Sweat poll...

Options
Heather75
Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
I am currently on medication that makes me perspire like crazy. When you are at the gym and you see someone sweating profusely, do you get grossed out, not care, or not really notice?

It doesn't really matter - just curious to know how people may perceive me.

Thank you!

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm that person and I don't care if someone else thinks I'm gross. The only thing I hate is when people don't wipe off the machines, sweaty or not
  • Heather75
    Options
    Yeah, I hate that, too. It's disgusting. And germy.
  • tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am also on a medication that makes me sweat a bit more. I don't really give a care what people think, i'm gettin my workout on and I feel cleansed after a good sweat. Have you taken a look around at how many people get good and sweaty doing cardio? There are lots so I wouldn't worry about it. I agree with the wiping down of machines though. That is just a common courtesy and every one should do it.
  • freehold1979
    Options
    I havent been to the gym in a long time but I would admire someone for working hard enough to be dripping sweat. But yeah i would throw a bottle of the sani-wipes at them if they didnt wipe the machine down. May i ask what med you are on.
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't go to the gym because I think it's boring, but I do take exercise classes and I am too busy sweating profusely and trying to keep up with the instructor and avoid passing out that I am not paying any attention to what anyone else is doing.
  • jtotheno
    jtotheno Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I sweat like crazy in the summer, I hate it. But when you're in the gym, you're supposed to be sweaty! lol, I can't imagine anyone really caring, as they are all sweaty too. If the medication is making you sweat even when you're not wokring out, I do have a GREAT suggestion. I use a dust from Kama Sutra, called Honey Dust. Mine tastes and smells like Strawberry, and you put it on with a feather applicator, and you do not sweat, wherever you put it! It is amazing, and not just for dirty stuff because it's by Kama Sutra, lol. I use it on my daughters as well, because they are both heavy sweaters and it prevents the rash that they can get in the summer, on the back of the neck and under the chin, etc. I LOVE IT! I think I paid like $15 for the tin, and it was WELL worth it. I will never be without it! And I use it on my thighs, neck, forehead, everywhere, it's incredible. And it's all natural.
  • Heather75
    Options
    Good. So far it looks like no one cares. I wouldn't care about seeing that either, but some of the people at my gym seem to apply makeup before working out...:laugh:
  • Heather75
    Options
    jtotheno, I like that idea. I might try it. Thanks!
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if they are sweaty, but I hate if they don't have a towel/are sweating all over everything/don't wipe equipment down. I sweat a good deal but it's easy: Sweat. Towel. Forehead. Repeat as needed.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I think I need to work harder. That person is working out way harder then I am. :smile: You go and do your thing The serious people are to busy to be watching what others are doing.
  • obifatkanobi
    obifatkanobi Posts: 190
    Options
    I think it's a good indication that the person is putting in a good workout. Do I think it's gross? No, it's natural, it's healthy, and in it's own way, it's actually kind of sexy. That's my opinion, but like nkk74 stated, please don't leave the equipment sweaty.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    more power to em' I say:drinker:
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh, please...PLEASE don't worry!!! Of all the things to worry about :) ... I can understand though why you would want to know and why you would be curious as to what others would think. I honestly never thought about it or paid any attention until you I read this post! My grossosity (is that a word?) is that I have to change deodorants about every 2 weeks otherwise I stink. Nasty, right? I use antibacterial soap and am a hygiene freak...but for whatever reason, they just stop working on me. Hormone related, I think. We all have our "things"...
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't care about other people sweating, looks to me like someone really going for it, and I perspire like crazy in summer.

Something that can happen, not sure how commonly... this summer I started getting a sensation in my back vaguely as though knives were cutting it. Drove me nuts, and required moisturiser rubbed into my back to solve. At first I wondered what the hell was going on, but others explained it was the sweat stripping oil out of my skin which tightened as it dried. Was extremely unpleasant at it's worst.
  • dfwtxmissy
    dfwtxmissy Posts: 102
    Options
    I may be odd but sweating makes me feel like I accomplished something. I am not the only one sweating so it doesn't bother me.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't go to the gym because I think it's boring, but I do take exercise classes and I am too busy sweating profusely and trying to keep up with the instructor and avoid passing out that I am not paying any attention to what anyone else is doing.

That's me too. And if someone exercising with me is wearing makeup, I would never, ever notice because I would be trying too hard to get my breath. I always wear a headband and have a towel with me.