Food diary- eating too little?

Options
2»

Replies

• freckletone
    Options
    hi
    a lot of people are going to tell you YOU'RE EATING TO LITTLE RAWWWRRRRR

Of course, people tend to forget that whilst certain rules apply for a lot of people, they don't apply to all
    some people NEED to eat more, some are actually fine on less.

So long as you are NOT leaving yourself hungry during the day, making sure you are eating whe you are hungry and stopping when you're full
    making sure it's all balanced then it's fine.
    910 calories sounds very low at your height but like i said, if the above applies, try not to stress

of course loss of calories in exercise comes into play so if this calorie in take is before calorie burn from exercise, i'd suggest eating the calories back that you burn.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks everyone for your input. I'm happy at the weight I am, so was mainly worried that increasing my intake would lead me to gain weight. However I do generally stay around this weight most of the time, so hopefully with exercise I will stay the same. My aim in being here is to lose fat and gain muscle, so my goal is healthy, and I want to do it the healthy way!

If you want to gain muscle, you DEFINITELY need to eat more. Your body can't build muscle unless you give it the raw materials to actually build them!
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    to gain muscle, EAT MORE and lift heavy weights. Heavy enough you reach 10 reps but can't do more than 12 reps... heavy!!! 3x a week, with rest days and limited cardio. You'll gain muscle and lose fat. and eat lots of protein.
  • dianeneufeld10
    Options
    i never get to my goal calorie, but i dont loose weight, strange but true
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Should at least eat 1200 calories a day.
  • cluthab
    cluthab Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My diary says I should be 1200 min and 1800 max.

I thought it is a function of how much you want to lose, in what time and your activity lifestyle.

I entered 1lb/week.

My wife entered 2lb/week and was given a max of 1200cals
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Your food diary only goes back 3 days so I'm not sure how long you have been sustaining this, but if you think 1.5 meals a day is sustainable, I think you have real food issues.

That is not a healthy way to live and certainly does not match up with what you have said your goals are.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think lunch is probably the answer to your problem. Is there something you do at that time of day that prevents you from eating?

If your diary reflects your normal eating habits, I'd say you aren't feeling hungry because your metabolism has gotten used to such little food and has slowed way down. This doesn't really bode well for your health, because eating so few calories puts you at great risk for nutrient deficiencies which might not give you any symptoms now but will catch up to you long-term. It's also not great for your body for your metabolism to be that slow, especially as you get older, because it will make it difficult for you to maintain bone and muscle mass.

I think you should really work on getting your calories up, and making sure you're getting all the micronutrients you need.

Setting strength training and fitness goals is a really good idea as you increase your calorie intake, because it will gear up your metabolism and ensure that your body is building lean tissue with the extra nutrients.

I still think it would be good for you to see a nutritionist if you can!
  • Lisamariewood90
    Lisamariewood90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Alot of the time I don't have lunch because I have to leave the house at 4 for work from 4-10pm, so I have to have my dinner early. I then have no breaks in work to eat, so that's usually kinda it for the day!

The thing is, generally ill eat around this amount for most of the week, but at the weekend ill go out for dinner with friends and go out at night and probably make up all the calories that I've missed out!
  • dinithig
    dinithig Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi! Everyone will say that is too little. I am trying to lose weight, and have the same dilemma as you! Of not being able to eat what is recommended! Im about 200 calories off from my recommended.
    I too am afraid of increasing the calories for fear that I would gain weight and not lose weight. BUT i also know that this calorie intake level created havoc for me (after years of yoyo dieting), and my metabolism is screwed up, so I am adding nutrient dense food after getting some tips from other fitness pal members. My body will adapt to the healthy amount of nutrients eventually.
    Now Im training my body to make use of the calorie amount I need. . I make sure my body knows that I will give it the nutrients it needs at regular intervals! I exercise and feed my body to break the pattern so that my metabolism will adjust back to being healthy (inside and out)

Do it gradually so that you wont feel uncomfortable!!
  • Lisamariewood90
    Lisamariewood90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! Everyone will say that is too little. I am trying to lose weight, and have the same dilemma as you! Of not being able to eat what is recommended! Im about 200 calories off from my recommended.
    I too am afraid of increasing the calories for fear that I would gain weight and not lose weight. BUT i also know that this calorie intake level created havoc for me (after years of yoyo dieting), and my metabolism is screwed up, so I am adding nutrient dense food after getting some tips from other fitness pal members. My body will adapt to the healthy amount of nutrients eventually.
    Now Im training my body to make use of the calorie amount I need. . I make sure my body knows that I will give it the nutrients it needs at regular intervals! I exercise and feed my body to break the pattern so that my metabolism will adjust back to being healthy (inside and out)

Do it gradually so that you wont feel uncomfortable!!

Hi, thanks for that :)
    My main fear is putting on alot of weight if I suddenly up my calories. Because I do a bit of modelling, I really can't put on any weight if I want to book shoots, so doing it gradually is probably my best bet!