5Ks at 21 and 27 weeks pregnant

Options
I want to run 5Ks at 21 and 27 weeks pregnant. I've run before but only last spring/summer/fall. I stayed in shape over the winter and have started back up running now. I am 10 weeks pregnant now and want to run a 5K the beginning of June (21 weeks) and another the end of July (27 weeks). Any advice on how to make this happen? This is my 3rd and I'm already showing some, will I need a support belt? Oh and I am 4'9" starting this pregnancy at ~114 (just barely "normal"). I am 119 now and figure I'll be around 125 for the first and maybe 130 for the second.

Replies

• ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think that is something to monitor and ask your doctor about. I have heard of women continuing running all throughout their pregnancy so long as it is something they were conditioned to it prior.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be undertaking this level of exercise whilst preggers...
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Definitely something to talk to your doctor about...
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    Current medical advice is that if you are fit then you can carry on for as long as you feel able - just listen to your body! Plenty of women run through their pregnancy, just take it slow and if it hurts then STOP. You won't hurt baby, they are in a bubble of water, they will get a lot more blood flow, but do remember your blood capacity rises during pregnancy which means your heart has to pump harder as it is - don't overdo it! Apart from that, you're pregnant, not ill, enjoy it, look after yourself and your baby and you will reap the rewards afterwards :-)
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i ran all throughout my pregnancy up until a week before i gave birth. towards the end, i had to switch to brisk walking though as the extra weight just became uncomfortable. of course, i was an avid runner before i even became pregnant so it wasn't as if i was starting a new fitness program.

you will need to talk to your ob/gyn though. every pregnancy is individual and different. at the end of it all, you need to do what is best for your baby.
  • mcdermotter
    mcdermotter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not trying to win the thing. My goal is 34:36 for the first one (same as last year - way slower than PR) and for the second my goal is 40.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My sister ran a 10k without any problem when she was about 30-weeks pregnant. She didn't wear anything special except for good quality maternity running pants. I think runner's world has a maternity line.

I think it's fantastic you're staying active. My biggest regret from my first pregnancy was that I stopped working out in my second trimester (even though my doctor had encouraged me to continue exercising) b/c a few dopes who were regulars in the classes I took kept asking me, "at what point do you think you're hurting your unborn baby?" Ug. They made me so uncomfortable I stopped going and then I was totally out-of-shape and had a really really hard labor and delivery. With my second pregnancy, I exercised more and had a much easier L&D.

At a certain point with my second pregnancy, running just felt really uncomfortable. This may or may not happen with you, but if it does, I say there is no shame in walking!

Talk to your doctor about it at your next appointment. He or she might have some good tips.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think that is something to monitor and ask your doctor about. I have heard of women continuing running all throughout their pregnancy so long as it is something they were conditioned to it prior.

This. The key being conditioned to it prior. I would definitely be consulting the doctor.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I want to run 5Ks at 21 and 27 weeks pregnant. I've run before but only last spring/summer/fall. I stayed in shape over the winter and have started back up running now. I am 10 weeks pregnant now and want to run a 5K the beginning of June (21 weeks) and another the end of July (27 weeks). Any advice on how to make this happen? This is my 3rd and I'm already showing some, will I need a support belt? Oh and I am 4'9" starting this pregnancy at ~114 (just barely "normal"). I am 119 now and figure I'll be around 125 for the first and maybe 130 for the second.

It isn't running whilst pregnant that is the problem, the problem lies in that your balance is totally different when pregnant, be really, really careful and see your doctor first to ask about this, because this isn't just you now as you know.

Why do you specifically want to run when you will be heavily pregnant anyway, why can't it wait until after you have had the baby?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm weightlifting in my third trimester and I feel just fine. I was too exhausted to exercise through a lot of the first/second trimester, but my fitness is almost back to normal now. Balance is really my only problem, I'm just careful to fall on my butt when I do overbalance LOL. Talk to your doc, but honestly ... my first OB gave me dreadful advice regarding exercise. =\
  • AmandaW01
    AmandaW01 Posts: 138
    Options
    I'm weightlifting in my third trimester and I feel just fine. I was too exhausted to exercise through a lot of the first/second trimester, but my fitness is almost back to normal now. Balance is really my only problem, I'm just careful to fall on my butt when I do overbalance LOL. Talk to your doc, but honestly ... my first OB gave me dreadful advice regarding exercise. =\

