How did you learn to accept compliments?

Options

Replies

• smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    It is awkward for me too. I just go with "Thanks."
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I still have not learned to accept compliments.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes some practice...I agree; fake it 'til you make it! I usually just say, "Thanks for noticing, I've been working really hard".

Congrats on your success!

^^This is what I've been saying...congrats to everyone!!!
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    It takes time. I still have not adjusted. The nicest thing anyone said before was nice hair so going from that to having strangers call me pretty was a bit jarring at first. I still feel like I need to compliment back. Its seems rude to not so I always pick out something. I'm pretty good at girls but guys I still need to work on how to respond to men.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    "Thanks. I feel great."
  • iqjones
    iqjones Posts: 8
    Options
    the ones that sort of bother me are the ones that say you use to be soo big your alot smaller now or look how much smaller you are
    How about "you have lost a ton!" Or "you look like half of what you used to be!"
    What do you say to those?
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Okay, nod head, smile, say thank you... check! I think I can do that lol

yep

and try not to add any BUT....

The but is always the hard part for me. Currently working on that :)
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    For me, it took the right person complimenting me. The first few comments felt so sincere that I was able to respond naturally. I learned that I prefer a demure "thank you" while smiling with my eyes. That may not make any sense. LOL
  • splitdog79
    splitdog79 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's sort of awkward, I'll admit. I don't really feel any different, despite being over 150 lbs lighter. In my head I'll always be the fattest guy in any building I'll be in.

I just go with the "Why, thank you!" routine. Then they ask what diet your on or if you've had surgery and sometimes it can get to a weird place with all the prying because you don't want to be "that guy" but yeah, obviously you've been working hard on it.
  • Gloric
    Gloric Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm already awkward as hell socially, I used to be incredibly fit and under the 120kg of fat I had accumulated was a decent layer of muscle, when al lI did was diet for 6-8 months and suddenly had bulging muscles, comments came left and right.

"oh damn, you've lost weight"
    "yeah"

lol, as I said, socially awkward =P

EDIT: I also self deprecated for years while I was massive, most of them realised I wasn't sensitive about it so they were mostly genuine comments if they said anything at all. As they knew I didn't respond to flattery or negativity at all and just laughed.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Usually I just respond with "Psshhht, about friggin time you noticed. I've known I was awesome for years!!" (I may have had too little or too much attention as a kid. I really don't remember much.)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Internally I may not accept them, externally I enact gratitude towards the compliment giver. Even if you are embarrassed, not seeing what others see, still feel negative about your appearance, just thank the person and then maybe internalise the positivity later : )
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate, big time. Having a great supportive crew on MFP has helped a lot because they shower me with compliments and are so encouraging. I have learned to receive and accept their compliments and even if I may not agree or see it in myself yet, I say thank you and try to tell myself that someone sees *something* that I'm not seeing and to get out of my head to realize that I've come a long way. Many days I still see the fat girl in the mirror....I dunno when she'll go away in my head...because she's no where to be found in my house. I also get a little embarrassed when my extended family makes comments/compliments. I feel great, don't get me wrong, but really weird (especially if it's an uncle or something, hahahh). And then there are my in-person friends who don't say much at all and I wish they would just acknowledge it/me but I know that they haven't got the motivation to change yet and many are just battling the green beast of envy. There are a range of emotions that have come with the weight loss - learning to deal with them and how to respond is only a small part of it. Just smile and say thank you...even if you are beet red. YOu earned it!
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I haven't. But that's ok, I'm ugly, so I haven't had to.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can relate, big time. Having a great supportive crew on MFP has helped a lot because they shower me with compliments and are so encouraging. I have learned to receive and accept their compliments and even if I may not agree or see it in myself yet, I say thank you and try to tell myself that someone sees *something* that I'm not seeing and to get out of my head to realize that I've come a long way. Many days I still see the fat girl in the mirror....I dunno when she'll go away in my head...because she's no where to be found in my house. I also get a little embarrassed when my extended family makes comments/compliments. I feel great, don't get me wrong, but really weird (especially if it's an uncle or something, hahahh). And then there are my in-person friends who don't say much at all and I wish they would just acknowledge it/me but I know that they haven't got the motivation to change yet and many are just battling the green beast of envy. There are a range of emotions that have come with the weight loss - learning to deal with them and how to respond is only a small part of it. Just smile and say thank you...even if you are beet red. YOu earned it!

Such a genuinely sweet person. And what she said is true.
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You cannot be embarassed! You worked and worked HARD for that weight to fall off. Let everyone shower you in compliments! If you're anything like me, you didn't get compliments when you were heavier. People told you you had pretty eyes or nice hair, or anything to avoid mentioning your body.

Enjoy it!
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My foster brother hadn't seen me for a while and he said, "You've lost a lot of weight--you going through a mid-life crisis or something?"

After I stopped laughing, I said, "No, I'm going through a mid-life EXCELLENCE!"
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    this!
    I have a hard time stopping myself from thinking the person is just being nice. its so hard to accept it in yourself.
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    Bump
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time accepting them. As others said, my brain still thinks I am nearly 500 lbs. I've been slowly learning to. I don't know why but I have an easier time when I get them from a guy than from a girl. I get more shy and embarassed when it comes from a girl. :embarassed:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!