Question for those who have lost a lot - Always cold?

Options

Replies

• Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Cold extremities (fingers, feet, nose), as well as outright chills, are common side-effects of recent weight loss for two reasons 1) loss of insulation or 2) a drop in basal metabolic rate.

The first of these can be annoying, but is not such a bad thing with respect to weight loss goals. Mammals have a 'lower critical external temperature' at which point the body increases basal metabolic rate to keep core temperature in a survivable range. That external temperature depends on insulation. For example, Arctic foxes don't need to start ramping up their metabolic rate until -40F air temp, because of their great fur. Surprisingly, human's start ramping up metabolism around +75F external temp. This cost of keeping up body temperature can be a huge part of basal metabolism and caloric balance. As you lose insulation (fat) your body temp drops more easily and your metabolism ramps up more often to maintain core temp. If you are attempting to lose more weight this is actually a good thing for burning more calories. For those who live in cold regions, you probably have experienced this energetic cost of maintaining body temp as the extra tired feeling that comes after a bit of work or play outdoors in the winter. If you are a bit cold from time to time after losing considerable weight, but your calories are not severely reduced, you probably have little to worry about.

The second reason for feeling cold, and in this case very cold, is not such a good thing. It is a symptom of a slowing of metabolic rate due to severe calorie limitation. If you are experiencing not just the occasional cold hands but fairly severe chills and shivering at otherwise normal room temperatures, and you are not sick with a virus or infection, then you are potentially suffering from some severe metabolic depression. In this situation, your body is struggling to have enough calories to even maintain your core body temperature and is taking extreme measures, like shivering of muscles, to make up the difference. If you find that you are not just a bit cold at times, but are experiencing real chills and shivering, you should probably up your calorie intake.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes still cutting cals. So maybe once in maintaining it will get better. Makes sense! And hopefully this means summer won't be unbearably as hot now ;)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I live in Phoenix AZ. The middle of the freaking desert where anything under 100 is considered winter and yes I am always cold.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you haven't lost too much?
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm usually cold now. I used to always be hot so it's definitely taking some time to get used to it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes - I'm cold most of the time.

It can take time for your body to re-learn to thermal-regulate when you've got less 'insulation'
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough iron in your diet?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost that much, but I'm the opposite. I used to be a total wimp about the cold, but now that I'm eating more and exercising a LOT more, it doesn't bother me like it used to. I went running in shorts and a tee the other day because it was a "warm" 47F. I didn't get my heavy winter coat out of the closet until temps got below 10F.
  • murdie
    murdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me! I'm glad I'm not alone! I live in the Buffalo area also! I've been adding t-shirts,or turtle necks under everything this winter, they help. I used to wear short sleeves all winter before I lost weight. I will gladly live with a turtleneck!
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Yep. I never used to feel the cold. Now I can never really get warm. My family are always complaining I have the heat up too high.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have lost 200 lbs from my highest 9 years ago of 451 lbs. before I was always hot...hated summer, never owned a sweater, had one turtleneck, and never wore a hat or earmuffs. now it can be 85 in summer and I am in the shade and a breeze blows, I get goose bumps. there is no such thing as too many layers and i have several sizes of clothes for this fact alone!!!

I find ANY wind, no matter how hot the day is (except if it is really humid) makes me cold! I don't rarely use the AC in the house or car anymore. I went on a cruise to the caribbean (my first time) in december and honest to god I thought the ocean water was a bit chilly!!! so swimming has been ruined for me as well.

I am 38 years old and I get colder faster and stay cold longer than my aunts who are in their 70's and very petite!!!!
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Me too... always cold! Had to buy an electric blanket for my bed and a new duvet.

Was rarely cold before but I guess some of my natural insulation has been melting :)
  • becca53088
    Options
    YES! I have never been so cold in my life, even inside the house like you said. I am almost always throwing on huge sweatshirts and sweatpants to feel comfortable. I cannot wait for the summer to get here. I really hope it goes back to normal. I hate being cold!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 80 pounds and I find I am cold often.....I cant' stay warm!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So, i've lost a lot of weight. Im always, always cold. I also live in Buffalo so its cold here but even inside the house im freezing. The thermostat is set to 71 and everyday my fingers, toes and nose are like ice cubes. All while my 3 yr old wants to run around naked all day lol. So, my question is, does this regulate itself out with time?
    Since I upped my cals I've been warm. I've figured out why as well. Thermogenesis (the heat production of organisms). Dieters on very low calorie diets suck at it. If you eat more you'll probably feel warmer. Especially if you exercise.

TDEE = BMR + TEF + NEAT + EAT

BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate
    TEF = Thermal Effect of Feeding
    NEAT = Non-Exercise Associated Thermogenesis
    EAT = Exercise Associated Thermogenesis

Notice how if you're not eating enough to fuel the above that you will no doubt be colder then if you did. Thats one of many reasons why people only chose moderate deficits instead of large ones.

Also notice how when fueled, daily activity and exercise helps.

And just as an example since she's on my friends list take this post from above for example:
    I haven't lost that much, but I'm the opposite. I used to be a total wimp about the cold, but now that I'm eating more and exercising a LOT more, it doesn't bother me like it used to. I went running in shorts and a tee the other day because it was a "warm" 47F. I didn't get my heavy winter coat out of the closet until temps got below 10F.
    She eats a fair amount, she exercises, she's warm.
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm freezing all the time :frown: I'm hoping that when I stop eating reduced calories things will improve but for now it's warm clothes and thermal underlayers.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, but agree with the post about layering... I have taken to having on shawl on when it gets really chill in the house, and I may look like a little old Granny, but hey, I can then function normally, do the jobs that need to be done! And one bonus of having lost weight is that I can get tights on much more easily, so legs stay warm.
    Another problem is that if I fall there is not so much cushioning, so can damage myself more easily.... so if I am going out on uneven surfaces, I might take a walking stick!
    Next thing will be an ear trumpet, glasses and a little lace cap! Then I will really feel my age!!!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 25 pounds since 2010 and I'm a lot colder than I used to be. I don't live in cold place, rather a hot one, so it's actually kind of nice.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes, but to be fair the weather here has been quite a bit colder colder in recent years than it used to be.
  • clouxles
    clouxles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not always... But way more than when i was gimungous.