Anyone cook Country style meals? Friends?

Options
Hello Everyone!

I love to cook healthy country type comfort food dinners using scratch ingredients for myself and family. I believe in a wide variety of foods throughout the week. Does anyone else?

Please add me!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DaisyMae84
    Options
    I live in the south so I am trying to find new, healthy ways to make all of my favorite foods. I would love to see what others are doing to make their country/comfort meals healthier.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am southern and I certainly can cook a country meal. But for me, my meals tend to be anything but health friendly or weight conscience.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! I cook from scratch. I'm eating chicken stew with lots of veggies in it, and dumplings. I don't make it completely nonfat, but I skim off most of the fat when I make the chicken stock, from the bones of a roast chicken.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I may make them but I don't necessarily EAT them. My DH is 6'4" with a big bone structure (think stereotypical old style Viking) and can have DOUBLE or more the amount of calories that I have per day. I'm extremely carb sensitive. He isn't. He does a lot of farm work. I do some but NOT the heavy lifting he does. I get the steak and salad. He gets the steak, salad, potatoes, gravy, bread and butter. It's fair. I'm fine with this. I'm 5'4" with a small bone structure. I just don't need that many calories since I'm not doing Tae Kwon Do 2 hours a day any more.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I may make them but I don't necessarily EAT them. My DH is 6'4" with a big bone structure (think stereotypical old style Viking) and can have DOUBLE or more the amount of calories that I have per day. I'm extremely carb sensitive. He isn't. He does a lot of farm work. I do some but NOT the heavy lifting he does. I get the steak and salad. He gets the steak, salad, potatoes, gravy, bread and butter. It's fair. I'm fine with this. I'm 5'4" with a small bone structure. I just don't need that many calories since I'm not doing Tae Kwon Do 2 hours a day any more.

I do meals this way too. I get small servings of carbs. Hubby gets all the carbs he wants, and a bigger steak. He burns more calories strolling on the elliptical trainer than I do doing high intensity interval training.
  • mrsappleblossom77
    mrsappleblossom77 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a farm so I was used to eating heavy, from scratch meals and casseroles. That's what I learned to cook as I grew up. Now I still make them, but I try to make them a little healthier. I use organic ingredients when possible and I lower my portion size. That way I still get the comfort and stay within my calorie goal.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    well, i am having a piece of cornbread w breakfast :)

we've gone through our veggies from last years garden so our meals don't look quite as kuntry. Garden will be planted in a week or so. This summer it will be all about field peas, green beans, corn on the cob, okra, limas and tomatoes. I can't wait for tomatoes! IMO there is nothing quite as good as the first pick of okra stewed in homegrown tomatoes.

We eat greens year round: collards (my fav), turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach. We have a lot of spinach lately. I use to always make greens the traditional southern way: start w bacon grease of course. I now make them w olive oil and don't miss the bacon grease..the onions, garlic, etc give it so much flavor i have never had any1 guess it starts w olive oil. We also do oven-fried green tomatoes instead of fried: (dip slices in buttermilk that has a couple shots of hot sauce in it and coat in a cornmeal and panko combo. these turn out incredible). I'm southern so i love fried green tomatoes. I really like the baked kind but it's kind of messy so i will often just cut green tomato slices and season w s&p, olive oil and balsamic vinegar and roast them. i love them this way too.

I have been striving to eat 100 grams of carbs so we're not making things like biscuits, pancakes, waffles, or cornbread. (the piece i'm eating today was given to me by my mom.) When the crops are up, we cook them from scratch. In the off season if we don't have enough, we are big fans of frozen veggies. We will buy canned veggies too tho--we like margaret homes stuff. We don't grow pintos, black beans, or navy beans and will buy them dried and make big batches in the crockpot.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a book called "From Mama's Table to Mine" by Paula Deen's son, Bobby Deen. He takes his mom's favourite comfort food recipes, swaps a few ingredients out for healthier ones, and the same comfort food dishes are, in his book, 350 calories or less :)

Some of the 120 recipes in the cookbook include: Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes, Bittersweet Chocolate Cheesecake, and Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    You ladies are an inspiration!
  • HopeFaithLove1971
    Options
    This is amazing! I can't wait to follow all ya all!

I grew up with southern cooking, fatback went into everything. Back then I was a skinny little rail and could eat like no tomorrow!

Now my tweaking recipes with healthier alternatives I like getting back to the comfort food instead of the processed "mess" that's availble now. I feel like I'm putting my heart and soul in each dish that I prepare for my family.

8cd0f476bd30ed02d0b5b0cf8fe62dcc.jpg