Meal plans?

Options
Where can I get an idea of what I should eat every day. I think calories are important, and staying in a specific range is what is needed. But, I also think that eating 200 calories of junk food is not the same as 200 calories of nutritious food..for overall health. If I want this to last, I suppose I need to change what I am eating.

Replies

• beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am interested in what people are eating, I try to eat a varied yet healthy diet consisting of lots of fruit veg salads chicken and fish and the occasional red meats, I see some eat the same thing daily e.g. chicken and veg but I like to mix it up a bit and hopefully get a variety of nutrients. I haven't given up on other foods I still have the occasional curry for instance but keeping it to a minimum in comparison to the good stuff. There is another post on here where people have taken photos of their meals which us interesting
  • bjean1964
    bjean1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The minimum recommended for a woman is 1200 calories. If you go through MFP and set your goal, it will tell you approximately how many calories (of course you need to stay above the minimum of 1200). If you tell it you want to lose 25 pounds in 2 weeks, it will probably tell you to eat 100 calories a day! Obviously not realistic. There are tons of plans out there that recommend no carbs, low fat, high fat/proteins/etc. But I think the best thing is to eat a balanced diet of lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, as well as fat. Our bodies need all those things to function correctly. If you really want to stick with this, I think you also have to allow yourself treats.....make this a lifestyle change. One way is to make 80% of your daily calories really healthy things (chicken, veggies, fruit, etc) and then allow 20% to be a treat food. So, if you had a 1400 calorie food plan, then 1120 is really healthy choices, and 280 calories is a treat (cookie or small amount of icecream, etc) Hope this helps.

Also, if you look at the MFP details under your Daily Nutrient Details, it will give you a guideline that you can work towards as to a general guide of Fat, Sodium, Carbs, Protein to shoot for.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi Susan,

I totally agree. I joined MFP a couple of years ago and the first time I went about it all wrong and ate junk food rather than healthy nutritious food. I lot weight but the minute I stopped, I put it all back on. This time, I have done it differently. Don't get me wrong every now and again I do have a 'treat' few days (which has been the last few days for me) but overall I try to eat well and eat healthy. Add me as a friend and check out my food diary if you would like some ideas or I have a food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com - where I take pictures of all my meals and link them to recipes!! Like I said though, I have had an off few days!!

Hope this helps.

Ax