How late can you eat before bed?

Options
I was running late, so I ended up eating at 7:30. I finished my (big) salad bowl around 8. Now it's 9:30 and I'm still supposed to have an apple and a greek yogurt to get all my calories in. Will my stomach be able to digest it in time before I go to bed in a couple hours?

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat. You could eat dinner in bed. So, go ahead and eat!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a problem with sleeping on a full stomach (as in food in it, not actually sleeping *on* it :wink: ), such as acid reflux, don't worry about it. The apple and yogurt will be digested while you sleep.
  • spikeithard
    spikeithard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    AFAIK its a myth about eating before bed and gaining weight.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    As long as you finish eating before you start sleeping you'll be fine. Eating while sleeping can put you at risk for choking.
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    Yea that will be fine. I personally don't like to eat after 830 or 9, but sometimes it happens. What you planned to eat is fine, because it's a good healthy choice (nice job!). As long as it's not junk then you're good to go. Your body will love the nutrition regardless of time. Eat up.
  • BreakinTheChains
    BreakinTheChains Posts: 381 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly ^^^^^ :)
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm able to time the last bite just as my eyes are closing, but it doesn't always work.

From a weight-loss perspective...it doesn't matter. Your body sucks at telling time (ie. why we wear watches), and it keeps working while you are asleep (ie. how we stay alive at night). So no worries.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I was running late, so I ended up eating at 7:30. I finished my (big) salad bowl around 8. Now it's 9:30 and I'm still supposed to have an apple and a greek yogurt to get all my calories in. Will my stomach be able to digest it in time before I go to bed in a couple hours?

There are a lot of factors that determine digestion. Fat or protein digests more slowly than carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates (or ones that are mixed with fat, such as whole wheat bread and butter) digest more slowly than than simple carbohydrates like some jelly beans. In general, the smaller and lighter the snack, the less likely you are to have it still digesting by bedtime. Two hours should be sufficient for most foods. A very large fatty meal could take as long as 4 to 5 hours. The younger you are, the faster and more efficient your digestion will be.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Well as long as you get up and brush your teeth afterwards
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I don't think she was asking about it for weight loss. She seemed to be just asking about digestion. Many people are uncomfortable eating before bedtime.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I eat (or have a shake) right before bedtime nearly everyday. I find that having a small meal actually helps me sleep...and certainly doesn't cause me to gain weight unless I was over my calorie goal for the day.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As long as you finish eating before you start sleeping you'll be fine. Eating while sleeping can put you at risk for choking.

^^This. And I'm eating pizza right now in bed at 10:30pm. Never affected my weight or my digestion or my sleep! But everyone is different.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

^^This. And I'm eating pizza right now in bed at 10:30pm. Never affected my weight or my digestion or my sleep! But everyone is different.

:flowerforyou:
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I chew myself to sleep.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

I don't think she was asking about it for weight loss. She seemed to be just asking about digestion. Many people are uncomfortable eating before bedtime.

Likely so, that is why neither myself nor the one who replied to my post mentioned weight loss. You are the one adding to her question by adding " many people are uncomfortable eating before bedtime" she didn't mention comfort, she only wanted to know if it was ok to eat. And from a physiological standpoint it it.
  • Ginnie_Fizz
    Options

There are a lot of factors that determine digestion. Fat or protein digests more slowly than carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates (or ones that are mixed with fat, such as whole wheat bread and butter) digest more slowly than than simple carbohydrates like some jelly beans. In general, the smaller and lighter the snack, the less likely you are to have it still digesting by bedtime. Two hours should be sufficient for most foods. A very large fatty meal could take as long as 4 to 5 hours. The younger you are, the faster and more efficient your digestion will be.

That is so true. The older I get the longer I have to leave between eating and going to bed. Lol!
  • JewelSmith
    JewelSmith Posts: 155 Member
    Options

This was a great post and I loved this reply.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm able to time the last bite just as my eyes are closing, but it doesn't always work.

From a weight-loss perspective...it doesn't matter. Your body sucks at telling time (ie. why we wear watches), and it keeps working while you are asleep (ie. how we stay alive at night). So no worries.

i just love your way of thinking