Cardio suggestions please! - Achilles pain problem

Options
Can anyone kindly suggest cardio exercises that I can do at home whilst I wait for my Achilles pain to go away?

I can't put my weight on one ankle at the moment without a sharp pain. It's a tennis injury and i have stretches to do from the physio. It could be a few weeks till it has healed.

I don't want to stop exercising!, So all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks very much

Replies

• bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Can anyone kindly suggest cardio exercises that I can do at home whilst I wait for my Achilles pain to go away?

I can't put my weight on one ankle at the moment without a sharp pain. It's a tennis injury and i have stretches to do from the physio. It could be a few weeks till it has healed.

I don't want to stop exercising!, So all suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks very much

I'm in a similar position - pain in my foot so can't do my exercise DVDs any more. I am doing swimming because I always think the support of the water is good (hope that's right - im no expert!). i would love to hear other people's suggestions
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    What about stationery shadow-boxing? Semi-squat position and punch it out. Gentle stretching of your achilles at the same time. I get achilles problems too and I find that I can go on the rower as long as i build into the full stretch carefully (1 mins arms only, 1 min move bottom about an inch forward, 1 min move bottom 3 inches forward, 1 min shins upright and then into rowing properly). I can also go on the exercise bike too and that doesn't seem to pull my achilles - again, go slowly to start.
  • SvelteGirl
    SvelteGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good idea, I will start punching things, i know that it is very good exercise.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I've always used handcranks if I had ankle/leg problems.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    you can get a speed bag (punching bag) or if you have access to an elliptical machine they have programs where you only use your arms. you could do cardio without using your legs at all.
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    are you able to swim? could do the "pull" swimming where you put the floater between your feet/knees and just focus on your arm strength....
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    What about riding a stationary bicycle.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Stationary boxing but I have to say you don't need intense cardio to burn calories and see change.

So push ups from your knees
    Sit ups of varying types
    Lower leg ab raises
    Yoga - any position not putting pressure on your ankle which will strengthen your core and tone you
    Tricep tips with weight more on your good leg

Good luck and keep active
  • SvelteGirl
    SvelteGirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So many great suggestions, thank you, everybody, I am working my way through them!