cold, sleeting here in Va, how not to overeat

Options
I wonder how ya cope, cant go out in sleet. Dont want to overeat, may try soup or beans, that seems filling, any other ideas, guess I need an inside hobby you think?

Replies

• sarski77
    sarski77 Posts: 79
    Options
    A nice meat and veg stew would be good!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It rains almost every day in vancouver. Suck it up! Haha.

Gym. Pool. Walk around mall. Home dvd workouts. Or just buy some rain gear. :smile:
  • ChristinaD2
    Options
    I know exactly how I you feel, as I'm in a similar situation today in Indiana... We're expecting about a foot of snow later this afternoon :ohwell: When I'm cold & stuck in the house, I am always tempted to eat more. I have found that if I drink hot tea throughout the day, I stay warm & most importantly - full. I'm also going to plan on having higher protein snacks today that will keep me feeling full longer and will do some workouts inside. Have a good day!
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I can deal with rain as long as its only 9months of the year, not 12months which it was last year. It does actually lift your mood to get out in it as long as its not lashing gales & you have some good clothing. COLD is much harder - I always end up upping the cals somewhat when its below freezing outside. I don't know why when the central heating is up to max, it shouldnt make too much diff, but it does! Then I have to make up for the extra cals if poss with exercise, home DVD's, my treadmill, whatever I can do, but need those extra cals! Sometimes I give up and wait for the thermometer to unfreeze & start again. :wink:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Keep focused on your goals. Cold, rainy, snowy, sleety weather is a reality (I live in NH) but shouldn't be used as an excuse to overeat or not exercise. You might check out Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home DVD series: http://www.walkathome.com/ Many people use the her DVD's regularly.

Also, you might explore buying a treadmill/elliptical/weight set for home use when the weather is poor. Now is a great time to pick up gentry used exercise equipment because, sadly, many people who got them as part of their New Years Resolution have now given up.

It took me a year to lose 45 pounds and get to my goal weight (I'm 50 years old). Two of my favorite quotes (from other MFPers) really helped during the rough spots: "You can have excuses or results, but not both" and "It's easy to say you're too tired, too stressed, too busy, too this or too that. TOO BAD! The only way you'll strip away the fat is to start by stripping away all the excuses!"

Best Wishes!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Everything isn't a reason to eat. You posted before about being upset with a friend so you wanted to eat. Now the weather is bad so you want to eat. It would be really helpful to find out why you associate everything with the need to eat something. It's not learning to cope with wanting to over eat but finding out why you feel the need to do it at the drop of a hat. You seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with food.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yep, anything uncomfortable and I want to eat. I think a lot of us are like that or we would not be overweight. Got some good ideas, working out at home, drinking tea, thanks to the ones that are sensitive to me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    yep, anything uncomfortable and I want to eat. I think a lot of us are like that or we would not be overweight. Got some good ideas, working out at home, drinking tea, thanks to the ones that are sensitive to me.

I'm not being mean or insensitive. It is seriously a problem when you try to solve everything with food. All these ideas are great as distractions but it doesn't address the problem and unless you do address it you'll spend you whole life either fighting the demon or giving it to it and feeling bad because you did. There's an underlying mental issue that causes that kind of thinking and if you really want to be able to cope then you need to get some help and address the issue instead of just saying that's the way I am. If you had a drug addiction or were an alcoholic you'd seek help. Just because food isn't illegal doesn't make it less of a problem.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Personally I like to read. When the weather is bad I curl up under a blanket with a cup of hot tea and a book. These days its my college text books but its still reading. I"m in PA and we're expecting some of that nasty sleet to hit us tomorrow. I'll be cleaning and in between I'll be reading my books.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I'm not being mean or insensitive. It is seriously a problem when you try to solve everything with food. All these ideas are great as distractions but it doesn't address the problem and unless you do address it you'll spend you whole life either fighting the demon or giving it to it and feeling bad because you did. There's an underlying mental issue that causes that kind of thinking and if you really want to be able to cope then you need to get some help and address the issue instead of just saying that's the way I am. If you had a drug addiction or were an alcoholic you'd seek help. Just because food isn't illegal doesn't make it less of a problem.
    This is a valid point.

