Non-body building women who lift weights?

Options
Need some advice.

I am feeling the need to lift weights--heavy lifting, I think, which isn't saying much because heavy for me probably isn't that heavy. ANYWAY, I plan to scale back the cardio and amp up the weights a bit. Would like to do things that really strengthen the core. I don't have access to a lot of weight machines other than some upper body stuff, but I do have easy access to free weights--dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, and a bench.

In the past, I've been prone to developing prominent veins when I've otherwise been at my top fitness levels. I don't know if there's a way to avoid that but would love it if anyone knows tricks. Also, I'm not that interested in lower legs or arms, because I think I've got those covered. Not looking to go whole-hog body building. An "everyday gal in great shape" result would be perfect.

And I'm over 40, so that factors in some. Probably more injury-prone than I used to be. So, any advice? What's the best way to make squats and lunges "heavy?" And, what are recommended heavy lifting methods for strengthening the core? (Any no-vein approaches? :)

Replies

• HappyBayou
    HappyBayou Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dern it. No responses yet.

Anyone? Would love some advice.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Compound moves like those in the Stronglifts program will work your core. It is a free program and you already have the free weights.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There isn't much you can do to avoid veins except for staying "fatter".

I know you SAY you don't want to lift legs and arms, but why not? Lifting increases strength and bone density, and preserves muscle while you lose weight.

Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women are all really good programs for your whole body. Big compound lifts hit many muscle groups including the core and are usually the best use of time, especially for beginners.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do use free weights and weight machines in the gym, but I cannot fault the Kettlebell. Find yourself a good Kettlebell class and keep at it, even just to perfect the technique before doing it at home. and don't be afraid to go heavy as you gain strength. It's perfect for developing strength and definition on arms, legs, core, everywhere. I do 1 hour classes 3 x a week and the difference I've seen in the last 3 months is amazing. It gives the entire body a workout AND you get the cardio at the same time.

Bodypump is also good for this, or if you have a Step, or go to Step class, introducing some dumbells into a basic Step routine (there are 100's on youtube) will really make a difference, and as before, don't by shy about the weight you're using. Go heavy for results. And again you'll still get the cardio. Oh in my opinion its more fun than just doing free weights all the time. :smile:
  • RonitaL89
    RonitaL89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been faithfully doing Zuzka Lights workouts (usually 2 stacked on top of each other or at least 30 min) Her workouts are centered on strength training, I highly recommend her program http://zuzkalight.com/category/workout/
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Squats ... Heavy

Goblet squats while holding./ clutching a kettlebell or weight plate
  • MLT314
    MLT314 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I would like to start lifting too!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Look up Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting For Women (both books).

MANY women here lift heavy and are not bodybuilders.

A "no vein" approach would be keeping more body fat on you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders have lots of knowledge, why exclude us? Vascularity is partially genetics and partially how lean you are. You can prevent being super vascular during a workout by avoiding sugary and fatty foods as well as caffeine a few hours before lifting.

As far as increasing weights you could try a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Oh, and here's a success story from a friend of mine here that you might find helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929824-its-been-over-a-year-since-my-hot-affair-began
  • HappyBayou
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I am taking notes and Googling like mad. A couple of specific questions I'll address as replies below...
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

Exactly. The ease with which your veins can be seen depends on your genetics, body fat levels, and your current temperature. If you don't get too lean you won't see them.
  • HappyBayou
    Options
    There isn't much you can do to avoid veins except for staying "fatter".

I know you SAY you don't want to lift legs and arms, but why not? Lifting increases strength and bone density, and preserves muscle while you lose weight.

Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women are all really good programs for your whole body. Big compound lifts hit many muscle groups including the core and are usually the best use of time, especially for beginners.

I like the idea of that compound lifts, especially if it's a "best use of time."

