I've reached my goal! (but still have work to do)

Options
THuffman1967
THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
I'm so excited that I have finally reached my weight loss goal, even though I know that I still have some work to do in the "tightening & toning" department. I wish that I had thought to take "Before" and "After" pictures - but I didn't - so I went back through old photos and found some that are a pretty accurate representation of where I started and where I am now.

My heaviest [non-pregnancy] weight was 163 pounds. This is me in July 2009. Yikes! I thought I looked pretty cute in my new outfit!

July2009_zpsb4e3b059.png

I started going through the process of getting a divorce in the Fall of 2009. At that time a joined a gym, and started to do a weight lifting class called "24 Lift" (similar to Body Pump). I also tried a little Turbo Kick and walking on the treadmill. Divorce is stressfull and depressing, and chocolate was my go-to drug of choice, and I had a bag a day Dove Promises habit. I thought (erroneously) that I could lose weight by exercise only.

When my divorce was final in March 2010 I moved back to my parent's home in Nebraska with my two boys, and became reacquainted with my high-school/college sweetheart. He was also recently divorced, and belonged to a gym where he is a Body Pump instructor. I joined the gym and worked out several times a week, but I still didn't put a lot of thought into what I was eating. Even though I was now happier than ever, I still indulged in my Dove habit. While he was training for a marathon, we would share a pint of Java Chip Ice Cream a couple of times a week.

When we got married I weighed 155 lbs. Here we are on our Big Day!

September2010_zps9784a43b.jpg

I lost 5 pounds in September of 2011 because I was going back to Texas to see friends. After the trip, those 5 lbs. returned pretty quickly.

In May of 2012 I somehow stumbled across the MFP website. I decided that I needed to be more mindful about what I was eating, since working out alone obviously wasn't enough. I joined the MFP website and started tracking my food and exercise calories. The diary was key for me..... I was surprised to learn how much food I had actually been shoving in my mouth!! I started adding a little cardio to my 3 times a week Body Pump routine.

The first few pounds came off pretty quickly. One night at dinner I told my husband that I had set a goal of 145 pounds, and that when I hit it I was going to reward myself with a massage. He thought that was great, but asked me what my "Ultimate" weight goal would be. I pulled "125 pounds" out of the air because it sounded good for my 5'4" frame, and I hadn't weighed that since college. He told me, "If you reach that, I'll take you to Hawaii!" That was a pretty enticing carrot for me!!

In November I decided to do something that never in a MILLION years would anyone expect from me. I decided to train for the Lincoln Half-marathon. My husband and youngest son had run it the in the spring, and I thought to myself "If my 11 year old can do it, I can do it too." That is coming up in May.... Never did I think I would be a runner!

Here I am in December 2012.

December2012_zps0f9efebb.jpg

I weighed about 133 here, and we had booked our trip to Hawaii for March. I only had 8 pounds to go, and knew I could do it! My husband also joined MFP in October. He had gained a "few" pounds since the beginning of the year, and wanted to look great on the beach with me! He has since lost 40 pounds.

As our Spring Break trip to Hawaii approached, I still had about 2 pounds to lose. My youngest son joked that if I didn't reach my goal he would have to go in my place. I am happy to report that 2 days before our departure the scale read 124.3!! I did it!! Like I said in the beginning, I still have some work to do. Marathon training is on schedule, we even managed to get in a three mile and a six mile run while on the island. I am also planning to consult with a personal trainer at the gym and add a heavy lifting routine to my Body Pump and running workouts.

Here we are last week in Kauai!!

IMG_1631_zps30630dd7.jpg

And here is a photo that I would have never allowed to be taken a year ago!!

IMG_1881_zps2780997c.jpg

When I was comparing my July 2009 photo and my swimsuit photo side by side, I actually started crying. I am so happy with my new self!! People who I don't even know at the gym have came up to me and complimented me on my accomplishment. One woman called my husband and I "The Incredible Shrinking Couple!"

Now I'm looking forward to the maintenance phase. I really appreciate the support and encouragement that I have received from my MFP friends. Y'all are awesome!!! Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• THuffman1967
    THuffman1967 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sorry those last two pics are so big!! How do I resize them??
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, T! You are looking happy and healthy and ready to take on the world in great joy! Yours is a terrific story, thank you for sharing.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Loved reading! Congrats on meeting your goal! I met mine a few weeks ago and decided to keep going. Right now, like you and basically trying to tone =) Way to go. You look fantastic and I know you must feel fantastic too!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm so very happy for you and congratulations on getting there! You look fantastic!! Your hard work and dedication is inspiring and I look forward to seeing more pictures as you keep working!
  • NikinCilla
    NikinCilla Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great, congratulations :).............cant wait to get to my goal weight :)
  • courtneynicole619
    courtneynicole619 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is so inspiring! :) congratulations, you look great!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You look great! Check out your legs!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring!
    Just goes to show we can achieve whatever we want when we put our minds to it.
    You did look cute in your first pic, you was always pretty but now you look amazing and healthy too.
    Great work and great results and yes it's never really over.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!