How did you learn to accept compliments?

Options
I have lost a little over 60lbs, and as such, my body is quite smaller. I have gotten a range of reactions, all positive, but some have left me flabbergasted... Today I was at a baby shower, and they were passing out some of the more interesting gifts around in a circle so everyone could see upclose... well I was at the end of the circle, so my job was to return the gift to the table.... when I got back my friend was telling me she was checking out my butt lol. Not in a... well, she was just saying how good I looked. I turned beet red, I had no clue what to say! I also got "teacher, why is your tummy flatter" just recently! That one was cute... and I had to chuckle because my stomach is far from flat, but even little eyes are noticing! Everyone keeps commenting on my weight loss, and I feel proud, but when anyone mentions it, I get super awkward and have no idea what to say, and I am actually pretty embarrassed. Anyone else experience that?

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    I just say thanks, maybe compliment them back and move along. If you want to be modest then be modest but don't completely shut down their compliment like a lot of people do.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Just "thanks", "thank you" or "thanks for noticing" then let it go. You don't need a long dissertation (sic?).
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Yes! Fake it until you make it lol! I smile and say thank you or find a cute/funny way to agree. I haven't loss that much yet but people have already started with the compliments. In my mind I'm like its only 9 lbs, but everyone is so happy for me.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Smile, say thank you. That's all you need to do if you aren't feeling like making it into a production.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I still have difficulty accepting compliments. My brain has not kept up with the weight loss. I still see myself as a fat lady. I went from a size 24W (tight) to size 10 now. I have bought four pairs of size 10 jeans and I keep expecting the sales person to ask why this fat lady is buying size 10 jeans.
    It is embarrassing still. Maybe it takes a while for our brains to catch up with our accomplishments.
    Congratulations to you, it is kind of a nice situation to be in though, isn't it?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yep, pretty much just get into the habit of saying, "aw thank you!". I understand. It's hard to take a compliment.
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Okay, nod head, smile, say thank you... check! I think I can do that lol
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Okay, nod head, smile, say thank you... check! I think I can do that lol

yep

and try not to add any BUT....
  • sslichenmyer
    sslichenmyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    the ones that sort of bother me are the ones that say you use to be soo big your alot smaller now or look how much smaller you are
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I've finally been able to say thank you, instead of turning beet red, looking at the ground and not responding. It took a long time for me to get there. It started by forcing myself to because it was the polite thing to do, and it was really awkward at first. I'd be blushing and i'm sure i looked like an idiot struggling so hard to force the words out. Sometimes I would have to find the person later and thank them, let them know it made me feel good and I'm just not used to being complimented. After a while it just became more comfortable, though I still am a bit awkward. I'm working on it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely remember having a hard time with it at first, I am pretty sure I probably said "Thank you" and then looked at the floor.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Only recently have I learned to not deflect with humor. The best response is always a sincere, "thank you, that's really nice of you to say."

I think it's important to be able to own your strengths with pride. It does wonders for the self-esteem.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible at it. I just say thank you. They don't come often but when they do... I'm taken off guard
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I just smile big and say thank you!
    I went from a tight 16 to a 3, it does still feel unreal sometimes.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I still have difficulty accepting compliments. My brain has not kept up with the weight loss. I still see myself as a fat lady. I went from a size 24W (tight) to size 10 now. I have bought four pairs of size 10 jeans and I keep expecting the sales person to ask why this fat lady is buying size 10 jeans.
    It is embarrassing still. Maybe it takes a while for our brains to catch up with our accomplishments.
    Congratulations to you, it is kind of a nice situation to be in though, isn't it?

I feel like the sales people are wondering why I'm in their shop and not a plus size store! I still haven't learnt how to accept them, but I am getting slightly better! It's tough for sure! Suppose it will just take time! X
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I just schooled myself to answer 'thankyou' regardless of whether I agreed. I'd actively have to force it, but eventually it became habit
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes some practice...I agree; fake it 'til you make it! I usually just say, "Thanks for noticing, I've been working really hard".

Congrats on your success!
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time stopping myself from thinking the person is just being nice. its so hard to accept it in yourself.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    It's good to be gracious. A simple "thank you", even in the face of some over the top comments. Time to delete that negative programming!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Only recently have I learned to not deflect with humor. The best response is always a sincere, "thank you, that's really nice of you to say."

I think it's important to be able to own your strengths with pride. It does wonders for the self-esteem.

I agree.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!