thanks to medication the pounds keep going up :(

Options
Hi all! I started using the myfitnesspal app about a year ago, on and off diet tracking. Ive never posted or really come to the website until now. I need a little support.

My grandmother (who raised me) passed away in July of last year and I started taking a low dose of Zoloft (only 50mg) to take the edge of being mopey (I'm normally a pretty tough cookie when it comes to the hard knocks of life).

I started gaining weight and talked to my dr who insisted it was my bc shot so I switched off that and kept my zoloft because I went right back to feeling myself on it. My last appointment with the dr everything was peachy but I did put on another couple pounds. Ok,i said to myself I guess Id rather be a little fluffy and happy then skinny and sad, sure. But then all of a sudden NONE of my clothes fit. I figured maybe its because I have a 9-5 sit on my rear end office job and when I get home I sit and do homework with my son and Im not very active.

I have been counting my calories very carefully for about two months and am still gaining.
I went again this week to my dr for a follow up and have gained 7 lbs since December. I have decided to stop the Zoloft, I can deal with the mood swings and feel Ive had enough time to recover from my loss. I cannot live with getting fat and being unhealthy. Has anyone else had such weight gain due to medication? I have gained 13lbs total since July of last year (that may not seem like a lot to some people but I am only 5 ft tall!). Any stories about success after stopping the medication or positive feedback are much appriciated!

Replies

• jujuki47
    jujuki47 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Try Cymbalta...
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if you are on medication because of a death in the family, i'd suggest perhaps trying to work out the pain of your loss without medication. death happens to everyone and you need to work through it.

whoops, just read the last sentence and it appears you are doing that. since that is the case, i'd just keep counting calories and try to get 30 minutes of exercise a day and as long as you stick with that you should start losing weight.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes. In college I took Zoloft and then Effexor and Abilify- there may have been a few others in there too. Anyway, I was generally an unhappy person then and over the four or so years I took that kind of medication and on again off again birth control I gained about 50 lbs. I was overweight to start with and I certainly don't blame my weight gain on the medication entirely, but I don't think it helped me either- and for me it didn't help with the things it was supposed to. Basically it turns out I was just really immature and unhappy and made some changes in my life and became a responsible adult and I haven't looked back- but those kinds of medications do seem to have an effect on weight. I have a friend that thinks Zoloft aught to be a weight loss drug b/c it jacks up her stomach for two weeks when she starts it and doesn't feel like eating much (not a healthy plan in my mind- but to each their own). So for me it was definitely a contributing factor- but it wasn't the ONLY factor.

And I'd suggest talking to your doctor before stopping medication- I'd pretty much tell him or her what you said in your original post. There's a difference between situational grief and depression and clinical depression- and sometimes medication can be temporary for either- and for some people it's like insulin and they'll always need it- and that's okay too. Just a matter of bio-chemistry and the solution that works for you. But antidepressants should not just be stopped- that can cause some side effects that are way worse than tapering off and having few extra pounds a little while longer.

That's my two cents at any rate.
  • melibean83
    Options
    Im fine now, I just needed to take the edge off when it first happened. I was the rock for several other people and I think that was what took the tole on me. Seeing everyone else so broken down and not able to function. I get over things fairly quickly but it was affecting my productiveness at work for a while. I dont need the Zoloft any longer which is why I decided to stop taking it. I was good to go by November but the dr I guess thought I should keep on it for a while? Now the only thing that makes me depressed is getting fat, lol. So do you have any idea how long it will take for the weight to start coming off? I have been eating 1250 calories a day and trying to be more active even though I dont have much time to excercise. Thanks for the replies!
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Make sure to talk to the doctor about getting off the medication. Some can make you sick if you come off too quickly. There are some medications that can help and not add weight. If you need something one if those might be helpful. Hope you get to feeling better and staying healthy.
  • staceyw73
    staceyw73 Posts: 49
    Options
    your not alone about your meds, back in feb the doctor gave me mirtazapine to help me sleep and with my mood swings I was have after the wreck I was in back on sept 1. after 2 hospital stays and 2 rehabs stays my sleep was crap (only couple hours at a time) and causeing me to be very moody. she did warn me one of the side afects was weight gain and to let her know if I start to put on. I have not put any on be staying between 230-235 sence I started to take it. I cant seam to get the weight off thou so I am debating about taking my self off them because my craving for sweets has incressed. would also love to hear any suggestions that other people have to help get the scales moving again. I am sleeping again and my moods have gotten better.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Im fine now, I just needed to take the edge off when it first happened. I was the rock for several other people and I think that was what took the tole on me. Seeing everyone else so broken down and not able to function. I get over things fairly quickly but it was affecting my productiveness at work for a while. I dont need the Zoloft any longer which is why I decided to stop taking it. I was good to go by November but the dr I guess thought I should keep on it for a while? Now the only thing that makes me depressed is getting fat, lol. So do you have any idea how long it will take for the weight to start coming off? I have been eating 1250 calories a day and trying to be more active even though I dont have much time to excercise. Thanks for the replies!