This can be the problem - my first doctor told me to make sure I didn't exert myself, to not do anything that made me out of breath, and to know that if I stretched I could tear my ligaments - now I was not a 'high risk' pg, I was 23, fit and healthy. By the end I wasn't, had a 3 day labour and ended up with an assisted birth! When I fell pg shortly afterwards for the second time I saw a different doctor - I expressed my concern (I had a 6 month old who needed lifting etc) and she looked at me like I was mad - of course I could do whatever I felt I could do, and should do it to keep fit! During that pg I was walking miles pushing a pram, lugging a growing baby/toddler about, I took up some pg exercise and had a 17 hour labour with a 10 min second stage, no tears, no nothing, back on my feet straight away. I didn't run, but then I'd never run (do now) - but do get it checked with your doc, but then listen to your body - women have kept going as normal during pg until the last few decades - we are strong cookies and the body is designed to protect the baby without you worrying, just listen to it
  • Ke11o
    Ke11o Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work on an OB/GYN unit of a hospital and I hear moms to be ask about this all the time. Ever doctor I have ever heard gives them same answer, " If it is something that you already do, then it is fine, but you don't want to start running if you haven't before; begin with brisk walking and slowly move to a jog." or at least they say something like that.
  • HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options

It isn't running whilst pregnant that is the problem, the problem lies in that your balance is totally different when pregnant, be really, really careful and see your doctor first to ask about this, because this isn't just you now as you know.

Why do you specifically want to run when you will be heavily pregnant anyway, why can't it wait until after you have had the baby?

I don't want to pick on you specifically here, but this kind of struck a nerve with me. There is no reason why she can't run if she wants to. The last thing pregnant women need is MORE people on the internet telling them to think about the baby; when you are pregnant and ask a question on the internet, random people guilt-tripping you about every choice you make can be LITERALLY ALL YOU GET. It can make you absolutely bat**** crazy and can feel seriously dehumanizing when nearly everything you do as a "normal" person is suddenly called into question as "Why would you take the chance?" (Re: balance - I don't know about OP, but I have fallen down while running exactly once (in 7 years of running); I have fallen down while walking around my house approximately 87123132 times, because I am a klutz. Should pregnant women also not walk around the house? I am sure you mean well, but this is the sort of answer I'm talking about that can make you crazy when you're pregnant.)

Also, I think I can answer about the running - for one thing, she'll have an easier labor/delivery if she stays active, and for me at least, running provides endorphins that no other exercise does. I had to stop running at 4 months or so due to bleeding complications (that were NOT caused by running, but which me continuing to run would have exacerbated), and even though I walked and did prenatal yoga and spent a good number of hours on the elliptical, I had kind of a miserable, stressful pregnancy, in part because I wasn't getting any running endorphins to counter the (for me) crazy-making pregnancy hormones. My son is fine, luckily, but there are studies that show a stressed-out mother makes for a less-healthy child; both he and I would have been a lot better off if I'd been able to run longer.

OP, please ignore if this is not what you're thinking at all, but I know this would have made me crazy(er) if I'd asked the question when I was knocked up. :)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

I don't want to pick on you specifically here, but this kind of struck a nerve with me. There is no reason why she can't run if she wants to. The last thing pregnant women need is MORE people on the internet telling them to think about the baby; when you are pregnant and ask a question on the internet, random people guilt-tripping you about every choice you make can be LITERALLY ALL YOU GET. It can make you absolutely bat**** crazy and can feel seriously dehumanizing when nearly everything you do as a "normal" person is suddenly called into question as "Why would you take the chance?" (Re: balance - I don't know about OP, but I have fallen down while running exactly once (in 7 years of running); I have fallen down while walking around my house approximately 87123132 times, because I am a klutz. Should pregnant women also not walk around the house? I am sure you mean well, but this is the sort of answer I'm talking about that can make you crazy when you're pregnant.)

Also, I think I can answer about the running - for one thing, she'll have an easier labor/delivery if she stays active, and for me at least, running provides endorphins that no other exercise does. I had to stop running at 4 months or so due to bleeding complications (that were NOT caused by running, but which me continuing to run would have exacerbated), and even though I walked and did prenatal yoga and spent a good number of hours on the elliptical, I had kind of a miserable, stressful pregnancy, in part because I wasn't getting any running endorphins to counter the (for me) crazy-making pregnancy hormones. My son is fine, luckily, but there are studies that show a stressed-out mother makes for a less-healthy child; both he and I would have been a lot better off if I'd been able to run longer.

