Fibromyalgia, anyone? Need help!

Options
I'm wondering if there are any others on here with fibromyalgia and also wondering what you are doing to lose weight and be healthier?

I've lost about 18 lbs so far with changing my diet and started exercising by walking on the treadmill. I have to be so careful not to over do it or push myself to hard or I will pay for it and not be able to exercise at all!

I seem to have hit a plateau already and I don't know what to do about it. I don't eat breakfast as my day doesn't normally start till noon, and I have a hard time eating all my calories, especially since I am eating much healthier. My diary is public if anyone wants to look, just please look past this weekend as we had our Easter family gathering and I splurged a bit. I didn't get everything entered this past weekend since I was not eating at home and can only kind of guess portions etc.

If I can do something better please tell me, just keep in mind my health issues.

Replies

• 3saLarson
    3saLarson Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi, I have fibromyalgia too. Don't have any special advice. I just try to move as much as possible and rest when I can't. I've been using 5 pound dumb bells for 10 -15 min a day 3-4 days a week. I did read that even if we have to split up exercise into 10 min bites, a couple times a day, it will help. From looking at your diary and profile you are doing better than I am ,so I think you should just keep at it. like everything else, the FM just makes things a little more difficult, but not impossible. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I've had fibro for 20+ years, and it's at the point where I reallyyy have to pick and choose how I'm going to spend the energy that I have. So, exercise isn't a huge part of my plan. I do some when I have a bit of extra energy to spare, but mostly it's all about food for me.

Do you ever have a high-calorie day? Maybe a day where you eat at or slightly above your maintenance calories? If not, give that a try to break the plateau. I do it about once a week.
  • PrivateVenue
    PrivateVenue Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my mom and a good friend of mine have fibro.

My mom has been doing Tai Cheng for her exercise and it's helped quite a bit (her doctor recommended tai chi over yoga and since I'm a Beachbody coach, I bought the program for her so she could do it at home).

My friend is vegetarian and gluten free, which has helped her immensely.
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    hi, yep same here along with other issues...it is a challenge but one thing i found here is its not impossible, there are quite a few on here actually. have you checked out the groups? one im in is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1937-fitness-with-fibromyalgia you can prolly find some ideas there. one thing i found is just keep moving a little each day...and also by logging i am slowly finding out what i react negatively to food wise. keep at it and good luck!
  • primpixie
    primpixie Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi, I have fibromyalgia too. Like all the answers on here, I do what I can when I can, and like yourself I have drastically made my diet healthier. I have plateaued several times but then been pleasantly surprised when I suddenly shift a few punds seemingly over night.

I include in my exercise log everything from hanging up the wet washing to cleaning the cat bowls, as they say every little helps.

Once a week, I do walk into town - it isn't far and if I feel up to it I walk back - this is a good chunk of my exercise. Okay I am exhasuted afterwards but I am sure the benefits outweigh the exhaustion - fresh air, I sometimes bump into people - living like a hermit mainly, and the exercise although sometimes uncomfortable - I chose a good day where Ihave saved up my energy, makes me feel better in myself.

I have sent a friend request. May be we can lose together.
    Piixe
  • Cinnabon64
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies! I really appreciate it! This week is my eighth week of walking on the treadmill. I started at 1.7 mph for 15 minutes and now, most days do 30 minutes at 2.3 mph, some days 20 minutes. I do this mon- fri. I also log when I do some house cleaning. This is a huge accomplishment for me as I was getting 0 exercise before!

I will have to check into. Tia Cheng... Never heard of it! Also, thanks for telling me about the groups! I guess I haven't looked that far into the website! It's nice to know I am not alone! Hugs!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I didn't get an "official diagnosis" until 2011, but had been told by my original doc it was most likely what I had all the way back in 1996. It wasn't until I just couldn't take it any longer that I pursued some form of actual treatment.

For me, meds made a world of difference, and I started delving back into working out by joining a Pilates studio, which I've been going to regularly for about a year and a half. It is absolutely amazing, and while it does seem on the surface to be almost the same as yoga, they are worlds apart.

Pilates basically works to strengthen your core, which makes everything else all that much easier. A good instructor will always make adjustments to accomodate students' needs, allowing for injuries, weight issues, and health problems. At the studio I belong to there are people using different levels of resistance bands, easier variations, or even completely different movements altogether to allow everyone to progress at their own pace.

As an aside, I took a so-called pilates class at my regular gym yesterday, and thought I was dying for most of the hour. Today has been misery. So you definitely want to make sure the instructor is a good one and knows how to tailor the workout. If you do decide to check it out I hope you find it as awesome as I have! :smile:
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My aunt has fibromyalgia and can barely walk without extreme pain. She swims for her exercise and has little to no pain since there's no pressure on her joints in the water. Swimming is also an awesome workout...hope this helps :frown:
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 1999. My weight has yo yo'd over the years and I find when I weigh less I feel better. What with menopause and a job where I sit all day, I've really put on the weight and I weigh more now than I ever have. I work out 5 days a week at gym that has an indoor pool. I do strength and core training 3 days a week before work and an aquafit/toning class in the pool on Tuesdays and Thursdays after work. The pool is wonderful and I wish I could go more often. It's really tough getting this weight off and I'm trying not to get discouraged. Some days my pain is so bad and the fatigue in the morning makes me want to just stay in bed.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i don't have fibro but i have a close friend who's mom does. she can't get too much exercise in but she does some swimming a few days a week. she says that it doesn't bother her as much as any other exercise, and she is trying to get a little more in. maybe that can help if you swim a day or two a week?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I was thought to have it but have been diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue disease. I know that adding 5HTP helps with my pain a great deal. I highly recommend doing research on it to decide if it is right for you.

