Woke up 2 pounds heavier today!?!

Options
I weigh myself every morning and I was so upset to see the scale UP TWO POUNDS!! I know I did not eat enough calories to have a true gain (I am always under my calories) but yet, it still put me in a bad mood for the day. I am drinking extra water today and going to add some time to my rollerblading. This horrible 2 pounds better be gone in the morning. Yikes... what if it's not? I might cry.

Replies

• studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just curious... I looked at yout food diary for yesterday and saw you had "macaroni" for a snack... you entered just the noodles... was it really just the noodles or was it a 1/2 cup mac n' cheese? If it was the latter, you were probably way over your sodium limits and you are probably retaining water from the excess. Drink extra water today to flush it out and the extra weight should be gone in a few days.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't be upset. If you weigh yourself daily, you need to be prepared for fluctuation. Just drink a lot of water today, that will help flush out any water retention. :flowerforyou:
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you that your weight can fluctuate because of water intake or even when it's your TOM. My weight fluctuates a lot sometimes. That's why I stopped stepping on the scale every day. I know how you feel, seeing I added one or two pounds over night always made me feel bad for the whole day. And I tended to punish me for it by eating less. But that's not the best solution. I still work on getting a better understanding of my body and what's best for me. But the jumping numbers on the scale don't concern me much anymore.
  • LayC
    LayC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hang in there..You are still doing great! I just started back at the gymn after being NON-MOTIVATED for 2 months. However I feel great especially that I was in the gymn at 6am which is REMARKABLE for me. Not there before 8a. So keep on keeping on and we will all be pulling one for another. :) Lay
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    Options
    I too weigh myself daily however if I see flucuation I don't let it bother me. If you are this upset about 2 lbs that you know isn't a true gain, its probably not a good idea for you to weigh in everyday.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I have heard that you really shouldn't weight yourself each day because your body weight does fluctuate from day to day. Watch sodium intake, and for girls, if gets nearing "that time of the month", your body retains water and can go up a few lbs. Best of luck to you.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday and have seen fluctuations like that. I never let it get me down. I figure out what to do to change it. I have found that weighing myself everyday keeps me in check, but I know my weight can go up and down.

It could be any number of things as to why you have gained. Don't get discouraged. The warmer weather can cause water retention if you eat a lot of processed foods due to the sodium. The packaged foods sometimes aren't completely accurate.
  • santosha85
    Options
    Wow! Something must have happened over night, I woke up this morning 2 pounds heavier as well. I was so excited beacuse yesterday when I stepped on the scale I was down a total of 5 pounds and then to find out this morning I was up 2 it was kind of disapointing. However I'm going to try not to worry and drink lots of water today and hopefully tomarrow will be back to normal. Fingers crossed!
  • junebug523
    junebug523 Posts: 196
    Options
    This is why I don't weigh myself every day anymore. :ohwell: Not good for the psychological health. The scale is just one tool to measure your progress. Have you taken your measurements? I found that even though I was on a plateau for four weeks last month (at least according to the scale), I was still losing inches from my body. And really, in the end I want to be smaller, right?

Worth a try.

Good advice here, though. Drink lots of water, pay attention to the kinds of food you eat, do the research, and listen to your body. If you're exercising and eating well, you're still doing something good for your body! Keep up the good work!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    do you check your sodium intake? and how much water do you drink each day?
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just curious... I looked at yout food diary for yesterday and saw you had "macaroni" for a snack... you entered just the noodles... was it really just the noodles or was it a 1/2 cup mac n' cheese? If it was the latter, you were probably way over your sodium limits and you are probably retaining water from the excess. Drink extra water today to flush it out and the extra weight should be gone in a few days.

It was actually just plain noodles... I had for extra energy since I had planned an extra long work out session. However, a big storm came through and that workout didn't happen. But I was still under my calories.

Thanks everyone. I did what I said I was going to do.. by drinking out and working out extra extra hard. We'll see what happens.