OP, please ignore if this is not what you're thinking at all, but I know this would have made me crazy(er) if I'd asked the question when I was knocked up. :)

Why did my posting strike a nerve, i didn't bloody say anything controversial LOL!!!

I merely said for her to get the advice of her doctor and to watch out because her balance will be affected when running whilst pregnant, that's all, I did not say DON'T RUN lol.

Sheesh!!!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I work on an OB/GYN unit of a hospital and I hear moms to be ask about this all the time. Ever doctor I have ever heard gives them same answer, " If it is something that you already do, then it is fine, but you don't want to start running if you haven't before; begin with brisk walking and slowly move to a jog." or at least they say something like that.

This is what my doctor told me. The thing she warned me about most was balance and since I run outdoors she said not to run on the sidewalk - but more on trails or even surfaces. The driveway 'bumps' were likely to cause injuries.

I gave up running while pregnant though because morning sickness was so bad and I got "out of practice". Good luck to you!

If you do run in races, be prepared to have a doctor's clearance when picking up your race packets.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

If you do run in races, be prepared to have a doctor's clearance when picking up your race packets.

Yeah, that occurred to me- the race organizers will likely be concerned and they may even have rules addressing pregnant runners.

I bicycled through my entire pregnancy- an hour a day, outdoors, right up till the night before DS was born. I was 31 and didn't tell my doctor I was riding quite that long! He and I were fine and I never noticed any balance problems with the giant baby bump. I agree with the others that it's something to discuss with your doctor, but I wouldn't rule it out as long as you're otherwise healthy and don't push yourself too hard. I have an Aunt who went trekking in the Himalayas at 5 months and head a healthy baby.
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Go for it. If you've been running up to this point, there's no reason you need to stop. Just listen to your body - it'll tell you if it can't handle it or if you need to slow down. I did a half marathon at 25 weeks pregnant (I crossed the finish line walking backwards because I wanted to cross it before my baby did). Have fun!!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You need to speak to your doctor rather than follow the advice here. I'm not saying that anyone here is wrong or anything, but you really need guidance from a medical professional experienced in treating pregnant women. I know that many women maintain their fitness levels throughout pregnancy, but you may need to make modifications and/or monitor your heart rate carefully.

If you are going to run a 5K, make sure you know the route and check for dangers before you go (uneven sidewalks, potholes, etc.) - it won't be as easy to maneuver around them when you're pregnant.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

I understand what you're saying, but the other poster has a good point. I am extremely ungraceful, even when not pregnant, but a fall when pregnant is really awful in some cases. Your balance is totally different. Personally, I very badly sprained my ankle at 38 weeks pregnant with my son. It was a horrible fall, and there wasn't anything I could do to stop myself. It sucked being hurt - crutches at 38 weeks were horrible. I delivered a week later, and my ankle was still not healed during the first couple of weeks caring for a newborn.

I'm not saying she can't do it, but I'm saying she just needs to be more cautious than when she isn't pregnant.
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Why did my posting strike a nerve, i didn't bloody say anything controversial LOL!!!

I merely said for her to get the advice of her doctor and to watch out because her balance will be affected when running whilst pregnant, that's all, I did not say DON'T RUN lol.

Sheesh!!!

I think it struck a nerve because of this sentence: "why can't it wait until after you have had the baby?"
    People (sometime unintentionally) put a lot of guilt on pregnant women for not doing what is best for the baby (and what is "best" is often conflicting depending on who you are talking to).

Think of it this way... you are about a thousand time more likely to harm your unborn baby in a car accident than you are going for a run that you're already conditioned for. And yet nobody shames a mother-to-be every time she steps into a car. Nobody tells the mom-to-be, "maybe you should wait to drive until after the baby is born." Even though there is statistical evidence that maintaining your level of exercise is good for both you and your unborn baby, many people hang onto notions about pregnancy from 60-70 years ago.

Back to the OP: This group on baby center has some good advice (a few different perspectives) on maternity running clothes http://community.babycenter.com/post/a10478755/maternity_running_clothes