Trying to get back on track after tragedy

Options
JamieK84
JamieK84 Posts: 24 Member
Hi guys. I was part of the My Fitness Pal family from about June - October of last year. I ended up going from 224 lbs. down to 180 lbs. and I was so happy, I thought nothing could derail me. Then in October my mom passed away and I've had a lot of trouble coping with it. I used it as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, because food at least took my mind off of things, if only for a second. I weighed myself today and was sad to see 197.8 lbs. So I feel like today is the day I need to stop making excuses and get back to being healthy again. I deleted my previous account because I just didn't want to deal with it at the moment, so I apologize to the friends I bailed on (my user name was originally JamesterCK). If any one wants to join me on my journey and offer moral support, I would really appreciate it; I'll do the same in return!

Replies

• joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate, did the same thing when my Mom passed. Welcome back......You took giant step coming back. Good Luck and I will add you.....
  • lyndyloolaa
    lyndyloolaa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi there, your story really touched my heart. I've struggled with my weight all of my life but the final straw came when I lost my Dad and Nanna (who was more like a Mum to me than my Mum) a couple of years ago. I'm determined to make them proud of me as I know they would be for looking after myself. Feel free to add me, I'd love to keep up with you on your journey :)
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Good for you for coming back! I lost my mom very suddenly 3 years ago and it took me this long to get to where I am not despondent over it. It was/is the hardest thing I've ever been through and I still miss her everyday. However, I've decided that the best way to honor and remember her is for me to live my best life. It won't be long before you're back on track and feeling good again. Feel free to add me for support!
  • mistibalch
    mistibalch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your tragic loss. I can completely understand what your going through. I had the same thing to happen to me with my father. He was killed on his motorcycle, and I'm an only child, which means I had a lot of hard decisions to make concerning my mother. The time has passed, and things have gotten easier, but I let myself go by feeding my depression, and neglecting myself. I weighed myself at the end of last year, and said this has to stop! So, on January 1st I deccided to make a change for myself, and become healither, and now I am 35 pounds down. I would be happy to add you as a friend on my journey!
  • nm8962
    nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear of your loss. .
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom. No one can replace the love and support of a Mom. I lost Dad 12 years ago and thought that was hard, Mom 5 years ago. That still to this day rocks my world. Welcome back to the MFP community and feel free to add me for support. Good luck on your journey and know that your Mom will always be with you. :)
  • Angie52732
    Angie52732 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! My tragedies weren't quite that tragic but it took a toll on me none-the-less. I have been steadily losing over the last year and was starting a 90 day challenge at teh boot camp I belong to last summer/fall. Three weeks into it my son and his friend had a four-wheeler, dirt-bike accident. My son (18) ended up having a broken arm which required surgery for plate and pins. His friend had a head injury. Both have recovered completely and are doing well. Three weeks after the accident my husband had called me and said he wasn't feeling well. He had stayed home that day and this was about 5pm. I got home and took his blood pressure and it was 214/160. We sat in the ER for about 7 hours and when they couldn't get it to come down with the injected meds they admitted him. They did a few tests during his 3 day stay, prescribed meds but it still wasn't coming down nice - it was around 150ish/100ish area. We ended up going thru a multitude of tests- nuclear stress, angiogram, carotoid ultrasound, blood work, kidney ultrasound....and on and on... found nothing related to his heart. Deemed it as high blood pressure due to stress, anxiety and life style. We own a plumbing company and I work full time outside of that. Our 18 year old son had some fast growing up as he had to man the field work and phones over the next 6 weeks - lucky he was only in a soft cast at this point. The guys would eat lunch out every day so that didn't help their issues. Over the last several months I have begun cooking batch lunches for them to take to work with them. This helps cut down on their sodium levels.

During all this, I lost myself. I was so consumed with getting them to their appointments, not missing any of my work, getting book work done for the company that I gained about 15 lbs back. I still made it to boot camp but didn't get anything extra in. My eating slipped drastically - I was not really watching what I ate, how often I ate or anything. By now we are into the first of the year. It was time to take myself back.

I started honing in the food and 3 weeks ago started the 90 day challenge up again. I am getting the extra cardio in and in 3 weeks I have dropped about 5 lbs and my caliper test numbers have dropped - my leg alone went down 7 points in 3 weeks.

We all face times in our lives where we stumble and struggle and eventually have to pick ourselves back up. Your mom is watching over you and she will always be there to guide you. You have a ton of support on this community. Hang in there and you can do this~ Best wishes and again, sorry for your loss!

Angie
  • Renee2817
    Renee2817 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I understand, my grandmother who was like my mother passed away last month, I am just starting to focus on myself again. Good luck and I am with you 100%.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Rather than feeling bad you should be very proud that you understand what you did and want to make changes. I'm a lot older than you and lost my parents many years ago but with age comes other challenges. Me my sister and my best friend all have had breast cancer in the past 2 years (various stages). I ate to cope and since I was lucky enough not to have chemo, food didn't bother me at all. So my point is we all eat emotionally and what matters is taking hold and saying ENOUGH. Welcome and I wish you all the success you want with your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    sent you a request
  • NancyG55
    NancyG55 Posts: 86
    Options
    Hi, and you have my sympathy. Like so many others here, I lost my dad at a very early age, he was just turned 47, and I was 20, and that really hurt so bad years ago. I lost my mom also, though it was about 8 years ago. I understand how it can rock your world and send you spinning out of control. All I can say is, it will get easier, even though it doesn't feel like it. Good for you for taking control and trying to get your health back on track once again. I sent you a friend request.