Showering before and after?

Options
I always shower after a workout, who wouldn't right? But just wanted to know is it worth showering before too? Does it help with getting into your workout or is there not much point since you are just going to get gross and sweaty.
I always want to shower before a morning workout but mostly don't as I fear that by the time I've showered and stuff I will then not want to ruin my clean feel by getting sweaty and then won't want to work out.

Yes I know pretty random question but I showing before helps with with waking you up more for a workout then I will include it in. Or is a face wash enough before hand?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'd never considered showering before a workout, just seems a waste of time/water/energy. I just pull on a vest and bottoms that I've already worn, sweat it out then throw them and myself in the wash afterwards. But then I workout at home so no-one else has to see/smell me!
  • Liliansamata
    Liliansamata Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Defiantly shower before a workout. Have you ever been beside somebody on a treadmill/ biker elliptical machine who has not washed before working. Body OdourSMELL is awful and as the training gets intense, so does the SMELL????. How would you feel if that person was you?. It takes about five minutes to get washed, dried and put deodorant on!!

After all that hardworking, another shower is required????
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I only shower after, but I don't really sweat a lot since I'm not a cardio bunny 30 mins is my max amount of cardio LOL
  • darvin1023
    darvin1023 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I shower before i workout for the following reasons:
    1. It wakes me up.
    2. it gets me in the "ready, get set...." mindset so i can do my best in the gym.
    3. I'm a guy. I know I how smell. I don't want to torture the person next to me in the cardio machine, so early in the morning. LOL.

Then after 1hrs of cardio, i go back to the locker room and change shirts, so i can go back to the gym do my next set of exercises.
    After that 2nd set, i then take another shower before going about my day.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Defiantly shower before a workout. Have you ever been beside somebody on a treadmill/ biker elliptical machine who has not washed before working. Body OdourSMELL is awful and as the training gets intense, so does the SMELL????. How would you feel if that person was you?. It takes about five minutes to get washed, dried and put deodorant on!!

After all that hardworking, another shower is required????

I work out after work - so I don't shower before a workout. BUT even if I did - I'd still sweat loads and sadly smell.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I don't like strangers to be around me much so i just choose to not shower at all. It is a waste of this earths precious water anyway. Go green and don't bother.
  • MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to the gym I always shower before and after.
    If I'm excersising at home like today, I only shower after.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am, go to the toilet, wash my face, brunch my teeth, get dressed and leave for the gym. Have a shower etc when I get back. All good.
  • Claire_x90
    Options
    I just do it after, my quick showers take about 20 minutes lol, if I did that before a work out I'd never go.
    I go to a public gym and I arrive smelling, oily hair, half in pj's and no make up, if I offend other gym patrons then they can just use equipment on the other side than me! lol, besides half the guys in there work up a massive sweat and stink way worse than I do
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    My friend always has to shower before going to the gym and I never understood why and I make fun of him for it, lol. I guess I never factored in the smell thing, but I figured, you're at a gym so you bound to sweat and smell any ways? Maybe some people think they smell worse than others?
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i shower after purely cos i have limited water usage, anyways i honestly i think its a waste of time.
  • rendonjr
    rendonjr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I shower in the am when I get up. work out around 5 am and shower again. I think that it helps to relax and wake up the muscles.
    It is a routine I believe in. I am one that tends to need alot of warm up so I feel that the hot water hitting my legs and back helps.
  • ladypenel
    ladypenel Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't like strangers to be around me much so i just choose to not shower at all. It is a waste of this earths precious water anyway. Go green and don't bother.

Ha ha ha!
  • Chrissy292018
    Chrissy292018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I literally roll out of bed, brush my teeth, get dresses, put my hair up and go. Takes me 15 minutes to get ready. Would never shower before a workout considering im going to sweat...
  • FlabToFabLetsGOOO
    FlabToFabLetsGOOO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I personally would shower before working out at a public gym because I didnt want to run into friends or neighbors not only looking rough but ALSO smelling like a dirty sock!!! Ewwww! LOL!! But we should all consider that working out is not fun for a lot of people folks, lets not add to their torture and make it a TORTURE SESSION AND FUNKY SMELL FEST TOO!! LOL.... However, if you're working out at home I think 2 showers is a waste of time....well.....unless youre abnormally funky in the morning and REQUIRE 2 showers lol....And if thats the case? I would highly recommend you consider a minimum of THREE showers per day cuz you'll def need one when you get home from work... ;) (Thanks for letting me share) Hahahahha!! =P
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I having trouble putting into words how odd it strikes me that people take a shower before they go to the gym. The fact that the hot water helps loosen your muscles I can understand. Worrying that you smell? Hello? If you work out hard, you're going to work up a sweat. Not wearing deodorant on the other hand, is offensive.

Even when I was in college and did early morning team workouts in a cramped room with 20 other women it never occurred to me (or anyone else as far as I know) to shower beforehand.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I shower before and after. Showering before wakes me up and warms me up. I definitely shower after too.