Not every problem revolves around food... nor is it answered by food, unless you make it that way. Didn't you start a thread a while back shaming the community for talking about how we've had success dealing with yummy food and losing weight?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good day to catch up on some sleep.
  • ninjakowski
    ninjakowski Posts: 158
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm from (relatively) sunny Australia, and currently living in the cold, windy, rainy Netherlands and it gets to me badly sometimes. All I want to do is stuff myself with warm, tasty comfort foods.

Good thing to eat - vegetable soup. I made a pumpkin one last week which was less than 100 calories for a big bowl including a big spoon of greek yoghurt on top, so yummy. Also drinking hot tea.

And find some workout videos you enjoy, whether its something like Jillian Michaels, dance type workouts or even yoga. Keeping busy also helps stop the mindless eating.

Good luck :) I'm hanging out for some spring weather!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Do you usually exercise outdoors or are you just concerned with getting sucked into that "lazy cold sucky day mentality" that causes us to eat with reckless abandon? I would light a fire if you have a fireplace and read a good book. If you don't have a fireplace, get under a warm blanket and read a book. Soup sounds like a good plan. Or clean. I live in PA and once a couple of years ago we lost power during a HUGE snow storm, but it was during the day, so we had plenty of light coming in through the windows, we spent the entire day cleaning the house (everything we could do without electricity)...probably the cleanest our house has been in years. Even though it's cold, it's time to start spring cleaning anyway, isn't it?
  • Switzer12
    Switzer12 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey, we are in Virginia and due to get the same staring in a few hours. Then the snow starts. I am putting pork chops in the slow cooker and having a baked potatoe half for later. My problem is the dish of brownies I made yesterday - they seem to be calling me. Yikes! Hope neither of us get much bad Weather. After all it is Spring!!
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    OK....I hope no one makes fun of me....I live in Ohio which is cold and cloudy a LOT of the time and winter seems to drag on forever! So some days when I get sick of it and just want to lay on the couch covered over by a warm blanket and I know I need to do some work I turn on ALL the lights and turn up the heat (it's only for a day after all) and it begins to feel like summer because everything is bright and warm again. LOL
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, Canada and we get more than just a bit of sleet. For about six months of the year (at least) we have snow... like, several feet of it and regularily -30 degree celcius weather. I just got used to exercising in my house. There are lots of good fitness programs you can do from home, if you're looking at a fitness perspective. As far as a nutrition perspective, a light stew with beans and vegetables will keep you warm and pack in nutrients. Find a crafting hobby to keep your hands busy (knitting, stained glass, etc.) so you don't start baking (which is a comfort thing for me in the winter). Hopefully that helps?
  • latprin
    latprin Posts: 16
    Options
    Maybe listening to some music or reading a book will help. I'm in NY and although the sun is out, it's not exactly warm. I do however, realize that it could be worse.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    OK....I hope no one makes fun of me....I live in Ohio which is cold and cloudy a LOT of the time and winter seems to drag on forever! So some days when I get sick of it and just want to lay on the couch covered over by a warm blanket and I know I need to do some work I turn on ALL the lights and turn up the heat (it's only for a day after all) and it begins to feel like summer because everything is bright and warm again. LOL

Actually thats an awesome idea. I bet that would help get you out of the winter funk. I hate dark gloomy weather. I always feel my best in the spring and summer when I can get out and walk around. Get some sun shinning on me! And no, sitting in the window doesn't count lol
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Its very hard sometimes not to use any excuse to eat. Some things to distract and refocus:

- make a list of goals/things that motivate you and keep it handy. Refer to it for inspiration.
    - exercise until the desire to eat passes: 10 squats, 10 sit ups, 10 push ups, 10 jumping jacks
    - if you need to munch: popcorn. Eat it slow, one piece at a time and drink lots of water, follow up with fruit if you need something sweet.

Good luck, be strong!