Tell me what I am doing wrong (and right), PLEASE!

Options
Alright, y'all have convinced me, I changed my calorie goal to match 20% below my TDEE and have a goal to not go below my BMR. But honestly, the biggest thing I have learned in my 6 weeks on here, is that I do not have a healthy relationship with food. When I decide to be healthy, it is like I am frozen to eat anything for fear it is the wrong thing to eat. I haven't ever been anorexic, and clearly I have had no problem eating over what I should or I wouldn't be here as overweight as I am. But balancing real life reality of eating out, running a hectic schedule, an extremely tight food budget, cooking for a large family and every other excuse in the book, just makes me want to NOT eat at all, or throw in the towel and eat an entire box of girl scout cookies along with a whole pizza.

But I am not going to do that. I want to be healthy, I want to be happy, I want to figure out what works for my body and is sustainable for life not for a diet.

So please take a look at my food journal. I am upping my calories, but I want to know of the things I have been doing what should I be avoiding and what should I be eating more of. I really want to do this right.

Here is my info:
I set my GW at 155 on MFP, but honestly I don't really have one. I would love to fit back into my size 12 clothes again. I am currently a size 16 and was that when I started on here 10 lbs ago. I just want to feel better physically and emotionally. And be strong, and not HATE pictures of myself.

Female
5 ft 7 inches
CW 187 lbs
BF 45.4
Current BMR 1594
TDEE (lightly active) 2192

So I think I should be eating around 1754 calories and NOT eating my exercise calories back. With this info, I set my MFP to losing 1/2 lb per week and that sets it fairly close to 1754.
So now my food diary shows basic patterns of what I have chosen to eat, although eating out twice yesterday was very unusual. So let me hear it, the truth as you see it. What am I doing wrong? What I am doing right?

Also, I live in an area where fresh produce is often moldy and squishy and gross, it will get a little easier when summer finally gets here, but fresh fruits and vegetables are hard to come by and very expensive. And there isn't a gym here to go to, so I work out at home. I know, I know, more excuses, for me to throw out there.

Replies

• Queenofthezoo
    Queenofthezoo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CariS001
    CariS001 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd love to help! I will request you as a friend so you can see my diary.

What are you doing for exercise? What are your home workouts like? Days, activities? Videos?? I also work out at home, so can offer lots of resources there.

Have you read The New Rules of Lifting for Women? Highly recommend!

For nutrition, obviously reducing the eating out would help. But, as a mom, I know that sometimes it's tough to get dinners on the table. My "relief" came when I stopped trying to make them exciting meals. Honestly, just cook that chicken and toss it on the plate with some veggies. If the hubby doesn't like it, he can make his own :P Cook up lots of chicken on Sunday and use it throughout the week.

Veggies veggies veggies... find SOME source...even if it's frozen!

Get a list of some things you know you can and will eat that are healthy. Don't worry about switching it up too much. I also get terrified about choices, and find sticking to a schedule and routine is sooo sooo helpful!

I'm happy to chat more. Feel free to message me.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise activity, make sure you are not underestimating it as that will determine what you eat.. One thing with TDEE method is you don't eat exercise calories as they are figured in already.. so you eat the 1 # everyday, and you eat that amount.. so 200 under, means you gotta eat that 200.. SO basically no green.

Now the diary:
    You need to eat a bunch more protein
    As mentioned above, you need to eat all your calories..
    Try not to drink your calories
    Watch your sodium items, and try to cook stuff instead of using packaged foods
    Did I mention eat your calories.. You are basically eating 1300 still

Thats about it.. protein # should be much higher like 150's at the expense of your carbs.
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Great to hear you want to eat healthy!

I took a look at your food journal and have a few comments (feel free to check out my diary, I am not the best at eating healthy, but I try).

1. Get yourself a Food Scale if you do not have one. The BIGGEST issue a lot of people have is they do not accurately "guessamate" the serving size of the food they choose.

2. Stay away from Bleached Flour.

3. Get some veggies (Frozen is an option if fresh are not available, Canned is a distant third due tot he sodium)

4. Look for a Natural Peanut Butter with little or no sugar in it.

5. Fried foods are NOT your friends. They taste great, but they are not good choices.

6. I also try to stay away from "processed" foods (and meats).

To add Calories, you can add more nuts, Veggies, Fruit. Eat more often (add snacks)....

