Recovering knee and cardio

Options
Hello!

I'm in a pickle. I recently sprained a ligament in my knee (tobogganing like a mad woman) and it's driving me CRAZY! I can't walk any more than about 20 minutes a day or I really suffer for it the next day. As a person who normally walks (lots!) for exercise, I'm already feeling sluggish and stir-crazy.

My question is, what's the best way to feel like I'm still moving and working myself without using my knees?! I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to gym stuff, so any help would be great.

Thanks, all!
:) Jay

(p.s. It's been 7 weeks, so it's not constantly agonising any more, I just feel it when it accidentally twist/extend it or when I do more movement than ... practically nothing.)

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I am in rehabilitation from a knee replacement and the stationary cycle was (and still is) my best friend - did a 10 minute 160 calorie burn today doing HIIT.

Other knee friendly options is a Rowing machine, elliptical and swimming
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    Have you thought about water exercises or chair, hand weights, sit ups, crunches etc.etc. You could get yourself one of those big exercise balls there is a lot you can do with one of those. I would talk to my Dr. before doing any and make sure it is OK. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I switched from running to cycling after knee surgery, works well to keep me moving. Guy in my spin class had double knee replacement and he is over 50 y/o, he kills it.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have knee issues but due to cartilage loss. I took up boxing and absolutely love it! Bend at your knees (if you can't, skip that part,) and punch away - punch real fast! That would keep your heart rate up for cardio. I can't remember all the names for the punches, hook shot, upper cut shot, etc. Bet you can find examples on internet.

Water aerobics is also a good thing.

Hope you heal soon!
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If swimming or elliptical are too much for you now, maybe this chair workout.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Workout-at-Work-32-Minute-Chair-Workout-Video/a8/
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does your gym (if you're part of one) have rowing machines? Those are a killer workout, and I believe you can keep your feet on the ground if your knee can't handle the motion.
    If walking is alright, walking is still cardio. If you can do incline walking, all the better.
  • sipe70
    sipe70 Posts: 16
    Options
    I would agree...I am a runner and have been recovering from a PCL tear and I have found my running to be much slower. That being said I am running 13 k which is a good thing.
  • catsinbooks
    catsinbooks Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll definitely try out the rowing machine and swimming :)