I don't want to neglect arms and lower legs-- I just already work those and am satisfied. It's my core that I'm struggling with.
  • pasofan
    pasofan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    An oldie but goodie. "Strong Women Stay Young " by Miriam Nelson. Been dong it for years, and I think you can get a used copy on Amazon for a dollar
  • HappyBayou
    Options
    Look up Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting For Women (both books).

MANY women here lift heavy and are not bodybuilders.

That looks like something I can sink my teeth into. And your friend looks so healthy!,
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 (48 to be exact). I've been lifting for a while. Had been doing splits, but lately been doing the stronglifts program. It's holding my interest. In your case, you might need to tweak the app (If you use the iPhone/android app) and either tell it to go up by 2.5LBS or let YOU move it up. I predict on squats you'll go up fast, but on overhead press, in particular, I predict you'll plateau fairly soon and need to work at that weight for a few weeks. Who knows, I could be totally wrong, but I've seen a lot of women max out on over head press quickly.
    If you go with strong lifts, cue up some youtube videos on good form. Particularly for squats and deadlifts.
    OR: hire a trainer for a few weeks, but tell her up front that you want to learn COMPOUND LIFTS.
  • HappyBayou
    Options
    Bodybuilders have lots of knowledge, why exclude us? Vascularity is partially genetics and partially how lean you are. You can prevent being super vascular during a workout by avoiding sugary and fatty foods as well as caffeine a few hours before lifting.

As far as increasing weights you could try a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Yeah, no, I totally appreciate advice from bodybuilders. I see that the subject line I wrote didn't come off right. Should have been something like "Seeking advice for non- bodybuilding women who lift weights."

So, regarding the caffeine and vascularity, I thought it was beneficial to have caffeine before a work-out. Is that not the case?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Yeah, no, I totally appreciate advice from bodybuilders. I see that the subject line I wrote didn't come off right. Should have been something like "Seeking advice for non- bodybuilding women who lift weights."

So, regarding the caffeine and vascularity, I thought it was beneficial to have caffeine before a work-out. Is that not the case?

Caffeine is a great pre-workout supplement that can help provide energy and focus in the gym. Caffeine dilates the veins and increases blood flow, which makes you look more vascular (have more visible veins). Unfortunately I think you are going to have to come to terms with visible veins.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

And I'm over 40, so that factors in some. Probably more injury-prone than I used to be. So, any advice? What's the best way to make squats and lunges "heavy?" And, what are recommended heavy lifting methods for strengthening the core? (Any no-vein approaches? :)

I am also over 40 and after spending 40 years fat and sedentary I was terrified when I began NROLFW. I just finished Stage 1 and am pleased with my results (inch off belly button area, inch off hips and half inch of smallest part of waist). As far as what constitutes "heavy"...well that is relative. I began squatting 45# and in 16 workouts had moved up to 120#. My overhead press (and all upper body/arm exercises) gained in much slower increments because I have some nerve damage and strength loss as a result. However, it DID improve and way beyond where I thought I could go (started at 15 pounds and worked up to 40 - more than doubling my starting weight). I also struggle with deadlifts due to that grip strength loss, but still improve from 45# to 115# (at 115# I repeatedly let go of the damn bar, so I am stuck at that weight for a while, I think).

As far as what is best for strengthening core, remember that all compund lifts are core exercises. You will increase strength even if that was not your goal if you heavy lift based on either NROLFW or Stronglifts 5x5 (or some other program...but these are the two I hear most about).

The bottom line is pick a program and just do it. You will be amazed at how quickly you gain strength and lose inches.
  • barbie1000
    barbie1000 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know you said you are not worried about your legs or arms; but I would suggest doing squats with weights down at your side and when coming up raise them to your shoulders and then raise both arms. Once you get used to this you can jump with the arms raising. I find that full body exercises like this using weights is beneficial for your full body and core. As you get better you can use heavier weights. I am 60 this year and I use 10 lb. weights for this type of workout. You can also use the ball with weights if you have one handy. I go online myself and search under full body exercises and have found many to make you stronger. Hope this may help a bit.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Barb