Question for the runners out there

Options
I am trying to add some running into my exercise routine. I am in fairly good shape but seem to have a mental block when it comes to running. I can run for about 10 min at 5.0 on the treadmill and hit a wall mentally. Endurance wise I could keep going but it seems I have trouble pushing through. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• leannekampfe
    leannekampfe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would get outside because I find it to be much easier to run for longer periods when I'm doing it outdoors. I have run a marathon, and still cannot stand running much past 45 minutes on a treadmill.

Secondly, I recommend a Couch to 5K program that you can use on an ipod or smartphone. It will start you running in short intervals, and gradually build up to about 30 minutes or so of continuous running. However, you could also just add a minute or two each time you run (starting from the 10 minutes you currently do). When I started jogging regularly about 12 years ago, that's what I did.

All that being said, I still have to run for about 10-15 minutes each time before I get past the "I don't feel like doing this" mindset. Sometimes it takes longer, sometimes less...but running is a fabulous calorie burner and makes me feel good, so I push past it! Good luck!
  • karenwolfsteffey
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Get outside! The dreadmill makes me want to hang myself after 10 minutes.

But other than that, start slower... and make sure you have super awesome music to listen to. Wear super cute running gear - as bright as possible so that you just know everyone is watching you... you'll then keep going with style to prevent feeling stupid by stopping.

I might be a little dehydrated from my 14km trail run this morning :bigsmile:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - get outside, have good music, and slow down.
  • smrider87
    Options
    I have run 2 10ks and a Half-Marathon and am training for my second Half. Try the Couch to 5k program. Interval training... Running for 5 min, walking for 1 min, etc. is very effective. Try going slower. I agree with getting outside to run as well.
  • rosiepopears
    rosiepopears Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go outside...treadmill and cross trainers are for rainy days only. Find a running group - many gyms have them - and stick with it. I started with a running group at a gym, was in PAIN trying to run, always the last (v. embarassing! all these young things running past me) but I stuck with it. Three times a week I went and each week got better and better at it, quickly managed to keep up, then noticed I was never at the back any more. Not the fasted either - but hey! I don't care - I'm fit. I now belong to 3 different running groups - each is good for something different that I want, and I have been running (and now I also swim) for 5 years. I've gone from being unable to run, to runing long distances, marathons, 1/2 marathons, for fun, for fitness - and I can tell you that running is the most time efficient way to burn lots and lots of calories. Plus - it tones your legs, abs (!) and even arms. But - I have also had to invest (over time) in the best type of running shoe, go to an osteopath on a regular basis (I go now for prevention not cure), and learn and know about gels, ice packs, stretches, recovery etc. All these things will keep you running, fit and fabulous.:flowerforyou:
  • wanderingpilgrim
    wanderingpilgrim Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I took up running again after a very serious foot injury, four children, and a 10 year hiatus. I googled C25K (Couch To 5 KM's) and found it was very helpful. Check it out! It's a free app, and it definitely works!!
    All the best! :happy:
    (Oh yeah- I agree with the other posters; music really helps!!)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I love running on the treadmill, it's to cold and wet outside a lot of the time. I would start slower and build up to the 5 mph mark.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    Running is hugely mental. I think its something that's never going to go away completely, its just something you're going to have to learn to work through.

I agree with try running outside and listening to Pandora comedy station is always a nice distraction for me.

Set a goal for either time or distance before you set out on each run, and don't stop until you reach the goal. It WILL get easier :smile:
  • cpudoc64
    cpudoc64 Posts: 135
    Options
    Agree with what allot of folks on here say about running outside. My mind wanders when I run on the treadmill. What I did to shake it up on the treadmill was do what i call a "30/30 for 30".....30 second walk, 30 second run for 30 minutes. It helps keep my mind from wandering. I haven't done it in a while but give it a try...just warm up first !
  • stompee
    stompee Posts: 15
    Options
    I didn't have any motivation for running until I got the zombierungame app on the phone. It is fun, and the story keeps you going. Plus, you have to occasionally speed up to run from zombies to complete the mission. Great for endurance training. I've even taught my dog that "zombies!" means to run! It is a lot of fun.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any motivation for running until I got the zombierungame app on the phone. It is fun, and the story keeps you going. Plus, you have to occasionally speed up to run from zombies to complete the mission. Great for endurance training. I've even taught my dog that "zombies!" means to run! It is a lot of fun.

If only zombierun was free!