Should I eat before exercise?

Options
When I gym on a morning should I eat before I go or after?
HELP PLEASE!! :)

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am weekdays and go to the gym, I take a protein shake and have it immediately after. Then go one, get read for work and have breakfast at about 7:15am.

On Saturdays, I have breakfast first and go to the gym a bit later. Ive noticed It's usually a better workout.

I guess if you don't feel like you have the energy for a good workout, then have a snack before you go. Up to you.
  • cindijelly
    cindijelly Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My stomach feels better after, but again, I may drink a little OJ for the energy and eat much later. The more I work out, the less hungry I am. But then I do not work out before work. When I ran at 5am, I exercised, then ate. Ask a trainer at the gym.
  • DollyPocket
    DollyPocket Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think i might just have a glass of milk or somthing before i go, I cant really eat alot on a morning.

Thank you for the help! :)
  • Mugiwarah
    Mugiwarah Posts: 40
    Options
    Your insulin sensitivy seems to be at its peak in the morning, I always skip breakfast when I'm cutting I also feel more comfortable training with an empty stomach. With an empty stomach you have no nutrition in your body so your body will go directly after your fat stores to convert fat into energy, for those who worry about your body going catabolic, as long as you ate protein within the span of 48 hours your body won't go after your muscles (need to get enough protein though).

Anyways that's just me :p if you feel like eating breakfast go for it
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I never eat before exercise. Makes me feel sick when I'm working out.

Afterwards? Yes, absolutely!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Do you have enough energy to really....truly........push yourself when you are at the gym? Or are you just going through the motions. I useally have a small snack before i go just so i have a little fuel (that i easily burn off).
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It's personal preference. I never eat before exercise. Makes me feel sick when I'm working out.

Afterwards? Yes, absolutely!

Yes, it's not the same for everyone... I feel sick if I *don't* eat before my morning workout.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I do a spin class on an empty stomach 2 or 3 times a week - I just have a coffee before I go... and BAM.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I agree - personal preference. I work out early AM too so I have my coffee & a piece of string cheese while I pack my food for the day and then after working out I eat my breakfast (yogurt & fresh berries or veggie omelette). I'm lucky enough that I can eat at my desk at work. If I know I'm not going to meet my protein for the day between my three meals I'll have a protein shake. So for me a little something for energy but not enough to get sick..
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do you have enough energy to really....truly........push yourself when you are at the gym? Or are you just going through the motions. I useally have a small snack before i go just so i have a little fuel (that i easily burn off).

Uh, yes. I can smash out an hour on the treadmill at 9-10 mph without a problem on an empty stomach.

Like I said, it's personal preference and everyone's different.