Just Had Surgery...

Options
Well, I had abdominal surgery five days ago. Since my weigh-in immediately before surgery to this morning, the scale has jumped up twelve pounds. I presume my limited bathroom function (between pain meds and the IV bag that pumped fluid into my system for 24 hours), this will account for most of this. But any progress I had made since January 4th when I started MFP is gone. How do I start again after major surgery?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I agree - all the fluids and meds are playing havoc with your system.

When I had my knees replaced 5 weeks apart, I was housebound for about 3 months and wasn't getting much exercise at all aside from getting around my house, and I ended up losing about 35 pounds. Your body will use an incredible amount of energy just healing. Just eat sensibly, get lots of fluids, and make sure your get enough sleep. When you feel up to it, EASE back into your normal routine.

Relax and get well.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    Right now your focus should be on recovery. Eat at maintenance until your doctor clears you for exercise. Your body needs the energy and nutrients to heal itself. Try to get plenty of protein and don't focus so much on the scale.

I don't know what kind of surgery it was, but you will definitely have some swelling for a while. Plus, like you said, IV fluids and slow bowel motility will add to the number on the scale. Make sure you ask your doctor before starting back to exercising and calorie restriction. Feel better soon!
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had surgery Feb 20th... I gained alot of water/gas weight... it eventually went down. You should see a decreasement in 3 weeks at least. Hang in there. I ate 1700 (logged everything) and still lost weight. It also took 3 weeks to get bowels back in order. Hope you heal fast and well.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Don't stress, it's all water weight. I just had my appendix out on the 27th. I gained 18 pounds between the time I entered the ER on the 26th and I was discharged on the 1st. It took me a week to lose it all but I ended up three pounds lighter than when I started.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I gained 7 when I had surgery a few months ago. It came off pretty quick. I had complications after surgery and was pumped full of fluid for 4 days. It should have been a simple in and out surgery but I ended up being in the hospital for a week.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Anesthetic plays havoc on your system for a while, you can expect to retain water for some time. I had surgery last june & gained almost 15 lbs right after, eat a lot of lean protein & leafy greens & drink tons of water. It will come off :)
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had my hip replaced 9 weeks ago... I went into the hospital weighing 115 pounds. Forty-eight hours later I was 125 pounds. I had eaten nothing in those 48 hours, but they had pumped me full of 7 bags of fluid and 5 units of blood. I went home 4 days later and 2 pounds lighter, and after 2 weeks the entire 10 pounds was gone. Within a month I got to my goal weight of 113. I ate the way I had been eating prior to my surgery (1200 calories a day) and, understandably, I was less active, though I was doing Physical Therapy to the degree that I was able. I also discovered that walking with crutches burns twice the calories of walking normally!

Take heart.... this gain you're seeing is water weight and it WILL go away.
  • purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well, I had abdominal surgery five days ago. Since my weigh-in immediately before surgery to this morning, the scale has jumped up twelve pounds. I presume my limited bathroom function (between pain meds and the IV bag that pumped fluid into my system for 24 hours), this will account for most of this. But any progress I had made since January 4th when I started MFP is gone. How do I start again after major surgery?

Thanks for posting this....I hope your feeling better....I have surgery coming up in April and i'm stressing...not about the surgery but about not being able to work out and gaining weight!!! I thought I would never hear myself say that....lol but i'm so use to working out now that even on my rest days i'm going to the gym...and the fear of gaining back what I worked so hard to loose because I can't work out is driving me nuts!! lol

So I will not be getting on the scale...lol

Start out slow and easy...go back to the basics until you're ready to pick back up where you left off...you did it once and you can do it again!!!

Good Luck!!

remember lots and lots of water!!!
  • tz841
    tz841 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for your comments. I appreciate all the support. To you who have had surgery, I hope that you are healing/have healed well. It's good to know that that there is hope! To Purple, I hope your surgery goes well and that you are able to get back to a routine that will be helpful. If you have the weight gain, be mindful that it's normal. I have been told that walking is essential after surgery and I can see how that's important. I haven't been consistent in walking, but we've had snow and I've overdone it in other ways...but tomorrow is another day and I hope to attempt to get on a routine.

I also appreciate those who have been quick to tell me that rest and sleep is essential after surgery and that dieting is out of the question, although that doesn't mean I can go on eating binges either. Protein is essential I've heard.

Thanks again, everyone!
  • coralietg
    coralietg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on Thursday, I'm holding on to about 5lbs of fluid. My husband is looking after me, so can safely say I'm not calorie tracking right now. Focus on healing, rather than the scale. I usually run 12-15 miles a week, and that is out of the question right now. It's tough worrying about gaining weight from not exercising!
  • tz841
    tz841 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hope you're doing well after surgery, Coral. I'm glad you have someone help take care of you after! I think not counting calories or tracking food is a good idea - I started to do this yesterday but decided not to do it yet. Perhaps I can start next week after I am able to be up and around more and can work more on my food. I think right now I need to concentrate on getting my "elimination" system up and running again! I also just started to wean myself off of the pain meds, so I don't know how that affects my hunger and food intake.

Good luck to you! Take care of yourself!
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hey, woman who is bedbound a lot of the time here (****ing sucks) and can't work out how she wishes she could

You're holding on to a LOT of fluids right now, plus most meds make you gain. Focus on healing.
  • autumnlily31185
    autumnlily31185 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I had shoulder surgery in Jan and am still in recovery mode. When I was able to get off the couch I started light exercise and mainly focused on my legs. Now I am able to do so much more with my arms that I can get a good full body workout in, as well as some home rehab for my shoulder. I would advise you to start small and work with another body part that doesn't rely on your abdomen, like perhaps some arm work to start.

Good luck with your recovery and weight loss journey