I have also come to find that eating a anti inflammatory diet and not eating inflammatory foods helps me in ways I never thought possible.

The pain from my auto immune disease is now under control with the exception of rainy days, then I am destined to have to be medicated.

For anyone that does not eat clean, I recommend you try it for one week and see how you feel, you will especially tell the difference if you eat something inflammatory or processed after that week. That is what made me realize it was real. With in 3 hours of eating something I should not, the pain came back so bad all I could do was lay in the sofa and cry.
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the other replies, so forgive me if I'm being repetitive. I was dx with fibro 11 years ago, so I completely understand the trials that come along with this debilitating condition. Here's what I would recommend to you (things that I do!):

1. EAT BREAKFAST!!! Even if you get up and drink a protein shake and then lay back down, you need to get your metabolism fired up early in the day.

2. Strength training and swimming are a great combo of exercise. I work with a personal trainer who is aware of my fibro and my doctor said that strengthening muscle is a great way to battle the soreness of fibro. I know it seems like it would make it worse, but it actually helps. I do strength training twice a week and then swim laps or do yoga the other days. I've experienced fewer flare-ups since exercising consistently in this way. Biggest issue for me is fatigue, but I battle through.

3. Avoid toxic foods (for me this would be simple carbohydrates) as much as possible and drink LOTS of water to keep your insides lubricated.

I couldn't see your diary, so I can't comment specifically. Feel free to add me! All the best to you!
  • klanna_
    klanna_ Posts: 2
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in 2005, right after I had my 3rd child. But with some of the med's they were putting me on, I wouldn't be able to nurse my baby. That was unacceptable to me, so I educated myself and went the herbal route and was put on a program with several herbs... In 3 weeks I felt 100% I took the herbs for 6 months and then quit. That lasted for about 3 yrs and I had another set back. bought the same herbs again and in just a couple of days was back to new. I continued to take them for a yr and quit... never had another set back and it's been several yrs! Worked for me.. :) The herbs that I took were: Lymph gland cleanse, Proactazyme Plus, Chromium GTF, Enviro-Detox, Potassium, Mag (Magnesium) Complex, B-complex, and Master Gland. Most of these herbs were from Nature's sunshine but it was a long time ago when I took all of these so i'm not sure if they are all still available.. I'm doing P90X witch is a really tough 90 workout from Beachbody.com. and am still feeling great. Just keep up the good work and keep exercising and eating whole foods. I'm not saying it will work for everyone but it did for me so that to me is amazing in its self... :)
  • Barbsunshine
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in 2005, right after I had my 3rd child. But with some of the med's they were putting me on, I wouldn't be able to nurse my baby. That was unacceptable to me, so I educated myself and went the herbal route and was put on a program with several herbs... In 3 weeks I felt 100% I took the herbs for 6 months and then quit. That lasted for about 3 yrs and I had another set back. bought the same herbs again and in just a couple of days was back to new. I continued to take them for a yr and quit... never had another set back and it's been several yrs! Worked for me.. :) The herbs that I took were: Lymph gland cleanse, Proactazyme Plus, Chromium GTF, Enviro-Detox, Potassium, Mag (Magnesium) Complex, B-complex, and Master Gland. Most of these herbs were from Nature's sunshine but it was a long time ago when I took all of these so i'm not sure if they are all still available.. I'm doing P90X witch is a really tough 90 workout from Beachbody.com. and am still feeling great. Just keep up the good work and keep exercising and eating whole foods. I'm not saying it will work for everyone but it did for me so that to me is amazing in its self... :)

Thank you so much for sharing the types of herbs that help you. I think a lot of the medications that docs put us on are what contribute to our weight gain.
  • klanna_
    klanna_ Posts: 2
    Options
    Your very welcome! :smile: I agree! They also can cause long term side effects like being toxic to your liver, kidneys, etc... I'm not against Dr's. at all but I do think we have a problem with all the meds that people are put on.. especially when it's not necessary. I will take my children to the Dr. and get a diagnosis such as, ear infections, strep, or just a virus, and then I will treat it with herbs! We are hardly ever sick in this house.. haha! and if we do get sick, it's never anything we can't tackle with herbs.. It's just really expensive! Grrr.. :smile:
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have it, 10 years now and before my GP giving my my current medication I would struggle however I now have a new lease of life.
  • DancerChic1987
    Options
    I just came across your post. I have fibro, and what i do for exercise is i use the Rebounder (Mini trampoline with handle bar to hold on to) Since it hurts my body to exercise normally, i have found that jumping on the tramp is very gentle on my joints and don't hurt them to bad while i am exercising.. I also will fill the tub with hot water while i am jumping and as soon as i am done i will immediately go in and soak in the hot bath so i am not as sore as i would be the next day if i didn't. . . That is what has helped me!