Anyone else celebrating Passover?

Options
bgh707
bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
How is this going to affect your mealplan?

Replies

• caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    yes but i'm not as strict as some may be.. haven't planned out this years meals yet. will have to start thinking about that since this year i'm making better choices. let me know what your ideas are maybe we can give ideas to each other : )
  • randee95
    randee95 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes, I will be celebrating passover! I don't keep kosher for passover though, so that makes things a little easier. I usually make chocolate covered matzoh for my family, but this year I'll be skipping it. My plan is to eat everything, but keep my portions on the smaller side and just enjoy myself. :)
  • bgh707
    Options
    My parents are Orthodox, so I'm used to a very strict Passover, even though I'm not myself. I actually just started a low-carb regimen about two weeks ago, so it's been preparing me well :). I try my best to avoid matzah...I eat a lot of egg dishes, fruits, and vegetables, I guess typical of what I eat most of the time. But I was curious about everyone else!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Celebrating here.... but NOT strictly.

I eat way more than my fair share of haroset (and whole wheat matzo), and homemade stock with matzoball soup. YUMMMY!!!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump. Just curious as to what people will be doing. :)
  • bgh707
    Options
    Same here! Guess there aren't a lot of us up here.
  • littleengine74
    Options
    I'm not Jewish but my boyfriend is, so I'll have to fit both nights into my meal plan. My usual plan is to try to work in a bit of extra exercise through the day, just take a little of everything, and not worry about it too much if I'm over. I'm going to have to try really hard to stay away from his Aunt's desserts though... she makes one with matza crackers... uses them as a base and tops them with some sort of a caramel topping and chocolate that basically turns them into a kosher Skor bar. They're delicious and very hard to resist.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yea. I think I.l be ok. Will just carefully track the matzah. My ex husband is Sephardic, so I took on the traction of eating rice and legumes. Lets definitely share any ideas once the holiday stars. .
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

I eat way more than my fair share of haroset (and whole wheat matzo), and homemade stock with matzoball soup. YUMMMY!!!
    We will celebrate as well and as others have said, not strictly. I'll to stay clear of some things but gotta have my matzoball soup:laugh:
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I will go to my parents house for the Seder. I don't keep Kosher for Passover at home, I'm just not observant anymore. I do teach at a Jewish preschool, so snacks and lunches will be KFP all week. And the cafe at work will be closed for the holiday. It's always a challenge. I don't think it will effect my weight though, because I'll eating 'normally' for breakfast and dinner.

Just remember...for every piece of matzah you eat, also eat something with fiber!!!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

We will celebrate as well and as others have said, not strictly. I'll to stay clear of some things but gotta have my matzoball soup:laugh:

Well, Matzahball Soup goes without saying.
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Not sure what our plans are, but the key for me will be portion control. Anytime there's a family gathering, the amount of food around is simply OUT OF CONTROL. Being a grazer (by nature), I have a terrible time resisting the urge to go back for 2nds, 3rds, 4ths (you get get the picture). Soooooooo, I'm going to need to do some planning in advance, even though I KNOW I won't be able to keep strictly within my limits (kinda like Thanksgiving).....
  • lmd1676
    lmd1676 Posts: 17
    Options
    Yeah I am. It's going to be hard since most of the stuff that my family makes is a form of delicious matzo with oil.... :/ I guess I have to really control myself and exercise twice as much if I want all the goodies during the holiday!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There are only a handful of holidays each year when my whole family is together, eating traditional meals together (passover, rosh hashana, thanksgiving... is there more?) Those are the rare occasions where I don't even log and I eat what I want. I have tastes of things in the kitchen before the meal is even served, i enjoy seconds of potatoes, and indulge some cookies and cake for desert. mmmm mom's walnut cake *drools*
  • mellimeter
    mellimeter Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I will not be following a strict Passover diet, but I celebrate too :) I know we'll have plenty of brisket and matzo ball soup!