I have 200 cals left- eat them?

Options
Hello,

I'm finding that when I eat carefully and plan my meals and snacks I often have about 200 spare calories left after dinner time. Should I start having an evening snack, even if I don't feel I need it? For example, today my dinner was fillet steak, tomatos, broccoli, homemade oven chips and a glass of wine- ample for dinner. I don't want to starve myself, but at the same time I feel that eating in the evening is not the best- its what made me put on weight in the first place.

My daily calorie allowance is 12,000 PLUS I get an extra 500 cals a day becuase I am breastfeeding my 9 week old baby- so really I am on 17,000 or thereabouts.

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I would....especially considering your breast feeding.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I might make myself some toast then....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, otherwise you won't be netting 1200. While I don't believe it's a magic number, netting 1000 calories a day is very little. Make sure to eat enough for yourself, and especially for your baby.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    yes
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but shouldn't you be eating a minimum of 1800/day while breastfeeding? That was the lowest a nutritionist would advise me to go.
  • JoRumbles
    Options
    I had toast and peanut butter.

Yes, I think 1,800 is the reccommended. I haven't adjusted it to that because I have been bad for guestimating weights and I usually have at least one day a week where I am over in calories- my mother makes rather good cakes. I'm starting to weigh more things now, don't want to get obsessed though.

Your body does lay down fat stores for breastfeeding- my body did a rather good job.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think you put an extra 0 somewhere. But if you're breastfeeding I'd definitely eat something.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    With breastfeeding you should try to. Instead of trying to cram the calories in at the end of the day when you don't want them, find ways to get them in earlier. A spoon of cream or coconut oil in your coffee (tastes fantastic!), an extra slosh of olive oil on your salad, butter on your veg, full fat milk, a spoon of peanut butter as a mid-afternoon snack, eat the skin on the chicken, a handful of nuts or olives etc etc.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime every night. Delicious.
  • JoRumbles
    Options
    Oops- didn't spot the extra zeros in my OP....12,000 calories a day would be as difficult to eat as 1,200.

Thanks. I think I will try to have extra snacks and keep the evening snacks to a minimum becuase in the evening I feel like i just want to "pig out"- though I did stop at one slice of peanut butter and toast.
  • April_Christine
    April_Christine Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    With breastfeeding you should try to. Instead of trying to cram the calories in at the end of the day when you don't want them, find ways to get them in earlier. A spoon of cream or coconut oil in your coffee (tastes fantastic!), an extra slosh of olive oil on your salad, butter on your veg, full fat milk, a spoon of peanut butter as a mid-afternoon snack, eat the skin on the chicken, a handful of nuts or olives etc etc.

This is fantastic advice!:bigsmile:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd eat more while BFing an baby.