I need suggestions on fun ways to excercise!!!

Options
Ok heres the deal...I was actually doing pretty good on the treadmill for about a month and a half...1 mile a day and even walking at a local park sometimes, but I am bored and need help/ideas on new ways to excercise that are not going to kill me and that will be fun......videos are ok but my excercise space is very limited-any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• jenifer25873
    Options
    Ok heres the deal...I was actually doing pretty good on the treadmill for about a month and a half...1 mile a day and even walking at a local park sometimes, but I am bored and need help/ideas on new ways to excercise that are not going to kill me and that will be fun......videos are ok but my excercise space is very limited-any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    treadmills usually have options for hill training or variable speeds, if youre looking for a small change.
    however, most state parks have large nature trails that go for miles, its a refreshing experience mentally as well.

Dancing is good.
    my girlfriend likes yoga and pilates.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love the Biggest Loser Cardio Max and Power Scuplt DVDs. My boyfriend and I do them together in the living room without stepping all over one another so it will probably work for you in a limited space.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Bellydance! It is so much fun and so good for you! A really good beginning workout DVD is titled, "Luscious"...it has 3 segments...50 minutes of instruction (low intensity cardio and amazing toning)...a 45 minute workout (same type of exercise, total body toning and nonstop low intensity cardio)...and also teaches a short but really fun choreograhpy in the last segment.

I hope you give bellydance a try, you will be amazed at the results!

There are many instructional and workout DVDs out there...most of them are really good...my favorite dancers and instructors belong to World Dance New York:

www.worlddancenewyork.com

The Dancer/Instructor, "Neon", is my absolute favorite DVD instructor.

They also have all kinds of dance video instruction and workout...2 or 3 forms of latin dance as well...I always recommend dance because it is so much fun, never boring, it doesn't feel like a workout but it is one of the best forms of exercise.

There are a few members who practice Zumba...I previewed the program and can see what a good workout it is, it is high energy and looks like alot of fun!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have kids or not...But they are one of my biggest workout strategies. We do laps around the house if they fight, I follow to "make sure they do it right," we play tag in the dark, and slip and slide. We live at the end of a long cul-de-sac and do laps up and down it. Each time choosing a different way to go down the road, on a skateboard, bouncing a ball, flapping our arms, backwards...The neighbors think I'm a loon, but we get all the kids moving on in the neighborhood, so what's wrong with that? LOL I do best if I'm outside doing things...so I have a task, and think of a fun way to do it. Laundry in the house, one item from the pile to put away, then back to the pile for one more...this adds quite a few steps to the day! Anyway...Good luck!
  • runningdevil
    runningdevil Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    1. Get a dog, they need walks as much as we do! And they get SO happy when they see you with the leash!
    2. Make a playlist of your favorite dance songs on your iPod (or make a mixed CD), put it on and shake it off! Make sure you are home alone, otherwise it could be embarrassing!
    3. Take a group exercise class like kickboxing...you will sweat it all off.
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Get outside!

For me the treadmil is like a prison! Very borring. But walking/jogging outside is the best! The sights, smells, sounds, I love it!

But better yet..... I love to hike, find some local trails and hit them! Being back to nature is very peaceful. You can make it as hard or as easy as you want.

:flowerforyou:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    Get some weights into your routine. Start off slowly and customize as you go along with the program. It's great to know that you burn fat when your inactive and gives a kick in the bottom to any stubborn metabolism.

I got bored with just running with an iPod. So now, I run and exercise with a 20lb weight vest. The first week wasn't fun for my body but I've broken so many barriers at this point. It's a challenge but it's worth its weight in gold in the long run.

Hiking is FANTASTIC way of exploring the scene and burning off calories. Try it with the aforementioned weight vest one day. LOL ;)

Take dancing lessons. From bellydancing to salsa, it's all exotic and gets the blood boiling.

And my last recommendation, sit in a sauna with or without a sauna suit. It's hard work but once it's all said and done, a little reward like the sauna comes in handy.

Best of luck.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Isn't that an oxymoron?????:laugh: :laugh:

Actually, I think dancing is the most fun way to exercise.... salsa, chacha, rumba you name it!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    swimming! I love to swim :bigsmile: and how about sports like tennis or basketball? I'm sure there are parks nearby with courts?
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I like the TaeBo Cardio. I actually think it is fun. There are a lot of exercise videos that people upload on YouTube....check a couple out and see what you like.
  • jenifer25873
    Options
    i love watching the show, but i have never heard of the workout...thanks!

70606.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • aladuke26
    aladuke26 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well I have the same problem. This year I decided to join a co-ed softball league. Mind you, I haven't played in about 15 years. My whole body aches! But it is a lot of fun. Also, I start my "boot camp" next week. :cry: I will let you know how that one goes!
  • cwilson715
    cwilson715 Posts: 130
    Options
    Hey ~ this is what is working for me Biggest Loser workout DVD and Kathy Smith Rules of fat burning. I love them they are short I do 25 min cardio then upper or lower body and then abs about 60 minute workout and I feel great afterwards.

69451.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter