do I need a surplus in calories to build muscle If ....

Options
katy_trail
katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
If I weigh more than 200lbs at 5'5?

couldn't my body just use the extra energy I've already stored for energy?

Replies

• gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No because you can't turn fat into muscle.

You need to cut fat first by eating at a deficit and then once you're down to a good BF% then start eating at a surplus to grow muscle.

It's very hard, almost impossible to cut fat and grow muscle at the same time. Why? Because fat loss requires a calorie deficit and muscle growth requires a calorie surplus.

Only newbies will make small muscle gains while on a calorie deficitif tthey're weight lifting but then it quickly stops.

You should still lift while cutting fat and on a calorie deficit though to preserve the muscle you do have.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    no but you can eat at a deficit lose fat and retain what muscle you have by lifting heavy. That's what I'm doing. I have gained a tiny bit of muscle in 4 months but probably just newbie gains.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    what if I ate a slight surplus to aid the muscle growth to do the slight bulking first?
    doesn't it make more sense it would be easier to get leanER (i'll never be lean)
    if I build then lean out? It doesn't sound like I would be much bigger than I am now?
    god I have so many noob questions.....
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    You could do it that way if you like, but then your fat is just going to be covering your muscles you're building so you won't be able to see them that well anyway and you'll just look bigger and bulky but not so much muscley. There will be muscle growing underneathbut it will be hidden bby layers of fat. This is why most people cut first and then focus on muscle gains, but again, it's totally up to how you want to do it.
  • katy_trail
    Options
    leaning out it is :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    As far as I know as a beginner you can gain muscle while on a deficit with a large body fat percentage. I think there is a Lyle McDonald article on it...edit:found it

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • gemmaleigh1989
    Options
    As far as I know as a beginner you can gain muscle while on a deficit with a large body fat percentage. I think there is a Lyle McDonald article on it...edit:found it

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

That's what I said. They are only small gains though and quickly plateaus
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Obese newbie gains are actually pretty significant
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the people on this website are the only people who believe you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit.

The fact is, to build muscle you need:
    - Resistant Exercise
    - Excess Energy
    - Excess Amino Acids

By working out, you push your muscles and indicate to your body that it needs a greater muscle base. You have excess energy already- the fact that you're 200 lbs at 5'5 means you have a definite surplus. Excess amino acids will come from your diet - you will have to eat extra protein.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Obese newbie gains are actually pretty significant