question regarding frying things

Options
hello
so i cooked 2 cups of rice, and my mom advised me to use some olive oil before boiling the rice, so i used 10 ml of virgin olive oil, and "fried" the rice in it for 2 minutes before the adding the water,
my question is, how much of the nutritional value of those 10 ml is added to the rice?

much appreciated

Replies

• LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would count all of it. Add the 10mls of oil to your diary.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I would also count the whole amount.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you ate all 2 cups of it, then log all the oil you put in. Otherwise, work out the proportion of what you ate and log that.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you cook the rice by letting it absorb all the water, then you'd be eating all the oil as well. If you boil it in more water and then drain it, then you might not have eaten all the oil, I suppose. It's one of those things that are difficult to measure! If it was a couple of drops of oil I wouldn't bother, but 10 mls might be enough to make a difference.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.

If you're gonna use the oil - or butter, tastier <3 - use it all and log it as such... though I'm not sure why you'd boil rice in oil. Sounds kind of strange to me.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others.

If you're gonna use the oil - or butter, tastier <3 - use it all and log it as such... though I'm not sure why you'd boil rice in oil. Sounds kind of strange to me.

It prevents the rice from sticking together after cooking, and also adds a bit more flavour to the rice :)
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'd log but another little tip is to chuck a stock cube of your preference in the water, adds a nice flavour without the oil.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    In that situation, I'd just log it all. I tend to just fry with small amounts of fat, so it's easier just to log it all. If there's a large enough amount left over to measure, then I measure that and subtract it from the amount I log. If there's not enough left over to easily measure, then just log it.
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'd log but another little tip is to chuck a stock cube of your preference in the water, adds a nice flavour without the oil.

Does add good flavour but be sure to check the nutritional content of stock cubes - there's fat and calories in there so don't be fooled.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Sauteeing the dry rice in small amount of any fat prior to boiling is known as the pilaf method. It helps set the starch and keep the rice grains seperate and not gummy. It is a good method to use when you want to add vegetables and other seasonings to the rice.
  • SultanAlush
    SultanAlush Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    ok got it, thank you all very much