3 normal meals? 5 small meals?

Options
Someone set me straight and please explain WHY. I am constantly hearing conflicting information and I'm starting to wonder if it even matters how often you eat, if you're meeting your calorie intake goals...

Replies

• jackieg218
    jackieg218 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it matters. I have tried the 5 small meals and I honestly can say I am better satisfied with 3 regular ones. I actually don't ever feel hungry. I think if you do better grazing on small ones then that's what works for you. Just stay with in calories and you will find a pattern that is as individual as you. Don't over think it.
  • Momieof2girls
    Momieof2girls Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with both of you, IT DOES matter. you should eat every 3-4 hours to keep your blood glucose levels up among many other things. As long as you keep those meals within your cal range you will be fine, but you have to eat more then once a day, that's silly.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you and keeps you satisfied. I do three meals with two planned snacks in between them. It is normally about 6.5 hours between my lunch and my dinner, and I really need something to tide me over until dinner. I try to make the snacks healthy and satisfying by making sure that they have both complex carbs and protein ( and I measure what I eat). I suppose the snacks could be called mini-meals, but I just don't think of them that way.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    One big meal = <3
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with both of you, IT DOES matter. you should eat every 3-4 hours to keep your blood glucose levels up among many other things. As long as you keep those meals within your cal range you will be fine, but you have to eat more then once a day, that's silly.

So, the people that do intermittent fasting and look totally ripped and are completely healthy bloodwork-wise...

are just being silly?

Bottom line, unless you have a metabolic condition that dictates otherwise, meal timing doesn't matter much at all.
  • Ltmsenergy
    Options
    There have been several studies done that show smaller meals do play a role in higher calorie burning. However, some are right that the bottom line is that taking in a lower amount of calories per day than you burn does help you to loose weight. The problem is, though, when you eat three bigger meals, your body tends to store more fat because the liver can only process a certain amount of calories "at a time" so any additional calories are stored as fat for later usage. This becomes a problem later in the day because the liver can only store a certain amount of food to use for when you are sleeping (starvation period). When people eat a big meal in the evening, because your liver has already stored its calories for the day, the rest of the calories get stored as fat because the liver can't handle them. So...my point is that the reason people should eat smaller meals is so they can use those calories for energy throughout the day so the can store a small amount of energy from those calories each time you eat. This way, it won't get overloaded, and push them into a fat storing stage. And because you are full by the end of the day from eating so much, you won't eat a large meal that converts to fat in the overnight hours. My apologies if I sound like a know-it-all, but just want to share what I've researched and read about on the subject.
  • Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Eat when you are hungry.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals...and if I am hungry, I will have a snack. No worries :)
  • aussie_nic_getting_fit
    Options
    it was recommended to me to eat every 1.5-2 hours, portion sizes are roughly the size of palm.... its the best thing ive done, i dont eat MORE. but i tend to split meals... eg... i'll have 1/2 my breakfast at 730am & the other half at 9am... half of my lunch might be at 12pm & theother half i'll eat at 1330.. and so on...

im finding im not having that 'danger time" bettween 2 & 6 pm, where i feel like im wanting to eat every thing.

i dont really crave sweets anymore & because im "constantly eating" & its GOOD CLEAN FOOD...

im not ever having htat "hunger feeling, my blood sugars (which are usually always low) are stabilising...

basically, i eat smaller portions, more often and my body is really responding to it :) preparation is the key

the reason why it was recomended to me, was because i have low blood sugars & low body temperature (which can indicate a slow metabolism), eating more often can speed up you metabolism..............in 3 weeks my body temperature HAS risen (from regualr temp of 35.4 to normal temp of 37.3)

. i havnt been able to lose weight despite eating well and regular exersise, so this was recommended. Ive been doing it for 3 weeks)
  • Ise1324
    Ise1324 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I tried the 5 meals a day and small portions every time....it only made me gain weight! So with that said, do what is going to help you. Everyone's body is different. For some people it works, for some like me it don't.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism...

eat six meals..eat three meals..eat one meal...it does not matter...basically if you are hungry eat, if you are not do not eat...

I personally skip breakfast and have my largest meal post workout with two smaller meals....
  • ndj1979
    Options

Ummmm no ...saying that you HAVE to eat every three to four hours is silly....
  • Momieof2girls
    Momieof2girls Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Great info!!
    There have been several studies done that show smaller meals do play a role in higher calorie burning. However, some are right that the bottom line is that taking in a lower amount of calories per day than you burn does help you to loose weight. The problem is, though, when you eat three bigger meals, your body tends to store more fat because the liver can only process a certain amount of calories "at a time" so any additional calories are stored as fat for later usage. This becomes a problem later in the day because the liver can only store a certain amount of food to use for when you are sleeping (starvation period). When people eat a big meal in the evening, because your liver has already stored its calories for the day, the rest of the calories get stored as fat because the liver can't handle them. So...my point is that the reason people should eat smaller meals is so they can use those calories for energy throughout the day so the can store a small amount of energy from those calories each time you eat. This way, it won't get overloaded, and push them into a fat storing stage. And because you are full by the end of the day from eating so much, you won't eat a large meal that converts to fat in the overnight hours. My apologies if I sound like a know-it-all, but just want to share what I've researched and read about on the subject.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I also want to add to the guys post. Glucose is regulated in healthy individuals. So you don't have to worry about it getting to low. When your glucose levels are not high you burn body fat.

Do you know the body slows down when you eat? How do you feel after a big huge meal? You feel energized and ready to take on the world? Eating triggers the parasympathetic nervous system slowing you down.

WHen you fast(don't eat for a specific period of time) that doesn't happen, your adrenaline goes up, which will produce energy and keep you alert.

Also when you eat, you're digesting food, digestion is taking energy that you can us for your body. This means less energy for you.

I meant to say i only ate onc a day. Not necessarily one meal. I would get in all my calories from 5pm-9pm. You eat in the evening to slow down your body and feel tired and relax.

So eating multiple times a day seems silly.

I do IF and it works well for me ...first meal 12:30 pm followed by fasted work out and largest meal post work out...
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the low carb people. "dong low carb you burn more fat because you're using more fat for energy."

I love that one.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I also want to add to the guys post. Glucose is regulated in healthy individuals. So you don't have to worry about it getting to low. When your glucose levels are not high you burn body fat.

Do you know the body slows down when you eat? How do you feel after a big huge meal? You feel energized and ready to take on the world? Eating triggers the parasympathetic nervous system slowing you down.

WHen you fast(don't eat for a specific period of time) that doesn't happen, your adrenaline goes up, which will produce energy and keep you alert.

Also when you eat, you're digesting food, digestion is taking energy that you can us for your body. This means less energy for you.

I meant to say i only ate onc a day. Not necessarily one meal. I would get in all my calories from 5pm-9pm. You eat in the evening to slow down your body and feel tired and relax.

So eating multiple times a day seems silly.

I do IF and it works well for me ...first meal 12:30 pm followed by fasted work out and largest meal post work out...

I did 20/4 for a long time. I am more leaning towards a 5:2 plan. I would eat when ever i felt like it on eating days. I didn't care about the timing.

I have been doing 18/6 for about six months now....
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options

really??? please educate on how this is great for fat loss? Meal timing is irrelevent, you can eat every hour or minute as long as you meet your caloric needs whether your on a surplus or deficit... Honestly i like 3 meals a day with snacks in between
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Just do whatever makes you feel the best. Some people like their three large meals, others, like me, eat two large meals and then I graze in between for the rest of the day/whenever I feel hungry. As long as you feel good, physically, and you stay within your calorie limits, you should be just fine.