Endurance (and a dead GPS watch) really does bring speed!

Options
For most of my life, running was a form of torture. The day we had to do the 1-mile fitness test in school was always the worst day of the year for me. But about a year ago, I decided to learn to run, with the goal of running a 5k all the way through without walking. I cried the first time I made it. I did a couple more races, and improved each time -- from ~42 to ~35 minutes, and then decided to train for a half marathon -- just to say I did it, and because I figured, if endurance brings speed, a half marathon should make my 5k much faster. My goal is to run a 5k in under 30 minutes.

Fast forward to last weekend: I ran my first half marathon. Yay! But instead of taking a rest from running this week, I decided to do a 5k to see how much I've improved. As I was getting ready to leave the house today, I grabbed my GPS watch, which had been plugged in charging... only to find it was totally dead. For me, this is like running naked. I panicked. Then I decided to use it as an opportunity not to be chained to what I think my pace "should" be, and just go all out.

And you know what? I knocked 4.5 minutes off my 5k. Four point five minutes, for a 30:54. I can hardly believe it!! Now I'm wondering how much more I could have been pushing myself if I hadn't been using my watch to track (i.e., limit) my pace -- was I holding myself back? Has anyone else had this issue, where tracking your pace ends up limiting what you think can do?

Replies

• rdrage73
    rdrage73 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    congratulations. I will add that endurance does not bring speed. Rather the opposite if you only train for distance/time. Speed workouts should be incorporated. You will notice great dividends on your next 5k, half, full, ironman.
  • bjean1964
    bjean1964 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    what plan did you use to get to the point of running a 5k? I've always said I dont have a runners body,but I would love to be able to run and burn those calories so much faster! :smile:
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    what plan did you use to get to the point of running a 5k? I've always said I dont have a runners body,but I would love to be able to run and burn those calories so much faster! :smile:

I didn't follow any particular plan, I just ran as far as I could each day, then tried to go a little farther the next. A lot of people on MFP are using Couch to 5k -- you may want to check that out. I'm not so sure I have a "runner's body" either (except the tight hamstrings) but I love being able to do something I never thought I could! :)
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    5k's aren't bad, just start running and you'll get there.

It's when you start to do 10k's and up when you really should start having a plan.