2 powerful words...and one huge NSV

Options
Before I start, let me tell you a little about myself. I am 33 years old, and I am (currently) morbidly obese. I've started and stopped "dieting" many times and I've had countless "ah ha" moments of change but after the initial motivation and high wears off, it's never been enough.

I have been bullied as both a teenager and an adult. As a teenager, it started a downward spiral of all the things that come with being bullied; low self esteem and low self worth, negative self talk, emotional binge eating. Eventully it got very easy for me to hide behind my weight.

Fast forward to this past summer...after a serious suicide attempt and 6 weeks of intense inpatient mental health counseling, I'm on the mend. I've still got work to do, but I've know that I want to live.

Fast forward to today. I got up early to head to the gym, as per usual on Saturday mornings. (my husband is a late sleeper so I have been going while he sleeps in.) As I was making the 20 minute or so drive, I was mentally planning my workout in my head. I always get on the elliptical first then lift weights.

I said to myself "Can I do 20 minutes on the elliptical today?" and it dawned on me how powerful those 2 words are: "Can I"

At that moment, I changed my inner monologue: "I CAN do 20 minutes on the elliptical today" (I ended up doing 25!)

When I (re)started this journey in January of this year, I was able to do 2 minutes on the elliptical and I could barely walk for 10 minutes at a time. Today marks 76 consecutive days of logging and I've lost 21.4 pounds and I'm working out 5-6 days a week. I've been very blessed to have met so many wonderful people on MFP who encourage and inspire me everyday. I would not be where I am without them and I love all of you!

Replies

• lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    So proud of you, and so proud that you are my friend on this site. :)
    Thank you for sharing your story!
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is really inspiring! Keep up the great work!! I have a long way to go too...but we can do it!
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    That's so great to read, I'm also going to stop using can I or even I can't (followed by some pathetic excuse) and start with I CAN :happy:
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    You're off and running. Confidence is a great thing and it looks like you are working on it by changing Can I to I CAN! You can do anything you set your mind to. Wish you the best on this journey. Remember we all make mistakes. I've found that every day is a fresh start. Every choice counts and ounces add up to lbs. If you get off track, pick back up on the next meal.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Terrific post!! You can do it!:)
  • BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic, YOU are fantastic! No one decides your future besides you. Keep working, keep trying and you will have success in whatever you do :)
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Strong work! What a great post, thank you so much for sharing! :happy:
  • e_hayes
    e_hayes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously inspirational! You definitely motivated me to keep going!
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    congrats on your progress!!, thanks for sharing! you can do this!! take care
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Great NSV and YES YOU CAN :)
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    Know that you are not alone and not the only person to go through being bullied. I have had a lifetime of it myself I just let it roll off. The only one that needs to be happy with you is you. People are always going to hate for they are not happy with their own lives it make's them feel powerful to put other people down. Never take that out on yourself or the people who love you neither deserve that.
    I am glad you found the words "I can" they are great words to live by. Take one day at a time and push through all the negative and you will get the results you long for. Good luck to you in this journey and enjoy what you are doing because you are doing it for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Great post! GREAT NSV! And, YES, you CAN!!

I was honestly never bullied as a child, except by my step-father and his sons, my half and step-brothers. I remember well the day I decided to stop being a victim and start being a survivor. It's a powerful feeling.

You're doing great and you CAN keep on keepin' on!
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    That is great! Keep it up! You are a strong woman, you CAN do this :) I am so sorry that you have been bullied. I honestly think that people bully in order to make themselves feel better. You are obviously much stronger than you thought!! "I can" are great words to live by. Keep it up!!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Great attitude! I know you will do well! You are able to recognize the things you can do and have the power to see it through! You are inspiring!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nicely done!!! Feel free to add me.....
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You've made a huge leap! Congratulations. And yes you can!
  • peaches3683
    Options
    Great inspirational post! You go, girl! Mentally preparing for your daily workout is smart and it's amazing what you can accomplish with positive thinking. It's a journey and you're well on your way.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What a great story, so proud of you to keep trying!! Just don't give up, you will hit platues, you will have bad eating days, but the trick is to think "oh well I'll be good again tomorrow" not "oh well I buggered up, might as well keep eating" I've been slowly losing weight for 2 1/2 years, you have to not deprive yourself, because you have to be able to live with the changes IE food choices. Diets don't work long term, only a change of mind does. Good luck and keep up the great work and attitude...:smile:
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and reminding those of us facing rough times not to give up and to be positive. Good on you!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Good for you!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!