How do you like the frozen Greek Yogurt? I have not tried it yet (Actually I can not seem to find it in my Grocery store).
  • Queenofthezoo
    Options
    I actually don't consider myself someone that eats out often. Pizza nights are Friday night at out house, and I either make it myself (usually) or buy Papa Murphy's. Other than that a random playdate, might bring me to McDonald's every couple weeks, and if I am traveling. But on an average month, I probably eat out 2-3 a month. But maybe I need to cut back more. There would be an uprising if I eliminated pizza night though. The deal with the kids is that if the house is clean on Friday night, we will watch a movie and eat pizza. It is the only time we eat in front of the TV, and it has become quite the family tradition.

For work outs, I have mostly just done Leslie Sansone walking, and a HASfit beginning strength training (I just moved up from 3 lb weights to 5 lb weights). I don't log walks, running errands, that kind of thing because I figure if I did it while remaining overweight, it probably isn't worth logging. I don't have a regular routine for when I work out. So far it has just been when I find a moment where kids are occupied somewhere else. I suppose I should create a schedule. I prefer right away in the morning, but we are up and gone early on T/TH. So those days aren't as easy to get done.

And yeah, I am trying to figure out what I have been eating that is a good choice, so I can start using those for routine. I did accept you as a friend and will check out your food diary.
  • Queenofthezoo
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't figured out how to capture individual comments to respond.

But thanks for your input, everyone. Frozen greek yogurt, I really like the blueberry one, but did not care for the chocolate one at all. And typically, I love chocolate.
    How do I fit the protein in with out processed foods. Eating deli meat has actually something I started to try to up my protein intakes, and if I am to avoid that, I will be even shorter on protein. I like eggs, but it seems like that throws my cholesterol intake off the chart (according to MFP, I have never had a dr have a concern with my cholesterol).

So more vegetables, more protein, less sodium. Those are the areas I have been trying to do better at, but clearly have miles to go. There are days that I try to just throw a piece of fish on the foreman grill and have frozen veggies with it, but I am soooo hungry on those days. But maybe it is just a mental thing.
  • Queenofthezoo
    Options
    Any recommendations for a good food scale? Currently I do measure everything, but I know that food scale would be more accurate.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Sorry, I haven't figured out how to capture individual comments to respond.

But thanks for your input, everyone. Frozen greek yogurt, I really like the blueberry one, but did not care for the chocolate one at all. And typically, I love chocolate.
    How do I fit the protein in with out processed foods. Eating deli meat has actually something I started to try to up my protein intakes, and if I am to avoid that, I will be even shorter on protein. I like eggs, but it seems like that throws my cholesterol intake off the chart (according to MFP, I have never had a dr have a concern with my cholesterol).

So more vegetables, more protein, less sodium. Those are the areas I have been trying to do better at, but clearly have miles to go. There are days that I try to just throw a piece of fish on the foreman grill and have frozen veggies with it, but I am soooo hungry on those days. But maybe it is just a mental thing.

Personally, I believe that there is no greater way to get protein than from meat. I eat chicken regularly, but also eat fish, red meat, and LOVE Trader Joe's Turkey Meatballs. Now, there are others that will advocate for the usage of protein shakes, but that's just not my cup of tea!

The biggest transition I have made, is to look at the composition of my plate. I used to be the one that would have a whole plate of macaroni instead of having mac and cheese as a side dish.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=605&tbm=isch&tbnid=DpQJ0WgMRQorQM:&imgrefurl=http://www.diaryof3foodaddicts.com/2013_02_01_archive.html&docid=2GC_kigF3i2Q2M&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kMaY1fsjDRU/UREvo2SSibI/AAAAAAAAAKk/fdJFkJCOh8w/s1600/plate_food.jpg&w=467&h=400&ei=w3NMUf_PGOm1ygH0yYDoDg&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:3,s:0,i:94&iact=rc&dur=1006&page=1&tbnh=183&tbnw=214&start=0&ndsp=14&tx=132&ty=55

