hernias

Options
Anyone have any ideas about losing these 55lbs of fat when I can't exercise? The dr. says to lose my belly so surgery will last but tells me not to exercise?? Such a conundrum....

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Did he say no exercise like weights etc? Can you walk on a treadmill etc?

You technically dont need exercise to lose weight, just adjust calories for activity level
  • mikilou88
    mikilou88 Posts: 4
    Options
    And, I'm Louise, new to the site and am 56yrs young....I'm the one who can't exercise due to hernias.....
  • mikilou88
    Options
    Thanks for the response! He says only minimal walking. No pushing, no pulling and no lifting over 5lbs...I need surgery soon..
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would focus on setting your calories for a nonactive lifestyle
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    good luck on your up coming surgery. does he mean minimal amout of walking or minimal effort while walking. if you walk at a very easy level you can burn up to 300-350 calories an hour walking. I realize he doesnt want you to strain as this can cause increased problems with the hernia before surgery. but walking at a leisurely pace should be alllowed. maybe do a 10-15 min walk in the morning and again in the evening and work up to 30 each or 1 hour at a time. again Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :flowerforyou:
  • mikilou88
    Options
    The doc said to walk just enough to get by since walking hurts like most other activities. Worker's comp is very inept her in CA so am waiting to get an ok for surgery but till then he wants me to basically be a couch potato....
  • BrattyLori
    BrattyLori Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have hernia surgery scheduled for end of July. My doc didnt tell me to stop exercising. I do 3 or 4 miles on the elliptical trainer about 4 days a week.