Pasta without the...pasta

Options
lua_
lua_ Posts: 258 Member
Hi everyone,

I am a complete pasta addict. It is my vice. A piece of cake? Nope, give me some stuffed pasta with a tomato based sauce any day. This has obviously not been favourable for my waistline, that's why I was overjoyed when I tried this, and it really tasted amazing:

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/08/make-zucchini-spaghetti-linguine/

Also, this:

http://www.thelondoner.me/2012/04/skinny-spaghetti.html

The textures are nicer than real pasta, and the taste is much fresher. The only downside is that the dishes aren't as hearty as real pasta, but hearty meals were what got me out of my size 8 jeans in the first place.

Enjoy :)

Replies

• stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, just work it into your calorie allowance through portion control. I love pasta also, and I find it easy to work it in twice a week or so.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Alternatively, just work it into your calorie allowance through portion control. I love pasta also, and I find it easy to work it in twice a week or so.

This.

Pasta is a staple in my house, I refuse to live without it, and I've lost a helluva lot of body fat and poundage by having it nearly half the nights of every week.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    Those look good for what they are, but I can't imagine they would fill my pasta craving!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Snap. I just have less and add loads more veg to bulk it out (broccoli is great for this and can be chopped up into bite-sized pieces and thrown in with the pasta for the last few minutes of cooking time to save on washing up).
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash whenever I have a craving for pasta. I cook up a nice homemade sauce and serve it over the shredded squash. Not the same as pasta, it's more like a strange version of al dente, but it works for me :smile: The vegetable-type noodles have a lot more nutrients in them as well.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

This.

Pasta is a staple in my house, I refuse to live without it, and I've lost a helluva lot of body fat and poundage by having it nearly half the nights of every week.

I do also like spaghetti squash and tons of other vegetables, but they would be served along with my pasta, rather than instead of it.

I eat pasta daily and I've never had a problem with it. Keep it within your calories just like everything else...Imagining a life without pasta makes me :cry: .
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try Konjac noodles. I eat them daily as my 'pasta' and they are super super low in calories, no carbs & actually full of fiber. Great for you.
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options

This.

I do also like spaghetti squash and tons of other vegetables, but they would be served along with my pasta, rather than instead of it.

I eat pasta daily and I've never had a problem with it. Keep it within your calories just like everything else...Imagining a life without pasta makes me :cry: .

It's not that you can't ever have pasta again, even switching to an alternative half of the time could see a benefit.
  • lua_
    Options

I do have pasta, but I find I bloat easily even with normal portions. I don't substitute all of the time, but recipes like the ones I posted have really helped me not crave a full blown carb-fest every day.

Really, guys, I was just posting a recipe! No need to tell me to have pasta but control the portion...I do already know that :)
  • lua_
    Options
    I use spaghetti squash whenever I have a craving for pasta. I cook up a nice homemade sauce and serve it over the shredded squash. Not the same as pasta, it's more like a strange version of al dente, but it works for me :smile: The vegetable-type noodles have a lot more nutrients in them as well.

Is it in season? I looked for it the other day, and I couldn't find it :'(
  • aspireforfitness
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • LavenderBouquet
    Options

I just bought one a couple weeks ago, I honestly never know when anything is "in season."
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

spaghetti squash is in season during the winter months
  • Melizabeth84
    Melizabeth84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Tofu Shirataki Noodles
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I love pasta. i just mix it in with shirataki noodles, or courgette ribbons, or make a small amount of pasta, mix the sauce in, and put it into hollowed out eggplant and grill cheese on it
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I have pasta almost daily. It fits just fine into my calories and macros, and it shouldn't cause anyone bloating unless you have a gluten intolerance.

If you don't, enjoy the real thing! It's not a vice by any means!
  • lua_
    Options
    I have pasta almost daily. It fits just fine into my calories and macros, and it shouldn't cause anyone bloating unless you have a gluten intolerance.

If you don't, enjoy the real thing! It's not a vice by any means!

It's great that you can enjoy it every day, but not everyone is the same. You don't need to have a gluten intolerance to feel a little bloated and 'stodgy' after pasta, like I do.

I love pasta, and I love courgette and cabbage pasta. I like to mix it up to keep my meals varied, and sometimes I just want a lighter meal. Nothing wrong with that :)
  • jesswilks
    jesswilks Posts: 31
    Options
    thanks for posting the link looks great i am going to have to try this
  • zukilim
    zukilim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am a complete pasta addict. It is my vice. A piece of cake? Nope, give me some stuffed pasta with a tomato based sauce any day. This has obviously not been favourable for my waistline, that's why I was overjoyed when I tried this, and it really tasted amazing:

http://yourlighterside.com/2012/08/make-zucchini-spaghetti-linguine/

Also, this:

http://www.thelondoner.me/2012/04/skinny-spaghetti.html

The textures are nicer than real pasta, and the taste is much fresher. The only downside is that the dishes aren't as hearty as real pasta, but hearty meals were what got me out of my size 8 jeans in the first place.

Enjoy :)

Definitely got to have a go at these... thank you so much for sharing!!