1 cup serving size on a casserole?? Help!!

Options
1stday13
1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
I just made a casserole from SkinnyTaste. The serving says 1 cup? No weight given. So how do I get an accurate serving size? I tried putting in a measuring cup, then weighed it. It varied from 3.5 oz to 5 oz. Its like the adage of dry weight vs liquid weight. So which is a casserole? Help! I am trying to measure it into portions to freeze right now. The recipe did say serves 9. but my size pieces vary ( not very good a cutting even pieces :embarassed: ) So I need to know oz vs cups? Your opinions Please :cry:

Replies

• TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Put all of the servings together on the scale to find the total weight of the casserole. Divide this by 9 and make your servings this size. In future, weigh the empty dish before you fill it so you have the tare value.

It's not possible to go from cups to ounces, because one is volume and the other is weight.
  • 1stday13
    Options
    Put all of the servings together on the scale to find the total weight of the casserole. Divide this by 9 and make your servings this size. In future, weigh the empty dish before you fill it so you have the tare value.

It's not possible to go from cups to ounces, because one is volume and the other is weight.
    Great Idea !:flowerforyou: Unfortunately, I already ate some out of it this time. But for sure will do it that way from now on. :drinker: I know I can't do volume/weight exchange. Thats why I was so confused & frustrated :noway: . Buy the way if anyone is interested it is the cheeseburger casserole & it is fantastic!!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Determine the calories for each ingredient. If you're adding liquids you can reasonably assume that they have a density close to water. This means that you can convert its liquid measure to grams (250ml = 250grams, you can do the imperial conversion).

Thusly, you can weigh the final serving and get a somewhat accurate calorie count.
  • 1stday13
    Options
    Thank you!! both great ideas :flowerforyou:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I would just make a recipe of it and if you have 9 servings put that in and MFP will do all the math for you plus you have it saved for next time. I wouldn't trust the calories in the recipe you followed because they may have used something with a different calorie count than what you used.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would just make a recipe of it and if you have 9 servings put that in and MFP will do all the math for you plus you have it saved for next time. I wouldn't trust the calories in the recipe you followed because they may have used something with a different calorie count than what you used.

This is pretty much what I do. You can always go change it later if you buy a different brand or add/subtract an ingredient. It's handy:smile:
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    ^^Agreed with above. I love the recipe feature in MFP and because I have to make lots of changes it does the hard work for me. The only differne is I cut my casseroles into 12 servings. Good luck
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Cups are the devil's measure.
    I try to use recipes that use weight for accuracy, consistency, and easier measurement.