Healthy Foods that actualy aren't that healthy

Options

Replies

• CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I hate what has happened to yogurt! Ugh, why the heck are they adding cookie crumbs to yogurt???

I have a corn allergy, so I cannot indulge in anything with HFCS- Agave nectar is good.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone that works in the meat department at our grocery store and she told me that some of the ground turkey is so high in fat is because sometimes they add the skin in order to help keep it moist. :sick:
    Ummm... What? Skin and fat are two different things.
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use RAW agave NECTAR. not syrup. This is actually pretty good for you

This is definitely what I should be using vs. Agave syrup. Ughhh!
  • tigersword
    Options
    The reason agave is touted as a better sweetening alternative is because it's low glycemic impact. Instead of consuming something sweet like cane sugar and sending your blood glucose (BG) levels spiking and then crashing shortly after (your pancreas goes OMG SUGAR MUST BREAK DOWN NOW!!!!!!!! INSULININSULININSULININSULININSULININSULININSULIN!!!!!!!), your body processes it more slowly (pancreas says, oh hey, food . . . insulin . . . insulin . . . insulin . . . insulin . . .), minimizing BG spikes which allows your body to break down the food slower, which actually helps you lose weight.

Basically, EVERYONE, not just diabetics, want their BG patterns to look more like a gentle wave, not spiky.

*It should also be noted, agave is much sweeter than corn or cane sugar. Be sure to read labels; you only need something like 1/3 or 1/4 of the portion for the same amount of sweetness.*
    This is not actually true. Fructose actually has an almost identical effect on blood sugar as glucose, I believe the ratio is 1 gram of fructose is equivalent to 0.8 grams of glucose. This is why doctors have been moving away from recommending fructose to diabetics.
  • peckish_pomegranate
    peckish_pomegranate Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I once ate nine pieces of sushi that ended up being over 1k calories, where my usual California rolls are 350 for ten.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Ummm... What? Skin and fat are two different things.
    Skin has a very high fat content, so they toss in skin to up the fat content, which in turns up the moistness when the meat is cooked.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I once ate nine pieces of sushi that ended up being over 1k calories, where my usual California rolls are 350 for ten.

YES! I just recently found out that they add sugar to the rice. SMH. I love my sushi, but now it is a treat.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hate what has happened to yogurt! Ugh, why the heck are they adding cookie crumbs to yogurt???

I agree- if I see more on the ingredients label than milk and active yogurt cultures, I don't buy it. That way I can control what I put in for flavor and texture.

Yesterday I saw a Greek yogurt-based dip. The yogurt included carageenan and pectin (both thickeners) in addition to all the fats, spices and preservatives they included to flavor it. No, thanks.

quirkytizzy mentioned granola bars; I saw a brand called "Pure Protein" and one variety contained marshmallows. Marshmallows are protein, huh? Who knew?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    generally everything at the grocery store that shouts out to you with big colorful letters that it's healthy... probably isn't. :P
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I've never heard agave syrup touted as a healthy alternative. I've only heard it used as an ethical alternative for people who avoid honey and gmo corn.

I mean, as far as health goes, your body isn't going to notice a difference. Sugar is sugar.

I've never quite understood the reasoning behind people not eating honey. Bees make a lot more honey then they can actually consume.

Bees are manipulated to produce as much honey as is possible for them for the benefit the humans who keep them. Bees in an environment outside of human manipulation, when building their own hives, choosing their own queens, and breeding according to their own wishes will not produce more honey than they need.

This is besides the point, though. For a vegan all that matters is that the animal is exploited. It doesn't matter if they'd produce extra honey anyway. What matters is that we capture these creatures, selectively breed them and destroy their genetic diversity making them susceptible to disease, kill them when it suits our needs and take as much of their honey as we can. I just can't call that ethical.

