Question for those who have lost a lot - Always cold?

Options

Replies

• whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    32 lbs lost so far and freezing. But that is usually when I am sitting. When I am up moving around, I warm up. I assumed it was because I live in the basement in cold country (Michigan), but now I see that I am not alone in feeling cold.
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Although I do not get cold all the time, I have noticed since I lost all the fatsolation that I once had, the cold temps do get to me alot quicker. I used to not need a coat during the winter times, however now yes coat and a hat (smh) i do not want my fatsolation back but heck a brother sure does miss it for heat purposes lol
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just a little chilly in the house but outside I get really cold. I layer, but my fingers and toes still burn from the cold. I also live in WA and it's always fairly chilly here. When I lived in upstate NY it would get below -20F, though, and I was around110 after losing 55lbs and it took almost an hour to get somewhat warm after digging my car out of 4ft of snow. No fun.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I totally noticed the same thing. I used to love Minnesota winters and dreamed of retiring one day on the North Shore of Lake Superior where the trees begin leafing out in mid to late May. Now I'm seriously considering moving to So Cal when the kids have left the nest!
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Yes! I used to be cold all the time!!

It wasn't a cold intolerance normal either. It was horrible and debilitating. I would have to wear a winter coat indoors. Going outside in the winter was painful, even if it a couple degrees above freezing (I live in the suburbs of Chicago. Anything above freezing is warm in winter). I wore leggings under my pants and wrapped myself in blankets. I couldn't even drink anything remotely cold. I would heat up water to drink in an attempt to warm myself. I couldnt do outside activities with my friends. My cold intolerance destroyed my quality of life.

I found a solution by increasing my calories. I was trying to maintain, but discovered that the maintainence goal MFP set for me was too low. I upped my calories by 100, and within a couple weeks my horrible cold intolerance was gone. The beat thing is, im maintaining and havent gained any weight. I'm still slightly more cold intolerant than the average Chicagoan, but it is NOTHING like it used to be. I can actually change clothes without wincing, shivering, and breaking out in goosebumps. I don't have to layer up in coats while indoors. I can drink a cold soda and not need a thick electric blanket afterwards. I can go to clothing stores and not be too cold to try on new clothes.

I would really reccommend upping your calories, if you can. It's made such a difference to me.
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm down 70 lbs. and I am always cold now. I used to sweat for no reason, so this is a HUGE change for me. I sleep in a sweatshirt some nights! I live in NJ and this winter has nearly killed me since losing all this weight. It's just too cold!
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Never cold. I'm warm blooded.
  • TakingControl13
    Options
    This is why when you're skinny, it's mandatory to move to the beach. :tongue:

LMAO! I should tell my husband this law!!

I so read "I should tell my husband in law" I was gonna say...how does that happen!? Lol
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it gets better. For now go to Salvation Army and buy some fleece.
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This is why when you're skinny, it's mandatory to move to the beach. :tongue:
    I hate to tell you this but I live in South Ga about 10 miles from the beach and it is cold here now,. hopefully in a week it will be warming up to the low to mid 70's.and the answer to the question yes I am cold Alot now when I used to Never be. :laugh:
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm always cold, but I was actually talking earlier today about how much I used to HATE summer. The heat and the sun, being outside for too long, would make me, practically homicidal. I was SO hot and SO uncomfortable, even just in the sun for a few minutes. Being hot made me light headed and dizzy, so fast. Now, people complain about it being 90+ in our New England summers and I just shrug and say, Damn, that's hot. Then go out in a tank top and jeans. And I'm not even at goal yet. :)
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    i've only lost about 12 pounds, and this holds true for me.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

And no, I haven't lost too much, I'm 165 lbs so still need to lose 15 to be "normal" bmi. My calorie reduction isn't that drastic. But great suggestions :)

And the beach sounds amazing right now. Anything over 45 degrees sounds like swimming weather ;) Coldest winter!!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Whew....thought I was the only one in the bunch that's cold all the time!! I drink lots & lots of hot water to help my body stay warm. Being cold seems to be part of the plan to change one self's body so I guess I'll put up with it! I'd rather be thin & cold vs. staying fat...I have a lot of living to do, so thin is in for me :happy: :smile:
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I been cold for the past few years myself. Now I dress in layers, have a small heater under my desk that I run year round, extra blankets on my side of the bed and I always keep a jacket and a light blanket in my car. I hope your body regulates itself eventually but so far mine has not.
  • SwampWitch75
    SwampWitch75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I hope this happens. Right now I get hot so easily. And I live in Southern CA.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    40lbs lost and I always get cold. Find myself wrapping up in jumpers and hoodies, even under my coats when I go out, which I never used to do!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i too am always cold.
    i started to take iron pills. just one pill 2 days a week bc they give me terrible stomach problems.
    i've been a tad warmer since doing that, my hands aren't AS cold. my feet and hands are always freezing, and i'm shivering when everyone else is fine. my bf% is around 13% so that could be why too. but yea, the iron pills helped me. not sure if you have low iron though. in time your body should just used to it, you just lost all your insulation.
    i too live in ny, but downstate less than an hour from the city so it's not AS cold as it is up where you are!
    layering is my best friend. and vera wang makes a comfy pair of tights that keep my super warm under my jeans if i get too cold. and fuzzy socks.
    at my job, people always open the window and they all say it's so warm in here (none of them are really overweight either), but i'm the only one who's freezing all the time. the other day i said it was warm back here, and one of my coworkers says yeah it really is warm if you are saying it is.
    my feet are freezing as we speak lol
  • erookjr
    erookjr Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ive lost about 46 lbs now. When I was down 25 lbs, I started to noticed I was getting colder too. I've always been the type of person who was HOT all the time. But now I'm cold...Actually my body temperature flucuates tremendously, but I'm colder than before. Kinda weird. lol
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!!!!!!!
    That is something I did not expect
    I also found I can not lift as heavy as I could when I was heavier. weird!