Ethiopian food?

Options
Hi,
I'm going out to an Ethiopian restaurant tonight and am completely unfamiliar with the cuisine. I understand that it is usually eaten with bits of bread instead of utensils. Anyway, can anyone give me guidance as to what to order or how to count it? I will learn the names of things tonight but don't know if they will be in the MFP database.

Anyway, long shot but worth a try!

Thanks!

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If it's authentic it's a lot of pureed beans and the bread is without flour.. it won't be high calories.. meat is a delicacy in Ethiopia..so the more authentic restaurants will have a ton of vegetarian/vegan-like dishes. I don't know how to track it.. but perhaps the bread will be in the database (it's pretty good!) and maybe just track the type of beans/meat and the amount then quick add an estimate for the sauce if you have any. When I went my plate was 3 different kinds of pureed beans.
  • texasgrower
    Options
    If you know the name of the restraunt, I would go on their web site and look at the menu. See something you like, then go on google and say "how many calories in
    ". That might give you a clue how many calories you are going to eat.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not sure how to count it but it's fairly light and healthy stuff so I just wouldn't worry about it too much. To me it tastes similar to Indian food except the bread is different/spongier.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Ethiopian food is amazing.

Every time I have gone - we would just order a set platter (most restaurants have that) and it would be a selection of wat (thick stews, not sure whats in each one) and it would come out on top of the Injera (spelling?). You use the bread to eat it - and it is great.

That is how I would order - if they don't have the platter you might have to order by dish, and most restaurants will have a description of the dish so pick the ones you like.

No idea how to log it though!
  • xtinaaj
    xtinaaj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know from experience (im ethiopian and eat it occasionely) p that the main ethiopian dishes are in the database, so remember what you eat and it should not be a problem to keep track of your calories :) the food is really nice when prepared right so enjoy it!! :)

Edit: a few suggestions - doro wat (chicken in spicy red saus), tibs (lamb/beef chops), alicha wat (without the spicy seasoning if you dont like that), yemiser wat (yummy lentils), shiro (chickpea stew), and a lot of vegetable dishes