$8 bucks, what to make?

Options
What can I buy that is healthy and really cheap, like $8 cheap. Our account number was gotten a hold of and we only have $8! It has to be enough to feed 5 people. Please someone help. Its almost dinner time

Replies

• dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yikes!

What do you have in the house? A veggie-heavy stir fry, using frozen or fresh vegetables, would be good and cheap. Put over rice or even noodles if you have it. My favorite basic stir-fry sauce is 1/2 c of water, 1/3 c of soy sauce, some garlic powder, some chili flakes, and some ginger, mixed together and thickened with 1 Tbsp of cornstarch. You can add 1/4 of pineapple or orange juice if you have it. (If you get a can of pineapple, throw the pineapple in with the stir-fry!) You can add tofu or meat -- chicken or pork, cut into thin bits -- for more protein if you want.
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Go to a couponing website, either iheartthemart(dot)com and/or thekrazycouponlady(dot)com, find your grocery store matchup list, and print out some coupons.

I'd suggest rice and stirfry also. At walmart, small bag of white rice is $1, stirfry veggies are $2. That should leave you with enough to buy meat; chicken and turkey are the least expensive generally.

Canned meats and chilis, although not healthy, are high cal and very filling.

Next time you get paid, buy and keep AT LEAST three days worth of groceries. A month of staples is ideal.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    spaghetti with ground turkey
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my last semster of grad school and sometimes end up with $5 for the week, so I feel your pain... My first stop is usually the health food store for bulk oat bran (under $2/lb) and TVP (textured vegetable protein, high protein & fiber, versatile, and under under $3/lb). After that, I go to the grocery store for frozen veg and canned veg & beans.

It's not easy and the menus wo't be ideal, but it's doable. I wish you luck!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a good cheap source of protein. I'd probably buy eggs, a small amount of cheese, and some frozen spinach--and them make omelettes. There should be enough left over to buy a loaf of whole wheat bread. Homemade vegetable soup, with pasta and some kind of beans for protein is filling and stretches pretty far.