Sugar -

Options
A quick question, I am kinda new to this. I had a natural motts applesauce cup (no sugar added) this morning with a plain yogurt.That applesauce counts as 11 grams of sugar in my food diary. Isn't there a difference between natural sugar in fruit, and the white stuff? If so - does the food diary not factor that in, or is sugar sugar? In that case, I guess I can't eat to much fruit then??

Thanks!

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    most people here will tell you that unless you are diabetic, or at risk for diabetes, to ignore the sugar numbers, especially if it comes from mostly natural sugars. The sugar also counts as carbs, so keep track there, and if your carbs don't go over, your sugar is fine.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between the two on the food diary, mainly because nutritional labels don't either.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Sugar is generally just tracked as sugar, no matter where it comes from. As long as you're not diabetic and don't have a medical reason to be concerned about it, you're most likely just fine. :)
  • caseyhubenthal
    Options
    Thanks so much, that makes me a lot happier :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No difference
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    It's very hard to be within MFP's sugar goals. Natural sugars are healthier than refined white sugar, but they're still a form of sugar and you shouldn't think you have carte blanche just because the source of the sugar is fruit or honey or maple syrup.
  • MNPeggy
    MNPeggy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a friend of mine who is a nutritionist. MyFitnessPal counts all sugar regardless of the source. However, naturally occurring sugar is better for you. Fruits, and vegetables (and I believe yogurt - greek is better) - are just some examples of natural occurring sugar. I try to have only 20 or less grams or 'processed' sugar a day and two-three fruit servings daily- I just have to subtract them off on this website. You can also find a good deal of information on the internet about the good/bad of sugar. My friend also suggested eating a handful (5-6 nuts) such as almonds with your fruit - this offsets the 'sugar high' and for me at least reduces the desire for more sweet. Here's a link to a website that has helped me -- http://www.livestrong.com/article/282926-how-much-sugar-is-in-plain-yogurt/. Good luck!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No difference

^^ This
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wish someone would expand a bit more on the natural vs processed sugar a bit. I completely get that fruit is better for you than white sugar.

But the sugar component I don't quite get. There isn't a lot of difference between fructose and glucose. And there is no difference once your body rapidly converts the fructose to glucose. At least that is my admittedly limited understanding.

I try to stay low carb, because it works for me. So I try to avoid sugar. I also have a bit of a self-control problem when it comes to processed sugar (give me a box of any sweet and watch me try to just eat a few.)

I'm just trying to expand my understanding.
  • caseyhubenthal
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yep, that is how I do it and it works.
    most people here will tell you that unless you are diabetic, or at risk for diabetes, to ignore the sugar numbers, especially if it comes from mostly natural sugars. The sugar also counts as carbs, so keep track there, and if your carbs don't go over, your sugar is fine.
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Not worry too much about sugar doesn't mean, of course, that you can go eating junk.

Avoid processed sugar foods like the plague, drink natural juices without sugar and your coffee or tea without sugar.

Drink Coke Zero not regular Coke or Pepsi.
    I wish someone would expand a bit more on the natural vs processed sugar a bit. I completely get that fruit is better for you than white sugar.

But the sugar component I don't quite get. There isn't a lot of difference between fructose and glucose. And there is no difference once your body rapidly converts the fructose to glucose. At least that is my admittedly limited understanding.

I try to stay low carb, because it works for me. So I try to avoid sugar. I also have a bit of a self-control problem when it comes to processed sugar (give me a box of any sweet and watch me try to just eat a few.)

• rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I believe the idea is that even though the sugars are essentially the same, if it's a naturally occurring sugar that's being consumed as you a piece of fruit or a vegetable, then it's being accompanied by the fiber and micro-/phytonutrients also within that item (which is why drinking 100% fruit juice is still considered < eating a piece of fruit and honey/maple syrup are still looked at as added sugar.) Those aspects of the food slow digestion and rise in blood sugar, whereas an added sugar to, say, a slice of bread is just BOOM SUGAR.
  • BobbieInCA
    BobbieInCA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Eating a varied diet of healthy, natural foods is still the answer. Fruit and vegetables with naturally occurring sugars aren't a problem. (I agree that this is not true for diabetics.) I prefer whole fruit to juices, because they seem more satisfying and add needed fiber to our diets.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

Go to eatingacademy.com and read the "Sugar 101" post. It's written by an M. D. who examines nutrition issues for laypeople.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No difference

QFT
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

Go to eatingacademy.com and read the "Sugar 101" post. It's written by an M. D. who examines nutrition issues for laypeople.

Interesting. I would imagine this is somewhat controversial among the "healthy fruits and veggies" crowd.

Personally, I have never cared for fruit and see no real value in it, so it's not a big deal for me. I was just curious.