Need your feedback...

Options
So I'm trying to decide whether I want to change my goal weight or not. I'm 4 pounds away from my goal of losing 35 lbs. I will then weigh 120 lbs. I'm 5'4" and very small framed ( I can put my fingers around my wrist and they overlap, which is one way to tell if you are smaller or larger framed). I just feel like I have a lot of extra flab around my thighs and butt area as well as my tummy, which truthfully may never be flat again because it's from having a baby. I do cardio daily and strength and resistance training several days a week and all my muscles are toning very well, I just think there's a bit more fat over some areas and if I lose a little more I could get all of me looking great. My arms are killer as it is! I don't want to lose much more than that, I was thinking of trying to get down to 115-118lbs. I was very tiny at 105lbs before I had my daughter and I don't want to get that small again. I don't know I just wondered what some views on this might be...

Replies

• jems11021
    jems11021 Posts: 23
    Options
    Hit the weights. If you want to look tone and not loose you have to do some sort of weight lifting. You can get the definition back after a baby I did it with my first two. I did a great deal of ab work, squats, and arm dips.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I do strength and resistance training several times a week which includes lots of lower body including squats, lunges and the ab video I do is a killer, I'm saying it still seems like there's still fat over that area to lose. For example when I flex in those areas, it feels hard, but under the squishy. just wondering if it seems excessive, it's still in the healthy range for BMI
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    I wouldn't change your goal weight yet. Get yourself to the goal weight, then work on maintaining that weight. The extra "flab" may be from lack of toning in specific muscle groups. Does your strength training encompass every area that you have an issue with or are you missing some?

The trick to loosing flab isn't to loose more weight, it is to provide proper support for the skin and fat layers.
  • smae1980
    Options
    No I've been really focusing on lower body and abs for that very reason. My thighs and butt hurt for a couple of days after I do those and I swear at the trainer on the video all through my ab workout! lol! I really think I hold fat in my thighs and butt more than anywhere else, which is not uncommon for women. I wouldn't worry if I weren't so close to my goal, but I just can't see how much difference 4lbs can make here, hence the post..
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    u need resistance training (such as p90x:wink: ). that will help get rid of the flab b/c it'll firm u up. but when u resistance train u may stay the same weight since the density of muscle is more than fat. altho a lb of fat & a lb of muscle weigh the same, muscle takes up less room. :smile:

so say u start workin out, & u currently weigh 124. the thing is u start doin resistance exercises then u may not lose any lbs BUT u'll c a difference in ur physical appearance. u'll lose inches & ur clothes will b looser & u will firm up, so u may lose the "flabiness" :tongue: .

now keep in mind this whole time u may NOT c a change on the scale at all, so i wouldn't pay attention 2 it at all. just pay attention 2 the mirror & the inches lost. :flowerforyou:
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I am almost in the exact same situation. Same height, small frame and 6 pounds away from my goal of 120. I'm also thinking of lowering that goal to 115-118. I was 118 before my baby and it seemed like a good weight for me....I would go for it if I were you.
  • smae1980
    Options
    u need resistance training (such as p90x:wink: ). that will help get rid of the flab b/c it'll firm u up. but when u resistance train u may stay the same weight since the density of muscle is more than fat. altho a lb of fat & a lb of muscle weigh the same, muscle takes up less room. :smile:

so say u start workin out, & u currently weigh 124. the thing is u start doin resistance exercises then u may not lose any lbs BUT u'll c a difference in ur physical appearance. u'll lose inches & ur clothes will b looser & u will firm up, so u may lose the "flabiness" :tongue: .

now keep in mind this whole time u may NOT c a change on the scale at all, so i wouldn't pay attention 2 it at all. just pay attention 2 the mirror & the inches lost. :flowerforyou:

I stated several times that I do a lot of resistance training already specifically targeting those areas, but I have actually considered trying P90X as I've heard a lot of good things about the program so thanks for the suggestion. Also it takes a lot longer to gain muscle to the point where you would not lose any weight in exchange for gaining muscle than most people realize. Most people lose fat quickly and gain muscle slowly, so you can lose weight and still be gaining muscle. The process is not instant. Thanks for the input