That's just my perspective on the issue.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    generally everything at the grocery store that shouts out to you with big colorful letters that it's healthy... probably isn't. :P

this hahahaha!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I was talking to someone that works in the meat department at our grocery store and she told me that some of the ground turkey is so high in fat is because sometimes they add the skin in order to help keep it moist. :sick:

there is nothing wrong with fat

I agree. It's the adding of the skin that grosses me out.
  • kristinaw1967
    Options
    Balsamic Breeze salad dressing spritzer...HFCS is the 3rd ingredient and 10 sprays has 130 mg of sodium! I was looking to see why my sodium was out of wack (in my food diary) and I realized it was the dressing! Then I looked at the ingredients and saw the HFCS & threw it away. Regular Red Wine Vinegar for me from now on.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ● "diet" & frozen "diet" foods

● agave nectar

● anything labeled: sugar free, fat free, low fat, reduced fat, __% less fat, 0 calorie

● processed honey

● artificially sweetened oatmeal packets

● artificial sweeteners

● artificially sweetened yogurts

And just to add, all organic agave & blue agave nectars are NOT raw.

Though it IS low glycemic, it's actually 10x WORSE than HFCS itself.
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    everything but water

Once I drank a lot of water and threw up
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    what is the definition of "healthy"? i mean, what is it that a food must have in order to be considered "healthy"? it's such a vague and nebulous term, that i'm curious what sort of thought process goes into determining whether a food is "healthy" or "unhealthy".

for me personally, i consider ALL food to be nothing but:

1) fuel. because all food contains calories.
    2) appealing nutrient delivery systems. the look, smell, taste, and other traits of a food make it appealing. but at the end of the day, all food is basically just the gift wrapped package around a collection of micro- and macro-nutrients. so i think of food like a christmas gift box containing vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, carbs, etc... and how the food looks and tastes is just the pretty gift wrapping on the box that makes the box appealing to you so that you'll open it. all foods contain SOME nutritional value, so i consider all of them to be "healthy", which negates the need for any such labeling.

i suppose poisonous foods could be considered "unhealthy". things like hemlock that can actually make you sick and/or kill you, i guess would count as "unhealthy". same with improperly prepared blowfish. however that would be a really small list and i don't think anyone would advocate eating such foods for their nutritional content.
  • tigersword
    Options
    ● "diet" & frozen "diet" foods

● agave nectar

● anything labeled: sugar free, fat free, low fat, reduced fat, __% less fat, 0 calorie

● processed honey

● artificially sweetened oatmeal packets

● artificial sweeteners

● artificially sweetened yogurts

And just to add, all organic agave & blue agave nectars are NOT raw.

Though it IS low glycemic, it's actually 10x WORSE than HFCS itself.
    1. What's wrong with HFCS? It's glucose and fructose, and is digested just like glucose and fructose from any other source.

2. You mentioned "glycemic;" the glycemic index has been completely debunked as being totally irrelevant in regards to human health.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with HFCS? It's glucose and fructose, and is digested just like glucose and fructose from any other source.

According to a "Stuff You Should Know" podcast on NPR, most sugars can be metabolized by cells anywhere in the body. HFCS can be metabolized only in the liver and when the liver gets more than it can handle, it turns it into triglycerides. My doc says that in his opinion, the human body just isn't meant to handle some substances, and that's one of them. I also just hate the fact that it's everywhere: drinks, bread, cheaper brands of yogurt and oatmeal... the list goes on. I've got a pretty laid-back attitude about most artificial substances figuring a little of any of them won't kill you-but this one is everywhere, even in ketchup and BBQ sauce.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    and yeah, groud turkey isn't all the great for you either. I dont eat meat anymore because of all the fat

but....but....bacon?
  • cr4leyef
    cr4leyef Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Misleading labels are irritating for me because I know a lot of innonecent people will attempt to eat better for many different reasons and are lead astray due to marketing. I think a good rule of thumb is "try to stay as close to raw and natural as we can get. It's is our best bet for health. The more ingrediants, the further we get from healthy. Luckily, our bodies were created to filter out the junk. We just need to slow down and let it work.