Vegetarian Diet????

Options
So I am in a dilemma... Recently I completed the Beachbody Ultimate Reset, a 3 week cleanse that slowly removes meat and dairy the first week, the 2nd week grains and legumes, and by the 3rd week you are on a vegan diet... Last week I went back to the meals from Week 2 and planned on adding in Week 1 meals this week which is meat and dairy back in the mix. I have always loved chicken, fish, and eggs... but the thought of eating it disgust me now. I tried a bite of chicken the other day and had to spit it out, seriously wanted to YACK!

I know it can be done... but I feel very naive and uneducated about living a healthy / fit lifestyle without meat. I already do not eat any processed foods, so everything is very clean... just not sure if there should be a balance? Any suggestions? Books I should pick up? websites?

And please only comment if you can provide valuable information, not comments about go eat meat :)

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    There are loads of yummy veggie foods, try cheesy lentil loaves instead of meat for a roast. Veggie stirfry, cauliflower coconut coffee, black lentil cheese burgers and goats cheese soufflé

Honestly eating veggie is great, you get so much more creative with food!
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    All I know is that there are a lot of non-meat sources of protein. I would make sure you are accurately tracking your food in the diary and pay attention to the protein numbers. Additionally, make sure you are taking a multi-vitamin daily.

I know that there are a lot of resources out there but when I've looked into it myself, it is so overwhelming and confusing! I would start by making a decision about what you will and won't eat since there are many types of vegetarians from including dairy, eggs, fish to completely vegan. Once you decide where you want to be on that spectrum, then go from there.

Good luck!
  • FeebRyan
    Options
    Most sources of protein are none meat. There is more protien in a handful of nuts than the average steak.

The protien thing is a bit of a red herring to be honest.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Most sources of protein are none meat. There is more protien in a handful of nuts than the average steak.

Your right, just look at the difference.:smile:

100g's of almonds have 22 g's of protein, 51g's of fat and 581 calories.
    100g's of flank steak have 21 g's of protein, 7g's of fat and 155 calories.
    100g's of tilapia have 20g's of protein, 2g's of fat and 96 calories.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree on getting enough protein. Here's a good post that lists different sources of protein (animal, vegetarian friendly, and vegan friendly).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I agree on getting enough protein. Here's a good post that lists different sources of protein (animal, vegetarian friendly, and vegan friendly).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
    Great post. Very accurate and should help everyone reach their protein goals easier.
  • FeebRyan
    Options

That's one type of nuts, there Are many. Plus lentils, beans, pulses are all high in protien.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have never had trouble getting enough protein and I don't obsess over it. I just plan meals around healthy, whole foods I love and end up with plenty of protein. There are some great cookbooks out there and if you are interested in both meat free and clean eating, you should check out Tosca Reno's The Eat-Clean Diet's Vegetarian Cookbook. Those meals are well-balanced, nutritious and yummy.
  • neanderthin
    Options

That's one type of nuts, there Are many. Plus lentils, beans, pulses are all high in protien.
    Why not just look at the link of Sara's and reference that in the future rather than confuse people on protein content.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Pick up "Vegetarianism for dummies", it covers a lot of bases.
  • Lsteedly85
    Lsteedly85 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much :)
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Watch the Forks Over Knives movie on Netflix - research Dr. Esselstyn - www.engine2diet.com or forksoverknives.com.

Also just invited you to our Plant Strong group - will ask the group to post some resources in a new thread...........