat I have around my mid section and get a 6 pack, I just started going to the gym (yesterday) and I ran 3 miles, did 100 crunches, some leg presses and I benched 100 lbs and drank a protein shake afterward, but I'm unsure of what to do BEcause of muscle memorization, I don't really understand the concept too much. Should I just do random and different workouts each time I go to the gym? Or should I stick to a routine for a while? I'm not sure. And can anybody recommend a good nutrition plan to follow for the kind of results I'm looking for? It'd be much appreciated, thank you guys very much!!! P.S. I'm doing the My Fitness Pal Food Diary already too

Replies

• mookiemoomoo
    mookiemoomoo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    well done to you for starting to get fitter . you should be able to speak to instructor in gym they should be able to give you a programe if not some one will be along to help soon good luck
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd start by finding out if there's a trainer at the gym/fitness center. if there is I'd ask for a free consult and set up a routine/training guideline. I attend Anytime fitness and the trainer there will set a new routine whenever i need a change. but for 1:1 instruction, that would be paid time. Other wise invest in some fitness magazine/ muscle mags to see what they have to say or search the online counterparts. Remember that if you want to build your upper body dont neglect your lower body. remember to do plenty of squats with and with out weights. Good luck to you.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting" I have heard good things about it. I am currently using their book for women. :smile:

Good for you for getting into better shape! :smile:
  • osupike35
    osupike35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    More reps with less weight with little rest between sets. It really speeds the heart up more and burns more calories along with toning up. Muscle & Fitness has some really good routines. I found the one I use in there and have loved the results.