I'm losing weight way too fast and it is scaring me- HELP!?

Options
I'm 19, 5'2, and as of last Sunday was 135lbs. I exercise daily, mostly strength training but when weather and my health allows, I go for a walk. I try to keep to a little over 1300 calories a day as that is my BMR. I want to do this right so I can hold onto my results.

Now, here's the thing. I weigh myself every morning first thing. I know, I know, daily weighing will only drive me insane, but they're downright frightening me. I've literally been dropping a pound a day. I KNOW I don't work out that much, I've done the math a hundred times. And it is staying off. It's consistent, and not just my scale- I had a doctor appointment yesterday and hers said the same. I know I should not have lost 7lbs in a week, especially when I didn't have that much to lose (I just wanted to get back to 120, which is where I am healthiest).

So... help? What on earth is going on?

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Many people lose a lot of weight in their first week due to a drop in water weight and increase in exercise. It should level off soon. If you're concerned, eat more.

If you open your diary and tell us how much you exercise we may be able to give you more specific guidance.
  • sava624
    sava624 Posts: 19
    Options
    dont-panic.It-can-mean-lots-from-diet-working-well-to-thyroid-OR-stress.Doc-will-sort-it.......let-me-know-how-it-goes
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just made the diary public. I eat a lot of sweets, I know... :/

I've always exercised, though, and I drink probably 8-10 glasses of water a day because my meds give me major dry mouth, so I've never had an issue with water weight. I've noticed physical changes too- my lower belly pooch is going away, I lost half an inch off my waist and my thighs are no longer touching.
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn just to stay alive. You should multiply by an activity measurement. For a sendetery lifestyle multiply bij 1.2, for a very active lifestyle you multiply by 1.8. For most people who do some kind of sports 2/3 times a week, 1.5 should do.
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    I've done that- sorry if I wasn't clear.
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    bump
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be so obvious...but if you're losing weight too fast, eat more.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    The amount of sugar in your log made me feel sick l0l. Well it's not that much, but considering you don't eat that much at all I don't think junk should make up such a large portion of your diet

If you're losing too quick might wana raise your cals a bit. Initially it's okay to lose a few lbs quickly but generally should aim for 1-2 lbs a week to minimise muscle loss etc

Physique wise you look good in your pic though
  • jadams1650
    jadams1650 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I think a lot of us wish we had your problem. Discuss with your Doctor if you are concerned, but my guess is this will level out. Nobody can violate the laws of thermodynamics.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I know it seems like a lot, but my weight can fluctuate by about 5 pounds, just because of having an empty stomach, or not, drinking a lot of water, or not. Add that to 2 pounds of actual loss of body fat, and you've got a 7 pound loss in one week.

Your diary is making me hungry. A girl needs her protein though, especially when she's dieting. It helps you keep your lean body mass, which helps you keep the weight off in the long run.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be so obvious...but if you're losing weight too fast, eat more.
    ^^this.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your doctor while you were there?

If you keep losing at this rate, call her back. If you don't, forget about it.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is another case of "for now I wouldn't worry too much, bodies can be odd, but if it keeps up talk to your doc". Try adjusting on your own for now, eat more and mostly nutritious. If you still keep dropping with that in another couple weeks, get yourself an appointment. If you were lower weight I'd say "go to your doctor NOW just in case", but you express that for your frame you're about 15lbs from goal weight so you have a bit of flex time to tinker with yourself.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You have 15lbs to lose and you exercise daily; you should be eating more. Change your goal to lose half a pound a week and eat back your exercise calories (this was how MFP was designed).
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    When I started here, I lost 12 pounds the first week, then, I can't remember, but several the next week. It was fine, I was fine. It should level off. If it's really scaring you, eat more. No biggie. If it continues, then would be the time to talk to your doctor.

Also, you're young, and likely don't have the years and years of body abuse that a lot of us have. Some of our bodies can't be shocked anymore. lol
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You could definetely be eating more if you are strength traiining. I'm the same height and more than twice your age and I could lose on 1650 with just walking 30 mins a day for exercise. It isn't good to lose so fast when you aren't too big as you know. It says you've been a member since March 2012 so hard to know if you've just started dieting a year later or not and if it is your first week it will be a lot to do with water weight.
  • smartandtrim
    Options
    I've been dieting since last March so it isn't just the first week... as for the amount of sugar, it's because I eat a lot of fruit, haha. I am kind of limited in my choices since I spend a lot of time in bed (I'm pretty much housebound due to medical issues). My doctor didn't seem too concerned, though, which worries me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting since last March so it isn't just the first week... as for the amount of sugar, it's because I eat a lot of fruit, haha. I am kind of limited in my choices since I spend a lot of time in bed (I'm pretty much housebound due to medical issues). My doctor didn't seem too concerned, though, which worries me.

Actually, in the past two days you've had two apples, 18 cookies, a fruit filled pastry, and 5 pieces of bread. You might want to rethink (or at least realize) where most of your sugar is coming from.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Actually, in the past two days you've had two apples, 18 cookies, a fruit filled pastry, and 5 pieces of bread. You might want to rethink (or at least realize) where most of your sugar is coming from.

Better than having a bunch of beer.