Take this for example - shows a breakdown of a potential dinner plate as an example.
  • Loriannelittle
    Options
    You are amazing and have motivated me more then ever. I have been doing MFP for...ever. I lost weight and then found it again which seems to be my story all to often. My problem is that when I am hungry my blood sugar drops and I get shaky and feel faint so I eat whatever is available to keep functioning. Keep up the great work and share any tips you come across :)
  • Queenofthezoo
    Options
    Aww, thanks Loriannelittle. I find that I just freeze when trying to decide what I should eat so I just don't eat anything, and then get hungry to the point that I need to just eat something and then justifying things that maybe aren't the best choices.
    Like right now at this moment, I am soooo very hungry. But in trying to keep calories under control, avoid processed foods, make sure I get protein, avoid sodium, avoid carbs, and it just gets so overwhelming. So I freeze. And think about cupcakes. It is a vicious cycle that I need to break.
    I have tried to add some "healthy" go to foods to the cupboards. But then I realize maybe they aren't that healthy either. I bought cottage cheese, but it is so high in sodium that it sits there. I have chobani yogurt but I am limiting myself to one a day, since it is high in sugar (and pricey). I was eating cream of wheat a lot, but it is high in carbs and not a lot of protein. Cheerios - same thing.

Sigh. I honestly thought I knew how to eat healthy once upon a time, but find self doubt being a part of me more and more when it comes to this.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Aww, thanks Loriannelittle. I find that I just freeze when trying to decide what I should eat so I just don't eat anything, and then get hungry to the point that I need to just eat something and then justifying things that maybe aren't the best choices.
    Like right now at this moment, I am soooo very hungry. But in trying to keep calories under control, avoid processed foods, make sure I get protein, avoid sodium, avoid carbs, and it just gets so overwhelming. So I freeze. And think about cupcakes. It is a vicious cycle that I need to break.
    I have tried to add some "healthy" go to foods to the cupboards. But then I realize maybe they aren't that healthy either. I bought cottage cheese, but it is so high in sodium that it sits there. I have chobani yogurt but I am limiting myself to one a day, since it is high in sugar (and pricey). I was eating cream of wheat a lot, but it is high in carbs and not a lot of protein. Cheerios - same thing.

Sigh. I honestly thought I knew how to eat healthy once upon a time, but find self doubt being a part of me more and more when it comes to this.
    I really admire your persistence and dedication! My advice is the same as others here. Cook chicken, beef, fish and pile on the veggies!! The more the better! Broccoli is my fav! Very filling. Make bean and lentil soups. Eat fruit. Bananas and avocados are also filling. Natural peanut or other nut butters are a must have. Cream of wheat, oatmeal or eggs for breakfast are very filling. The closer to food in its natural state you eat-the better. Use spices liberally for more flavor satisfaction. Sweet potato is your friend-filling and deliciously nutritious! Get your family in on the goodness of whole not proccessed foods. You've made a great start!
  • RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fill you kitchen with yummy, healthy things and you won't find yourself wondering what to eat! Some ideas:

Lettuce roll-up with turkey and pepper jack cheese
    Bell peppers with laughing cow wedge smeared in them
    Banana and almond butter
    Celery and peanut butter
    Veggie sticks and hummus
    Apple and s small wedge of cheddar cheese
    Turkey pepperoni--17 slices are only 70 calories!

For meals, keep salad stuff on hand. Make a taco salad with seasoned ground beef, sour cream, salsa and cheese. Just measure your portion of each, and put it on a gigantic pile of lettuce. That'll fill you up!
    Tuna and light mayo with chopped pickles in a lettuce wrap or on a pile of greens

Dinner, try making your favorite foods, but see if you can "health-ify" them! Pizza with cauliflower "crust" or lasagna with spaghetti squash and low fat mozzarella. Make it a game. (BTW, google any of the things I wrote and you will find 20 recipes!)

If you fill your kitchen with fruits and veggies and get rid of the processed stuff, it's much easier to eat them.

Good luck and hang in there!!
  • mywieghtmustcomeoff
    mywieghtmustcomeoff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Enjoy what you look like and get a picture out of what you want to become. Visit the Vitamin Aisle and if your doctor say so, start taking b-50 to increase energy and repair your muscle faster. Also, if I were you I would pick up some CLA....Note ask your doc first. Increase your water intake and exercise at different times a day and you will see a great benefit. I am over your weight, and I am just committed to making it happen. I will encourage you also.
  • spippin73
    spippin73 Posts: 60
    Options
    Try weight watchers frozen chicken patties. Sautee onions and/or jalepenos and place on top. I never eat a bun, but these are great without. I season with a little chicken fajita seasoning as I cook. These are quick and delicious. My son introduced me to them. He has lost 96 pounds and is a protein nut. Definitely working.

Giving up the carbs is difficult. That is my big weakness. I am working on that issue myself. Like you, I am starting the MFP journey again this week. All I know is to keep trying. Good luck!