Feeling change, but slow weight loss..

Options
So I have been working out really hard and most of the time coming in under my calories and if I go over it is only by 100 max. I can feel and see some changes, but getting a little frustrated because I am not losing much weight. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to have them!!!

Replies

• AAmburgey
    AAmburgey Posts: 1
    Options
    I have started not using exercise as an excuse to add more calories. My goal is to stay within my calorie limit without exercise soooo ...if I do exercise it is just extra weight melting off.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    How long have you been consistently working out and coming in under calories? Also how much is "not much" weight?
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    It's hard to unplug yourself from that scale number. But if you're working out I suggest tracking your progress with a tape measure as well. I've used this story a lot on the boards, but when I gained 30 lb when I quit smoking (this was many years ago), I started doing Jazzercise. In time I lost 3 sizes but I GAINED 5 pounds!

Don't put all your emotional and motivation eggs in the scale basket. :happy: Another user put it quite elegantly a while back ... who sees the scale? Just you. Who sees the inches gone? Everybody!
  • Lumos586
    Lumos586 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi,
    when you first start to exercise, you build muscles and it does not show immediately as weight loss, but it will rather tone your body. If you have measured yourself, it will show there first and then in your "pants-looseness". (well, that's where I usually feel it first :-).
    So, don't give up, your patience will be rewarded. :-)
  • eliaison
    eliaison Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It's also possible you are gaining muscle, which is a PLUS because muscle burns more calories and increases your metabolism.

However, my husband always stresses to me the importance of measures other than the scale. For example, do you feel more fit now that you've been working out? Is there something you are doing a bit easier that was hard when you first started? Do you get less winded and have more stamina? Have you increased the weight you're lifting? Laps you're swimming, etc?

Do clothes fit any better yet? Are you measuring inches each week? For me, I have only lost three pounds, and I am intentionally losing weight VERY SLOWLY because I believe it is the only way to keep it off-- if you cut calories too much, your metabolism will adjust and you will be set to store fat the second you begin eating "normal calories" again. However, I've been surfing a lot and my legs and arms feel a bit sore- which feels good! and they feel tighter. When I flex them I can actually see shape now, they're tightening up! It's great!
  • xxquzme
    xxquzme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well i dont know what your caloric totals are or even how many cals you allow yourself daily. Just multiply your weight by 10 and take 70 percent of that. That should be your cals for the day. I guarantee that if you follow that plan you will lose weight. Dont get frustrated just yet. we have only just begun. Its okay to go over your cals now and then. Thats part of the reward and it makes taking this journey more forgiving.
  • sweetsassy6969
    Options
    I have also been aiming to keep my calorie intake below my target but I also excercise for about 45 minutes every day to 'add' to the weight loss. I was also becoming frustrated because the scale wasn't showing any change however my clothing was so I started keeping track of my measurements. I have noticed a difference in my measurements (although not as much as I would like) so perhaps keeping track of your measurements might be more effective for you too.
  • happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know exactly why you're going through. What I am about to say is pretty controversial on this site as I have found out BUT you really just have to pay attention to your body.

I stopped logging my exercise calories this month and this is the first time in almost a year that I have lost weight. I lost 4 pounds in 4 weeks, doing what I've always done but this time no eating my exercise calories when I wasn't hungry.

It makes sense to me now. If you are starving after a workout, you need to eat. If you're up to your 1200 or 1400 calories a day and you burn 400 biking and you're not hungry, don't eat just because you think you need too.

Trust me, if your body is going into starvation mode, you'll know it and you'll eat then because you're hungry. But if you're not hungry, don't worry about it.

I finally started listening to my body instead of just shoving food into my mouth because MFP told me too. I love this site but I think you still need to pay attention to YOU.

Good luck and hang in there!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I have been exercising like crazy and not losing BUT...I feel GREAT! My "tire" around my tummy is going down and I feel slimmer. SO I have decided to not freak out over the number on the scale...if I feel good and notice a difference on my body it's all good! I will take what I can get!!! GOOD LUCK! Oh and I love what the one member said about no one sees the scale but you...loved that!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have felt the same way as you, I have been working pretty hard at this since April and I have just started to see losses. One thing that held me back was that before this I was not eating enough, then eating too much all in a cycle. I read on the boards here that it is pretty common for people and it takes time for the body to adjust.

The reality is that it took time to get the weight on and it will take time to get it off. I also want to lose slowly so that it will stay off. As long as we keep trying we will get there eventually and we will make habits that we can sustain in the long term this way as well.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!!!! All the posts are very helpful and I do need to measure myself and start keeping track of that as well. I am seeing some changes in cloths and my workouts, which I am able to do longer and harder, so I just need to keep at it and in the end I am sure it will all work out!!
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    How long have you been consistently working out and coming in under calories? Also how much is "not much" weight?

I have been consistently working out for 2 months now and I think I have only lost like 4-5 pounds.
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    4-5 pounds in two months is fantastic! Don't compare your weight loss with what others are losing--this is your journey. I really believe that slow is really the safest way to lose weight--and the best bet that you'll keep it off in the long run. Keep it up!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in an 8 week period is a steady and healthy weight loss. You're losing a little more than 1/2 a pound a week. That's pretty good! If you're not losing as much as you think you should based on your calorie deficit, you may be a little off on your calorie counts (either missing some calories on intake or overestimating on exercise calories) However, I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are losing.

Congrats!
  • TOOTIE2007
    Options
    Hey how doid u losse all thats weight please let em know