buy a food scale and weigh your food, don't eat anything that you don't prepare yourself, and make sure everything is entered into your diary. you could be underestimating how much you are actually consuming (which is why a food scale can help). everything should be measured.

if you do all of that and you are active then the weight should start coming off soon.
  • DoctorKatey
    Options
    First off, I am so sorry for your loss. :(

I was on oral contraceptives for years, and I gained about 40 pounds (!) during the course of 2.5 years. Yikes! That was back in 2006, and it wasn't until this past December, when I finally went off the pills, that my doctor discovered that I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Had the doctors actually uncovered the source of my erratic periods and acne problems, they never would have put me on those pills to begin with. Now I have been tackling the problem with the Dukan diet and a lot of Zumba.

Good luck to you! It's a tough situation, but you're motivated.
  • melibean83
    Options
    Thanks, weighing the food sounds like a good idea. I try to over estimate the amount of food when I log it on the MFP app. I have been buying mostly fruits, eating a lot of raw tuna and red meat. Staying away from anything fried which is hard because I love my fried food. But I know I have to stay strong on eating whats right and not whats on my mind at the moment , like a nice cheeseburger. :)
  • melibean83
    Options
    Hi Lilred, thanks for the reply. I have been off for 2 days and I am feeling tired and lazy but thats it so far. I have read far worse things happening. I dont want to start taking anything else as it was just used for the occasional mope after what happened. I am generally a very busy and happy person. Busy as far as work,my sons never ending homework, his soccer and the normal household mom stuff but not exercise. I need to MAKE more time to exercise because I know that will help.
  • inky409
    inky409 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Melibean. First, I'm very sorry for your loss. {{hugs}}. Second, I can relate to the "medication weight gain" problem. I have numerous medical conditions including MS; diabetes; fibromyalgia; etc. I was originally put on Lyrica due to my pain and, in two weeks, I gained over 9 lbs. I was then put on Cymbalta (which I highly recommend that you stay away from) three times daily. I went from 179 to 217. I will admit that I am not able to exercise like I did prior due to my disability but the water retention and weight gain definately came from the meds. Trying to tell a dr that you believe it's related to the meds is very hard - they usually blame it on something else and say that you've couldn't have gained more than 2-4 pounds from the meds. I know - been there, done that. I finally demanded to be taken off of Cymbalta - it took over 6 months to be "weaned" off it and now I'm on a low dose of Zoloft. I joined WW but due to financial issues with my husband's job, I had to quit but I lost several pounds. MFP was recently recommended to me by a registered nurse and I'm loving it. I've lost 3 lbs so far - I loose very slowly but as long as I'm loosing, I'll take it. I would love to be your MFP buddy!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    My advice is to talk to a naturopathic doctor or other alternative holistic health care practitioner and see if they can recommend something you can do or take to help with your mood swings that won't make you gain weight.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was taking noratripaline (sp) and gained 10-12lbs from hardly changing my diet at all. The pills did make me crave sweets and I actually rarely eat sweets so that was a nasty side effect. So I would want something sweet so that may have contributed. It's also a documented side effect of the medication. I quit taking it and after a week the cravings went away. The weight is stubborn though but I found out I have to stick to 1200-1400 a day to lose. How many are eating a day?
  • melibean83
    Options
    I have lost a whole pound, happy yet annoyed at myself for not making better food choices even though Im sticking to my 1250 calories per day as much as I can. Bah humbug. I do have my entire office on a weight loss contest now so Im hoping we will all motivate each other!
  • SailerSiren13
    SailerSiren13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have medication that has been messing me up too but i have also been emotionally eating so i am getting back on here and getting serious. feel free to add me for support!
  • melibean83
    Options
    They should really stress the side effect of weight gain before prescribing things, IMO. We can lose it Im sure, just need to stick to it. I have added you as a friend!! !