Treadmill vs the track

Options
Has anyone noticed a difference between running on treadmill and old fashion running?

I have recently conquered my treadmill-phobia but i noticed that its harder for me to run on it compared to regular running. Am i the only one?

Replies

• pawilliams1191
    Options
    try setting an upward incline. i find that helps, especially the knees.
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Your not alone!! I can run forever on the treadie but not outside. I'm told because of the different surface and temperatures? But honestly...I'm clueless & frustrated! :)
  • nenacakesxo
    nenacakesxo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    try setting an upward incline. i find that helps, especially the knees.

ooh good tip. i'll try it next time :)
  • sonjetaylor
    Options
    I can run longer on the track than the treadmill. I guess because with the treadmill I get bored but when I'm
    running outside I get the fresh air and the scenery which makes it much easier for me.
  • nenacakesxo
    Options
    Your not alone!! I can run forever on the treadie but not outside. I'm told because of the different surface and temperatures? But honestly...I'm clueless & frustrated! :)

haha, i guess it just matters that we are running.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Treadmill dorks up my stride and makes my knee hurt. Darn indoor tracks are barely any better, especially with 13 laps=1 mile. Meh...bring on spring!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I loath running on the dreadmill, but sometimes I have to do it. I have to put a magazine over the time and distance because I am constantly looking at it and it feels like FOREVER! I would much rather run outside. Even though it is harder, I love it!
  • Jerodhold
    Jerodhold Posts: 87
    Options
    Yes running on the trendmil and outside are completly different, on the tredmil you have a set pace and a set incline (unless you change it while running) and the ground is moving but you are not unlike if you ran outside you are moving and the ground is not and your pace is not set, you will slow down and speed up and what not, and the incline changes slightly the ground is not perfectly flat. I would switch up between running on the tredmil and outside to get the best of both.
  • nenacakesxo
    Options
    Yes running on the trendmil and outside are completly different, on the tredmil you have a set pace and a set incline (unless you change it while running) and the ground is moving but you are not unlike if you ran outside you are moving and the ground is not and your pace is not set, you will slow down and speed up and what not, and the incline changes slightly the ground is not perfectly flat. I would switch up between running on the tredmil and outside to get the best of both.

i do plan on doing both
  • nenacakesxo
    Options
    Treadmill dorks up my stride and makes my knee hurt. Darn indoor tracks are barely any better, especially with 13 laps=1 mile. Meh...bring on spring!

treadmills used to make my knee hurt too but it hasnt been hurting since i bought supportive shoes!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

AGREE!

Treadmill is harder mentally and physically for me. I find my average pace is faster outside too.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I run better outdoors. I get hotter when on the treadmill cause there is only a pissy little fan on it. I need the sea breeze I get here outside. I miss running outside, I only di it on the treadmill cause of the heat outside. Now that it's almost over & done with I'll go back outside.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    If it's only between these two, Ill take the track any day. 12 minute run is my nemesis.

Isn't better to get out of the house and get some fresh air on the track then being on the treadmill?
  • kaliyat
    kaliyat Posts: 4
    Options
    I think it's because on a treadmill you're at a set speed where on a track you can run at variable speeds and maybe not even notice you're speeding up or down. I find it harder to run further on the track personally but I do both. I think it just takes some getting used to.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I actually have the opposite problem. It was very easy for me to run on the treadmill. Track/ pavement I'm still adjusting to. I can't go as far or as fast or as long on pavement as I can on a treadmill. I think the regular pace setting is a crutch of mine. I have to actively not think about it to run more than a mile or so on pavement or trail.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is harder if you set the incline high and you can get a bigger burn in a much shorter amount of time. Running outside is cool but make sure you have some quality running shoes as the surface can be brutal on the leg muscles causing injury.
  • Angie52732
    Angie52732 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I take my tablet down on the treadmill and pull up a movie on netflix so that encourages me to get down there because I can only watch the movie when I am on the treadmill. However, I am one of those people who don't have the confidence to go very long without grabbing the handrails. I try a slow jog at 4.2-4.5 and can manage about 6 minutes straight but after that I have to drop it down to 3.5-4 and usually after about 15 minutes I start grabbing the rails. I get so paranoid about falling off the back - never have - but like to be up at the front of the belt and once I hit that mid-back point I panic - I need a big belt like bunge cord to hook to the front of one side and come around behind my back and hook to the other side - to make me feel secure I guess...maybe someday I will overcome that fear :)

Today I got out and walked and the 40 minutes flew by!!! I much prefer the outside be we have had such awful cold, ice and snow I wasn't attempting it.

Angie
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i think old fashion running is way better...i dont have to worry about my balance n falling down if the speed it too fast :-)
  • nenacakesxo
    Options
    I take my tablet down on the treadmill and pull up a movie on netflix so that encourages me to get down there because I can only watch the movie when I am on the treadmill. However, I am one of those people who don't have the confidence to go very long without grabbing the handrails. I try a slow jog at 4.2-4.5 and can manage about 6 minutes straight but after that I have to drop it down to 3.5-4 and usually after about 15 minutes I start grabbing the rails. I get so paranoid about falling off the back - never have - but like to be up at the front of the belt and once I hit that mid-back point I panic - I need a big belt like bunge cord to hook to the front of one side and come around behind my back and hook to the other side - to make me feel secure I guess...maybe someday I will overcome that fear :)

Today I got out and walked and the 40 minutes flew by!!! I much prefer the outside be we have had such awful cold, ice and snow I wasn't attempting it.

Angie

i was afraid of falling off of the treadmill too. but i think it is a mind over body thing. I havent fallen yet despite my paranoia
  • nenacakesxo
    Options
    Treadmill is harder if you set the incline high and you can get a bigger burn in a much shorter amount of time. Running outside is cool but make sure you have some quality running shoes as the surface can be brutal on the leg muscles causing injury.

Recently bought new running shoes :) no injuries yet lol